My "budget" Spec Miata build to go racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "budget" Spec Miata build to go racing

As few of you know, I am going racing this year. I want a thread that logged what I've done.

Most would say the cheapest way to go racing is Spec Miata. While that is true, national caliber SM runs up to $40k. So the plan is to build a mid pack+ SM under $10k not including consumables like tires, brake pads, rotors, fluids. and personal items like racing suit, helmet, HANS, etc..., also not including labor - which is not bad in my case.

From experience, I know the best bet is to start with an used SM and go from there. that's what I did.

I picked an NB, because I own another NB (99+) right now, plus one in the past. so I got some spare parts lying around. and it just look sexier to me. The hot ticket in SM now is 99-00 model, because 01+ model has VVT (variable valve timing), SM forum said they haven't figured how to extract more power out of VVT motor yet. That's just strange, because according to the rule book. you can't touch ECU, you can't balance, can't blueprint, can't lighten an engine, can't change intake, can't change header. so what's up with extracting more power ? are they implying cheating ?

jumping into SM world, I learned a new word: "Tech Shed Legal". It took me a while to figure out what that means. It is now considered okay by majority (at least the outspoken ones) to have parts that's tech shed legal, most top guys openly admit to it. I don't plan to run any tech shed legal parts, it just don't seem ethical imo. may be I'll change my mind after I hang out with bad influenced crowd

so I shopped around. found an 03 NB locally. owner's wife (a race shop) planned to race it in SM, she since lost interest in SM. Many of you know this car as a Hello Kitty Miata. there are actually 3 of them. I bought the black one. it is a back marker at races. as it wasn't prepped fully.

when I bought it. they removed the Spec suspension (installed stock suspension), race wheels. car is also open diff, and missing a right side net to go racing. Car had 39k miles, and still street legal with cat and some resonator as muffler.

car already came with roll cage, race seat, shut-off, harness, quick release steering wheel.

Budget:
    Car - $6,000
    x8 Spec Miata wheels - $800 (4 for dry, 4 for wet)
    Spec Miata suspension - $1,500 including hats
    Koyo 55mm radiator - $330
    Center net - $100
    fuel test port - $100
    torsen 4.3 diff - $500
    SCCA restrictor - $40 (to choke down power, so it is no faster than early Miata)
    Springfielddyno exhaust - $260. (this is super loud, just a pipe with 1 resonator)
    front spoiler - $180 (looks sexy, comes painted. new from Mazdaspeed)
    SPA fire system - $330 (6 nozzles, 2 at engine, 2 at me, 2 at fuel tank)

Credit:
    sold stock NB suspension - $300
    swap brakes with another - $200 (03 has bigger sport brake, but SM rules require smaller earlier brakes, so traded someone for it and got some cash).

total spent - $9,640

there are some other expenses, like brake pads and rotors, spec tires, fluids, tax and license (I registered it so it is legal to puff around on street), insurance.

labor is done by Mike Dandan. He gives me good rate not a ton of labor involved here.

2 weeks ago, Emilio took it to NASA races. he finished 6th out of 21 Spec Miata. that's some good driving, as it is his first SM sprint race. car finished 1.4 sec off the pole sitter at qualifying. I say that's pretty good for its first outing. of course that's with Emilio driving. I will probably finish somewhere below mid pack is my guess.

my plan is to go enduro with the car. so probably has to spent a little more money on cool suit setup and pit radio.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Congrats, William. Sounds like a fun new adventure.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Comment

Nice post - have fun.

I don't understand the "tech shed legal" thing. How does a "tech shed legal" part differ from a legitimate spec part?

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
        Nice post - have fun.

I don't understand the "tech shed legal" thing. How does a "tech shed legal" part differ from a legitimate spec part?
        a legitimate spec part is legal everywhere.
        a "tech shed legal" part is legal only in tech shed.

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/u...ic/18/477.html
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

after all the Hello Kitty debadging. with new spoiler. but not on SM wheels
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I agree you need 8 wheels, but not 4 for rain. You need to have extra spec tires ready to go.

I'll trade you a set of used Team Dynamics 1.2 12-spoke flat black 15 x 7 SM wheels for the AP2 wheels you loaned me. They have race tires on them (not SM legal) that don't have much life left. In fact I think I can give you 5 of them.
            Last edited by Richard EVO; 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM.
            The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
            1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Richard: AP2 wheels are actually worth a bit more than that. I paid $500. plus another $50 to bore out the center for the rear so they will fit front.
              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

OK, so what do you think is fair?
                The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
                  Nice post - have fun.

Tech shed legal means it's fine if you can't get caught. In other words, you only obey the rules that are enforceable and ignore the rest.

Comment

Subscribed.
                    Raceline USA

Comment

Looks like your gonna have tons of fun in the near future.
                      Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
                        Looks like your gonna have tons of fun in the near future.
                        ^+1 totally agree
                        william i cannot sleep with all these jealousy growing inside me
                        momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Comment

Can I drive it, please?
                          Driving to the limit is my goal.
                          Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
                          2013 NASA TTD National Champion
                          NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
                          Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by VagaXt View Post
                            Can I drive it, please?
                            With low power and bad suspension they aren't really much of anything to drive. Don't be too jealous guys, it will probably get smashed up soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                              With low power and bad suspension they aren't really much of anything to drive. Don't be too jealous guys, it will probably get smashed up soon enough.
                              I am not coming anywhere close to u
                              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                              17 GT350R
                              03 Miata Club Sport
                              96 NSX
                              06 EVO MR
                              15 Mini Cooper S
                              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X