Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

S2000 NA build? or just repair to stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2000 NA build? or just repair to stock?

Looks like I'll need to replace a piston. Bad Burgoon, no beer.

Anyone want to try to sell me on a NA s2000 build that will pass the smog sniffer and OBD2 check?

Or should I just repair to stock?

Inb4 Richard to recommend Tony Fuchs.
    I'd check with him on smog legal build options first.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 02-06-2015, 02:29 PM.
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

I think Hondas still sells F22C's and you might be able to find cheap in a junkyard. least expensive option (not including your time) is buying a wrecked AP2 cheap off copart et.al, taking the engine, rear suspension and selling off the rest for a near break even. We do this all the time with Miatas.
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
        I think Hondas still sells F22C's and you might be able to find cheap in a junkyard. least expensive option (not including your time) is buying a wrecked AP2 cheap off copart et.al, taking the engine, rear suspension and selling off the rest for a near break even. We do this all the time with Miatas.
        That's a vote against doing any sort of engine build.

Comment

in before someone says K24 swap.........

Rylan just did that ?
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
            in before someone says K24 swap.........

Rylan just did that ?
            Why K24?

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              Why K24?
              Don't even consider it. You'll be right back where you're at now in less than a few track days.

I'm with Emilio, get a new motor. I'm not a fan of rebuilds on these motors.
              Do you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
                Don't even consider it. You'll be right back where you're at now in less than a few track days.

I'm with Emilio, get a new motor. I'm not a fan of rebuilds on these motors.
                I've never touched a bottom end before, so I'll probably attempt the piston change (cheap) just for fun and have the head serviced (cheap). If I fail, I'll do the Emilio plan.

Comment

Is the cylinder damaged?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ1 View Post
                    Is the cylinder damaged?
                    No, walls are pretty much fine, just damaged piston and some scars on the head. I think the head scars can be smoothed out, but a crater near the edge of the piston is bad juju when I turn up the heat.

I understand that you don't wanna hone the fiber liners on hondas, so gonna be a new/used piston and new rings I think.

Maybe reuse rings since no hone.... hmmm...
                    Last edited by robburgoon; 02-06-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I bought a 2005 s2000 from copart a couple of days ago. It's low mileage, 38k, and it wasn't cheap. I don't know what going rate on s2000 powertrains but I bet it's much easier cheaper to just find a used motor. I haven't considered parting out the one I just bought.
                      Elise
                      MR2 Spyder
                      Mazda RX7 FD
                      Porsche 911E

Comment

Just fit it with NOS, dude. Gotta make sure you don't blow the manifold off, though.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                          No, walls are pretty much fine, just damaged piston and some scars on the head. I think the head scars can be smoothed out, but a crater near the edge of the piston is bad juju when I turn up the heat.

I understand that you don't wanna hone the fiber liners on hondas, so gonna be a new/used piston and new rings I think.

Maybe reuse rings since no hone.... hmmm...
                          You are correct, you don't want to get involved in the bottom end with these motors, just swap it.
                          FE3 NA - NB2 SM - 6262 AP1

Comment

Rob-

It will be virtually impossible for you to rebuild an S2000 engine. The factory tolerances are too tight. Not like the slop tolerances in a Miata motor . . .
                            The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                            1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Interesting, looks like honda only sells pistons in sets of 4? They sort by weight maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X