Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

So I'm building an S197 Mustang GT street/track car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbird
    replied
    Took a few pics of the car when Mike came to visit yesterday -

Leave a comment:

• Stuntman
    replied
    The S197's suspension geometry really unloads the rear tires under braking. In our racecars we use Hawk HP+ rear pads because anything more aggressive causes excessive ABS. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading or touching the rears when you go to the Brembo front setup.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbird
    replied
    I still can't believe that I managed to cram the rear trim pieces back in
    Mike's instructions said that _if_ it's possible to get the trim pieces back in that'll be nice but don't compromise the cage work for that.
    So I took some measurements on the trim pieces as a mental note for minimum clearance sideways, but the trim pieces are so big that even getting them in there at all was near impossible by the time the cage was done.
    There was a lot of pushing, shoving, flexing, stretching and choice words involved in getting them in..

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Very cool. Thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    Sorry, about the lack of updates. Busy, busy, busy!

Ok, I got the car back from Moti about a month or so ago. As usual, Moti did a fantastic job. He mouned the Sparco race seats, driver's harness, and built
    and welded in the rear half cage. The rear half cage is a work of art. I love showing it off. Here are some pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	229422Click image for larger version

Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	229423Click image for larger version

Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	229424

Next, stock Mustang GT front brakes are undersized and not up to the task for track days. The proven solution seems to be upgrading to 14" Brembos, cooling ducts, and, of course, DOT 4 brake fluid and track pads. So I installed the 14" Brembo front brake kit, Vorshlag brake cooling duct kit, Agent 47 lower grill with integrated brake cooling air scoops, and ARP long wheel studs and stainless steel brake lines on all 4 corners. Motul 600 brake fluid and Carbotech racing pads front and rear rounded out the brake upgrade. Rear calipers and rotors are the OEM pieces. Here are pics of the 14" Brembos, cooling ducts, and Agent 47 lower grill air scoop:

Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	229425Click image for larger version

Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	229426Click image for larger version

Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	229427

With the brakes taken care of, I installed 18"x9.5" Ford Racing GT500 wheels shod with BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp 2 tires (275/40ZR18). I went with a square setup to allow for 4-wheel tire rotation.

After that, I dropped the car off at Wild Pony Motorsports in Canyon Country to install the camber plates, give it a track alignment, and check that the suspension was installed correctly by the previous owner (it was).

The car is now track ready but I'm not done yet. Future upgrades include installing a CAI, a gauge package (with real gauges), front and rear tow hooks, and have Moti install the Blackbird Fabworx windshield banner.

Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	229428
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 08-17-2014, 05:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    Did you weigh it before hand?
    No, but the interior pieces in the picture weigh about 50-60 lbs total. The even heavier driver's seat still needs to come out.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Did you weigh it before hand?

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    A few hours with basic hand tools and I was able to remove the trunk liners and most of the interior aft of the front seats. I also disabled the airbag system and removed the front airbag-equipped passenger seat. This is to get the car ready for the half-cage installation.

Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	229300

Leave a comment:

• Schmoe Money
    replied
    Such a pretty car!
    I miss my 5.0...

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    Ok, here are some pics of the car before I started removing interior pieces to prepare for the rear half-cage. These are the "before" photos before it gets turned into a street-legal track car.

Later on today the car will be delivered to Moti at Blackbird Fabworx for the rear half-cage and Sparco Evo racing seats/Schroth harnesses installation.

After six days, my mullet haircut is growing in nicely.

Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	229299Click image for larger version

Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	229298Click image for larger version

Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	229297
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 06-27-2014, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gian
    replied
    Originally posted by slodrew View Post
    crown vic police interceptors actually have better front and rear suspensions from the factory than the mustangs and they're only 62 pounds heavier than a GT500 if you swap out the 4R75E for a TR-3650.. better weight distribution than a GT500 as well.. 56%-44% compared to 57.7%-42.3% and that's before moving the battery to the trunk
    and????? What dose this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Leave a comment:

• slodrew
    replied
    crown vic police interceptors actually have better front and rear suspensions from the factory than the mustangs and they're only 62 pounds heavier than a GT500 if you swap out the 4R75E for a TR-3650.. better weight distribution than a GT500 as well.. 56%-44% compared to 57.7%-42.3% and that's before moving the battery to the trunk
    Last edited by slodrew; 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    Rosamond is great for a weekend on the Big Track at WSIR. Frankly, I wouldn't set foot in there for any other reason . . .

Leave a comment:

• Schmoe Money
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Does Rosamond, CA qualify as "some other God-forsaken place"?
    On the contrary... Rosamond is God's Land... home of the "Fastest Road in the West".

Even for Crown Vics.

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gian View Post
    you may want to put a more aggressive pad in the rear and more mild in front(if you can, temp wise). Like XP12 in the rear. But this is a guess as my info is from 2008 and Carbotech did not have as many compounds. In fact we're using Hawks at the time. Till you should have two sets of pads. One for the track and one for the street. Because on the street you can not generate enough heat to make the track pads work properly and wear quicker.

As for the ABS, it shouldn't be to bad. If it dose mess with you, you can always turn it off till you get the brakes sorted.

You do need camber plates. Maximum Motorsports are one of the best. I have K-Mac's but they are to expensive and had to get. I get most all my stuff from Wildpony. That's also who I was working with doing the testing.
    Also. OME sway bars are fine. But you could befit with the OME rear control links. If you don't want the Aftermarket ones.
    Oh and one more thing. For the top (3rd link). The Roush "Hop Control" setup works the best. '

The only problem is, even with the 3:73's you run out I gear on Big Willow (red Lin in 5th before t8 and Cali Speedway just before t1. Just something the thing about.
    Thanks!

I'll wait before changing rear gears. Currently, the car has the stock 3.55 gearing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X