My "budget" Spec Miata build to go racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    forgot to mention. that Rob was in 2nd place behind me, hounding me. I was going to let him by if he caught me (which he almost did), but he had some issues and retired early.

I was having some issue talking on radio and driving at same time. I would lose concentration and miss apexes like 10 feet . regular track day require concentration on driving only. but at last night's enudro. I was tired, watching traffic (letting fast prototypes by), talking on radio (a lot), watching apexes/braking points/track out pints at night (first and difficult for me) and fighting for position. 10 minutes before sunset. I was blind through Bus Stop. lots of first time for me.
    +1

Early on I was good about holding line while on the radio. Towards the end of the race I started get too bold trying to use the radio in more technical sections and put two off with two laps to go. Noes!

It was hard work staying on line when there was no one in front. I could feel the strain and recognized that it could lead to fatigue and a mistake. Normally I just do it by feel and scanning but the low visibility made that method sketchy. I started picking braking and turn in markers in every turn. By having markers, I could just focus on those and pick my way around at a decent pace without straining to find apexes at the beginning.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Glowing Rotors In The Night: Western Endurance Racing Championship Round 5

Comment

Two of our TrackHQers leading their class:

Setting the fastest lap of their class and winning E3 (the largest class of the WERC series) was the number 05 Mazda Miata of Team 949 Racing.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

congrats guys.
          Turn your iphone into an action camera:
          www.igloocase.com
          www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post
            congrats guys.
            ^This.
            Driving to the limit is my goal.
            Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
            2013 NASA TTD National Champion
            NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
            Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

YouTube - Team 949racing at NASA Enudro 10/09/10 Buttonwillow, 2 hot laps by Emilio

Night driving video. 2 laps. Not emilio's fastest lap, which was 2:06.2. This was 1-2 sec slower.

Mine was bad. My best in complete dark was 2:10. I was faster only if I was following another car. which I did. I purposely didn't pass a slower car that was ~1 second slower, so I can follow him, and use his lights to my advantage.
              Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM.
              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Same video, embedded

[YOUTUBE]56ZcOFxKHEk[/YOUTUBE]
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Comment

Wow... I should buy some new lights. You guys have like 5x more light than me.

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                    YouTube - Team 949racing at NASA Enudro 10/09/10 Buttonwillow, 2 hot laps by Emilio

Night driving video. 2 laps. Not emilio's fastest lap, which was 2:06.2. This was 1-2 sec slower.

Mine was bad. My best in complete dark was 2:10. I was faster inly if I was following another car
                    Wow, that was crazy. It really shows the elevation changes of the track. If I had to use the video I would have missed the turn-in on the sweeper both times. Thanks for posting, now I'm not in as much of a hurry to participate.

e
                    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                      Wow, that was crazy. It really shows the elevation changes of the track. If I had to use the video I would have missed the turn-in on the sweeper both times. Thanks for posting, now I'm not in as much of a hurry to participate.

e
                      Relax Eric, it's not quite as bad as it looks. You just pick out new reference points. Also, I suspect that with eyesight rather than the camera you can see a little further than the video suggests. Not at all well, but enough.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                        Relax Eric, it's not quite as bad as it looks. You just pick out new reference points. Also, I suspect that with eyesight rather than the camera you can see a little further than the video suggests. Not at all well, but enough.
                        That's why I said "if I had to use video". I do have a pretty good idea about what video cameras can do.

e
                        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                          That's why I said "if I had to use video". I do have a pretty good idea about what video cameras can do.

e
                          Ahh. Also, the reflectors make it pretty darned easy considering.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                            Ahh. Also, the reflectors make it pretty darned easy considering.
                            +1

The video shows it a little darker than it was from my perspective. I'd say I could see 30' further or so than it appears in the video.

Getting reference points is key. I'm not a pilot but I assume it's a bit like IFR. I couldn't always see the apexes when braking but I knew my braking and turn in points at every turn so just hitting the marks was everything.
                            WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Comment

Working...
                            X