Collapse

Oil Cooler for 350Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I just looked through the service manuals and you are correct. The VQ35HR and the VQ37 both did not have a oil cooler. I saw pre-production 370's and they did have oil coolers, so I assumed the production one did as well. So that makes adding an oil cooler to a 370 that is going to be used on track absolutely critical.

Another change over the years was the water flow between the head and the block. Jim Wolf Technology has a nice page on their site that details the differences in flow from model to model.

The reason that the VQ series are hard to bleed is all the bypass hoses going through different areas and the heater core. 2003-2006 are the worst. Unless you use a vacuum bleeding tool, it is difficult to get all the air out. The dealership and some good repair/tuning shops use this tool.
    We point your tires in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by M-Workz View Post
      Well I just looked through the service manuals and you are correct. The VQ35HR and the VQ37 both did not have a oil cooler. I saw pre-production 370's and they did have oil coolers, so I assumed the production one did as well. So that makes adding an oil cooler to a 370 that is going to be used on track absolutely critical.

Another change over the years was the water flow between the head and the block. Jim Wolf Technology has a nice page on their site that details the differences in flow from model to model.

The reason that the VQ series are hard to bleed is all the bypass hoses going through different areas and the heater core. 2003-2006 are the worst. Unless you use a vacuum bleeding tool, it is difficult to get all the air out. The dealership and some good repair/tuning shops use this tool.
      yeah the pre prod 370s had coolers just to make it through the mag tests, then left the public with nothing for oil cooling, whic is upsetting because instead of people sayin positive things about the chassis and dynamics of the car, they say "needs a oil cooler" :/

ill check out the JWT info, thank you

have you had to bleed the water in a 370 yet? cause i want to be able to do it myself at home since i do most of my own work. Just trying to figure out what exactly i need for the fututre

btw on a side note, sorry i didnt catch you and introduce myself at Kojima's party, ill make sure to say hello next time i see you

Comment

Originally posted by Zazz View Post
        Get a cooler, I found out the hard way on my first track day a few years back... Granted, my case was based on running conventional oil, in 95+ degree heat, doing fairly high rpm (4500-6600) lead and follow excercises without keeping a close eye on the water temps - so I'll add inexperience as a factor too. Regardless, the cooler is a great idea, but I've heard claims people are using the largest AN lines and fittings they can find, and that could have an effect on the pressure. I use a cooler with AN 10 hose and think its the most common (Stillen fits a AN 8, Nismo specs AN 10 on their coolers). IMO, Nissan should have spec'd both cars with a cheap cooler, but I understand 90% of the owners will never tax the engine that hard.

As far as pressures, they should be higher than 14 psi at idle and 45 psi around 2000 on a warm engine.
        Thanks. Much appreciated. Good benchmark and practical advise.

Comment

Working...
        X