Are 996 Prices going up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 996 Prices going up?

I have been keeping my eye out for a 2002 - 2004 996 Coupe 6MT. A year ago, you could buy a high mileage example for under $20K, and an earlier 996 (2000 MY) for $18K. Now about the cheapest looks like $23K - $24K on AutoTrader. Is it just the economy picking up or what?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Yes. All Porsche prices have increased. The 996 has not increase as much as some of the other Porsches but it has still gone up. Porsche Excellence magazine does a market analysis of each car on a regular basis.
    Elise
    MR2 Spyder
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
      I have been keeping my eye out for a 2002 - 2004 996 Coupe 6MT. A year ago, you could buy a high mileage example for under $20K, and an earlier 996 (2000 MY) for $18K. Now about the cheapest looks like $23K - $24K on AutoTrader. Is it just the economy picking up or what?
      I thought you were buying a Volt now.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
        Yes. All Porsche prices have increased. The 996 has not increase as much as some of the other Porsches but it has still gone up. Porsche Excellence magazine does a market analysis of each car on a regular basis.
        According to that market survey, 996 Coupe prices have gone down Excellence :: Buyers Guide : 911: 1999-2008

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
          I thought you were buying a Volt now.
          I never said I was going to buy the revolting Volt. Just wanted to know what they cost.

Comment

A few years ago you could find 964s all day for around 20k with 60-90k miles. Now they are starting at 25 if you can even find one. They are all cabs and c4s.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
              According to that market survey, 996 Coupe prices have gone down Excellence :: Buyers Guide : 911: 1999-2008
              Yes. But the expected decrease is less than what it was.
              Elise
              MR2 Spyder
              Mazda RX7 FD
              Porsche 911E

Comment

Richard, do you know specifically which carreras had the turd engines?

Comment

before 2002

Comment

The 3.4L 996 was 1999-2001 and seems to have more engine issues. The main issues are the RMS (rear main seal) and the IMS (intermediate shaft bearing). I have a 2004 and did have an rear main seal oil leak but after replacing it with the updated seal I don't have any more issues (it wasn't really a huge leak to begin with). From what I have gathered from talking to mechanics is the cars that are seldom driven and not driven hard seem to have more issues with these items. I have been tracking my car for years without issue as some of you know. The 996 is a whole lot faster on track than the 993 or 964...

I still think you can find some decent deals on the 2002+ 996.

Comment

2003+ 996 prices seem close to early Cayman S. Which is faster?
                      Elise
                      MR2 Spyder
                      Mazda RX7 FD
                      Porsche 911E

Comment

used car prices are not decreasing like they usually do. Some pockets are flat, and some are even up. New car prices are up a lot, and there are supply issues for new cars still. therefore, used car demand is up.
                        Turn your iphone into an action camera:
                        www.igloocase.com
                        www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Comment

this has been brought up many time on Chump Car forum. lately it is getting much more difficult finding cheap used cars. price have held up well..

I can tell you that used Miata price have gone up quite a bit in last year or so.
                          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                          17 GT350R
                          03 Miata Club Sport
                          96 NSX
                          06 EVO MR
                          15 Mini Cooper S
                          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
                            2003+ 996 prices seem close to early Cayman S. Which is faster?
                            Get a Cayman S for the track as they are a much better balanced car and should be faster at most tracks. The 996 does have a bit more power but they are still hindered by the pendulum butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd R View Post
                              Get a Cayman S for the track as they are a much better balanced car and should be faster at most tracks. The 996 does have a bit more power but they are still hindered by the pendulum butt.
                              Coming from a driver who really enjoys tracking his 996, well, I would take that advice. Cayman is definitley a better-balanced car.

Too bad Porsche will never drop a GT3 motor in the Cayman, because it would cut into 911 sales horribly.

Comment

Working...
                              X