Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

S2000 NA build? or just repair to stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Rob-

It will be virtually impossible for you to rebuild an S2000 engine. The factory tolerances are too tight. Not like the slop tolerances in a Miata motor . . .
    They must be,in the motor that spins to 9000 rpm.

Comment

I never ran a k24. only f20/f22

I say just replace with junk yard. built motors are nice if you want to deal the rebuild cycle. I sure wouldn't bother for something that didn't spend 90+% of it's time on the track. A built motor that runs on pump gas and last a long time will probably barely make any more power than a stock one.

Comment

Rob-

It will be virtually impossible for you to rebuild an S2000 engine. The factory tolerances are too tight. Not like the slop tolerances in a Miata motor . . .
        This isn't true. The main issue is if you have to repair a cylinder you're gonna quickly machine thru the walls and will have to sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by krazik View Post
          This isn't true. The main issue is if you have to repair a cylinder you're gonna quickly machine thru the walls and will have to sleeve.
          Rylan -

I'm not sure you got my exact meaning. I was telling ROB that he can't rebuild the bottom end of an F20. I didn't say no one can, although there have been plenty of F20/F22 rebuilds that have gone KERBLOOM in a short time on track. Rob might have developed the skills to rebuild a Miata bottom end himself, but not an S2K . . .
          The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
          1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

A friend of ours, Andrew McKelvey has swapped a k24 (2.4L) into his AP2. I do not know what's involved but the motors are cheap and robust. They're only safe up to 7400 in stock configuration. K20A2 (2.0L) going into one of our project cars, safe to 8200 stock.
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
              A friend of ours, Andrew McKelvey has swapped a k24 (2.4L) into his AP2. I do not know what's involved but the motors are cheap and robust. They're only safe up to 7400 in stock configuration. K20A2 (2.0L) going into one of our project cars, safe to 8200 stock.
              Emilio -

What whp would you expect to see from a stock K20A2 retrofitted into an S2K?

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
              2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
              2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

about the same as the f22c minus a few thousand dollars.

Besides the K20 and K24 are not at all the same. There are a lot more issues fitting a k20 in an s2k than a k24 mostly because of the water pump.

Comment

Quick search:

Ballade Sports

I no longer have to worry about CARB, so do what you think is prudent.
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

Comment

minus a few thousand dollars or "$3,699.99" also good to know they solved the water pump issue.

Comment

This seems more Burgoon-able:

s2000 LSx Swap Kit
                      Yer pal,
                      Force

Comment

ls2k would be awesome.

Comment

Emilio -

What whp would you expect to see from a stock K20A2 retrofitted into an S2K?
                          Like Rylan said, pretty much the same power but a whole bunch more torque because it has variable cam timing in addition to the VTec. Pretty common for k20a2 to make about 220whp with nothing more than a header, exhaust, tune on a bone stock engine running pump gas. K24 will make a bit more peak but gobs of torque compared to an F20C. K24 is really the way to go if he is contemplating a Honda swap. Lsx swaps also work incredibly well because the engines are so short and compact.
                          WWW.949RACING.COM
                          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

K20 and F22 iirc are about equal in torque. K24 absolutely.

Comment

btw found this: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Strictly Technical > > Re: K20 vs F20c (notyper = shawn church).

IMO if you're not going to the K24 it's not even remotely worth the effort. Just run a F22 w/ a tune and a decent ihe.

Comment

Originally posted by krazik View Post
                                IMO if you're not going to the K24 it's not even remotely worth the effort. Just run a F22 w/ a tune and a decent ihe.
                                The man has spoken. Nobody here comes anywhere close to Rylan's experience racing and modifying an S2K . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X