Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

991 GT3 Not Available with Manual Gearbox . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 991 GT3 Not Available with Manual Gearbox . . .

It's Armageddon!!!

New Porsche 991 GT3. First Drive. - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

It's bad enough you haven't been able to buy a Ferrari with a stick since the F430. Now Porsche?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

There goes another .......BMW M5/M6 may be one of the last affordable "supercars" with a manual.
    But really,if i make 50+ miles in the LA traffic i wouldnt buy a manual.But I come from a place where stick is the norm,not a luxury

Comment

I'm the guy who wouldn't trade my 38-year-old car for anything. So I'm conflicted on this one. But we can't shift as fast as the computers can, now. When a technology gets left behind, technologically, I think you've got to let it go. At least when it comes to newest-fastest models.
      Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
      What? An awesome video about me and my car
      My Corner-By-Corner Guide to Willow Springs
      My Two-Car Garage's Very Own Website

Comment

Originally posted by bawareca View Post
        There goes another .......BMW M5/M6 may be one of the last affordable "supercars" with a manual.
        But really,if i make 50+ miles in the LA traffic i wouldnt buy a manual.But I come from a place where stick is the norm,not a luxury
        I didn't know you could still get an M5/M6 with a manual. An M3, but not M5/M6. I am glad if you are right about that. I don't care how bad the traffic is, I manually shift my NSX, and my Evo, with a smile on my face . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
          I'm the guy who wouldn't trade my 38-year-old car for anything. So I'm conflicted on this one. But we can't shift as fast as the computers can, now. When a technology gets left behind, technologically, I think you've got to let it go. At least when it comes to newest-fastest models.
          This is how I feel about it. I doubt train conductors lament the absence of shoveling coal into a fire. I love using a stick shift, but I foresee the end and I'll get over it.
          2001 MR2-Eleven
          Experience Points: 21
          Youtube Channel.

Comment

Sooner or later. Computer will be able to steer the car faster than me. We will all sit at track side, under BRP awning. And let our race cars race !!
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
              I didn't know you could still get an M5/M6 with a manual. An M3, but not M5/M6. I am glad if you are right about that. .
              Yeah,and the manual performs worse than the SMG,but as you say you cant replace the feeling of being in full control.I believe the last generation M5/M6 was specially made with stick for USA only(as funny as it sounds).The situation may be similar with the current generation,but i know for sure that you can buy one manual with [only 6 speeds ] here in the US.

Comment

I prefer a stick shift and clutch pedal. Can a car be shifted faster with computer-controlled steering wheel actuated paddle shifters and F1 twin-clutch slushbox, while your left foot falls asleep? Yes. But that doesn't make it better to an old geezer like me . . .
                Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah a paddle shifter is faster (and easier) and opens the market to more people who can't drive a stick or prefer not to. So it accomplishes 2 goals (faster laps and increased market segment). Win/win? No, the purists get left out. I think for that reason it should always be an option on a performance sports car. Personally, I find driving an automatic car very boring even with paddle shifters. It's just more fun and engaging to shift gears.

On the other side of the spectrum, the ZO6, camaro Z28, boss 302, and shelby GT500 only come with a manual option. No auto. So the USA still has a large segment of old school muscle car enthusiasts and probably their kids who grew up driving their dad's cool cars like I did (65 GTO tri carb, 65 stingray big block, 63 Studebaker Avanti, etc) who still prefer an old school stick shift in a modern day muscle or sports car.
                  99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                  99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
                    On the other side of the spectrum, the ZO6, camaro Z28, boss 302, and shelby GT500 only come with a manual option. No auto. So the USA still has a large segment of old school muscle car enthusiasts and probably their kids who grew up driving their dad's cool cars like I did (65 GTO tri carb, 65 stingray big block, 63 Studebaker Avanti, etc) who still prefer an old school stick shift in a modern day muscle or sports car.
                    I think that's a very interesting observation. Ferrari and now Porsche are not offering manual gearboxes (well Porsche still offers them on lesser models than the GT3). But American car companies still offer sticks on their highest performance cars. I am not a fan of American cars, generally speaking, except for the Corvette. But you make a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                      I didn't know you could still get an M5/M6 with a manual. An M3, but not M5/M6. I am glad if you are right about that. I don't care how bad the traffic is, I manually shift my NSX, and my Evo, with a smile on my face . . .
                      Cars for Sale: 2013 BMW M5 in Santa Clara, CA 95051: Sedan Details - 349694199 - AutoTrader.com

You can get the F10 M5 in manual. It's rare, but they are out there.
                      2015 GT3
                      2013 GT-R (Sold)
                      2009 GT-R (Sold)

Comment

No Mezger engine and no manual transmission, this GT3 is a radical departure.

Many reasons for these changes:
                        - Cheaper to produce: now the engine is based on the production-version Carrera engine, same as the transmission. The Mezger engine was very, very expensive to produce for a few niche models.
                        - Emissions/MPG: Direct injection + 7 ratios has a clear advantage.
                        - Faster. Yes, deal with it.

I recently drove a 991 Carrera S with PDK and came away quite impressed. The handling is in a different league compared with my 996, and the gearbox is quite competent. Yo do feel more disconnected, that´s for sure... GTR-ish. At least it´s still RWD.
                        Less powah is better

Comment

This is why companies like Singer will stay in business. And more importantly, all 911's will appreciate in value.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurburgring View Post
                            - Emissions/MPG: Direct injection + 7 ratios has a clear advantage.
                            This probably has a lot more to do with it than anything; especially with supercars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon H View Post
                              Cars for Sale: 2013 BMW M5 in Santa Clara, CA 95051: Sedan Details - 349694199 - AutoTrader.com

You can get the F10 M5 in manual. It's rare, but they are out there.
                              Damn, that's a nice car . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X