Oil Cooler for 350Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler for 350Z

Oil pressure in my 2008 350Z seems to hold up pretty well on track days, but I hear a lot about oil pressure issues - especially in the 370Z. Any thoughts out there - pro or con - regarding oil cooler intalls?

if you are having oil pressure issues, i don't think it is an oil cooler you should be after? You need something like an accusump instead. Oil cooler only cools the oil , it does nothing to maintain pressure.

Edit: ok, unless it runs so hot that it vaporizes the oil. than an oil cooler will help.

Comment

350's dont have the same high oil temp issues 370s do, but none the less a oil cooler is always a good idea

Comment

You might try a higher coolant pressure if the radiator can endure. I'd be interested to see if that helps the oil temps.
        Andrew M Brilliant
        Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Comment

Unless you are running boost or in a enduro, it's really not needed a oil pan with baffles is a good safety measure.
          If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Comment

I have not had an issue with oil pressure in my 2008 350z but I do run an oil cooler just as a margin of safety.

Comment

^btw just curious, what oil cooler are you running? it seems to be harder to find oil cooler kits that fit nismo 350s

Comment

What are your oil temps currently? Is the issue temp or pressure?

Originally posted by gixxer_drew View Post
                You might try a higher coolant pressure if the radiator can endure. I'd be interested to see if that helps the oil temps.
                While raising the coolant pressure raises the boiling point, how do you suspect that would have an influence on oil temps?

Comment

Billy,

I'm just thinking that high oil temps can sometimes be indicative of an overall issue with cooling and local pressures is a common one. One car I worked on, it solved a lot of issues including oil temps. It's also about $8 to try.
                  Last edited by gixxer_drew; 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM.
                  Andrew M Brilliant

Comment

^how do you go about doing this Drew? i wanna try it with my Z

Comment

^get a higher psi rating radiator cap?

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer_drew View Post
                        Billy,

I'm just thinking that high oil temps can sometimes be indicative of an overall issue with cooling and local pressures is a common one. One car I worked on, it solved a lot of issues including oil temps. It's also about $8 to try.
                        What was the oil temp delta from that specific issue? I would think an oil cooler would cause a far greater drop in temp.

Comment

I am for sure doing a significantly big oil cooler on my Z, i was just curious as to how to go about getting the higher pressure like Drew said

Comment

Just get a higher pressure cap. Kind of scary for a street car where things are weak and expensive to replace. Monitor the coolant pressure so you know if something goes wrong plastic end tanks would be my guess for a first victim. I got rid of my stock cap to give me options on the eclipse.
                            Last edited by gixxer_drew; 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM.
                            Andrew M Brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                              What was the oil temp delta from that specific issue? I would think an oil cooler would cause a far greater drop in temp.
                              I wouldn't disagree with you at all on that, i dont mean to say do that rather than cooling the oil. I'm seeking experimentation to understand before a more direct solution. Maybe I'm just mumbling but based on the description, I'm following on the 350Z to 370Z, "ok so whats changed?" logic. Something is odd about two cars that are so similar and one is putting a lot more heat into the oil with a similar or same cooling capacity for it. There are advantages to using water to move heat and its a hunch about how they do things at nissan. Castings are expensive.

The car I was talking about had to shut down at 300F, had heaps of BTUs going in/out through the oil and had more clean air oil heat exchanger surface are than water. N/A Engine that had gone turbo was suspect. There were other issues resolved at the same time, pressure was the big change and temps were stable at 250-265 after that. It was a nightmare for aero until they resolved it.
                              Last edited by gixxer_drew; 10-08-2011, 02:45 PM.
                              Andrew M Brilliant

Comment

Working...
                              X