Collapse

Help me sort out my Miata's suspension!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me sort out my Miata's suspension!

So here's my dilemma. I'm currently running the Tokico HP springs/shocks along with a 1" front FM sway bar on the soft setting with the stock rear bar. The suspension proved to be far too soft at ACR on Sunday as I was rubbing on the unibody on the front two wheels in nearly every corner. Let me make this clear, it's not rubbing on the fenders or the shock towers, so it's not a problem with my wheel's offset (15x7 +30 Team Dynamics). Before the plan was to get a set of Koni Yellow's re-valved to SPSS3 and run H&R Race springs on them. I've heard from some that they are too soft though, so now I want to know what springs I should run with Koni Yellow SPSS3 for a good track setup. I'm not worried about comfort on the street. Thanks for the help

Last edited by bedheadben; 11-24-2009, 09:27 AM.

I think you are just rubbing on the front fender liners, a common Miata thing.

common setup is 9kg/6kg (street). or 12/7kg stiff setup (track). I think Koni yellow barely have enough damping for 9/6kg, probably less.

I would also run front FM sway at stiffest setting. many track Miata runs w/o any rear bar.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I have my fender liners in the front out. Trust me, there is polished metal under there I'm getting very mild understeer with my current setup, but things should change when I change the springs. Are there any springs out there at those rates? And if Yellow's aren't enough for those kinds of rates, than what is (besides coilovers)?
      Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
      I think you are just rubbing on the front fender liners, a common Miata thing.

common setup is 9kg/6kg (street). or 12/7kg stiff setup (track). I think Koni yellow barely have enough damping for 9/6kg, probably less.

I would also run front FM sway at stiffest setting. many track Miata runs w/o any rear bar.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention, the Koni Yellows I'm getting are re-valved to SPSS3 spec. That should be enough shock for any spring I could ever throw on there right?
        Edit: So a 65mm / 10kg / 6IN spring in the front and a 65mm / 6kg / 190mm spring in the rear would be fine right?
        Last edited by bedheadben; 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

sorry, not familiar with SPSS3. that's more of auto-x valving.

10/6kg is fine. about the right balance. and ride decently for a street/track car.

15x7 is also been out of fashion for a while we all run 15x9, may be a few run 15x8

may be Emilio of 949racing will chime in. he is the Miata king.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I'm running 15x7 with the Kuhmo XS in order to fit into Street Class for the Miata Challenge for the final round. They worked great at ACR.

Comment

Isn't Savington running Koni Race shocks with Ground Control sleeves? Not sure what rates he's running but he seems to make it work.

e
              99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
              '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                Isn't Savington running Koni Race shocks with Ground Control sleeves? Not sure what rates he's running but he seems to make it work.

e
                He ran Xida's for SLB and RTA. He was not happy with his 700/450 Koni Race setup so I offered to loan him the protos off the OGK.

bedheadben,

What are your spring rates?
                OEM upper shock mounts and bumpstops?

Occasional rubbing of the shock towers at full compression is normal on big hits. If its doing it continuously, your springs are way too soft. The OEM suspension has tiny wheel rates to give a decent ride, then rides on the bump stops in hard cornering. When the car is lowered the typical 1-2", the roll center is lowered more than the ride height. This increases the leverage the CG has on the roll centers so roll stiffness is reduced. This is why a fast track Miata needs spring rates on the order of 4x that of OEM to handle any bumps well at over 1G lateral acceleration.

Translation: You probably need much stiffer springs or to raise the car up.
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Thanks for the help Emilio. The spring rates are 233lbs front and 138lbs rear. This is what I ran in the Miata Challenge on Sunday. Like I said though, I have some revalved Koni's coming in the mail along with a 65mm / 10kg / 6IN spring in the front and a 65mm / 6kg / 190mm spring in the rear which will hopefully fit.
                  Edit: And yes I'm running OEM upper shock mounts and bump stops. I was thinking of getting some mounts for the rear at least to increase travel a bit.
                  Last edited by bedheadben; 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bedheadben View Post
                    Thanks for the help Emilio. The spring rates are 233lbs front and 138lbs rear. This is what I ran in the Miata Challenge on Sunday. Like I said though, I have some revalved Koni's coming in the mail along with a 65mm / 10kg / 6IN spring in the front and a 65mm / 6kg / 190mm spring in the rear which will hopefully fit.
                    Edit: And yes I'm running OEM upper shock mounts and bump stops. I was thinking of getting some mounts for the rear at least to increase travel a bit.
                    NB mounts with pieces to adapt to the NA shocks are a good idea. FCM has a complete NB hat conversion kit that is proven to work very well.
                    WWW.949RACING.COM
                    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by bedheadben View Post
                      Yep. Put your new springs in. 233lbs front and 138 rear is pretty darned soft.

Or here's a better idea, throw away that girlie car and buy an S2000 so you can earn the respect of metrosexuals everywhere.
                      Please, no guesses or claims as to who I am in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Leisure Suit Louie View Post
                        Yep. Put your new springs in. 233lbs front and 138 rear is pretty darned soft.

Or here's a better idea, throw away that girlie car and buy an S2000 so you can earn the respect of metrosexuals everywhere.

He's baaaack!!!
                        To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Louieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                          Do you understand?

Comment

Hahaha, got my springs in today, I'll hopefully be putting them on pretty soon.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cec1JInytH0[/YOUTUBE]
                              Last edited by Olitho; 11-25-2009, 11:49 PM.
                              To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X