Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

So I'm building an S197 Mustang GT street/track car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm building an S197 Mustang GT street/track car...

So I decided to build a street-legal track car to have fun with on road courses, drag strips, and even drive to work every now and then. The car in question is a low-mileage 2006 Mustang GT in pretty nice shape. The car already has the Ford Racing Performance Products handling package (dampers, springs, sways, shock tower brace), a Hurst shifter, and a Steeda 3rd link and panhard bar.

I just ordered the 14" Brembo front brake kit with cooling ducts. Future plans include 4.10 rear gears, camber plates, welded in roll bar, race seats, and 6-pt harnesses.

I plan on keeping the A/C, stereo, and airbags.

Also, I'd grow a mullet but due to male pattern baldness I may have to substitute some gold chains (borrowed from the Corvette guys) and buy some Whitesnake CDs. That should complete the package!

Stay tuned for updates on the build.

Photos, please.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Here is the aftermarket mod you need and all will be fine. They have a SA2015 version, too, that takes 2.2 seconds off of your lap time in the paddock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kenny-powers-55-mullet-hat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	229287
      Last edited by Olitho; 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM.
      To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
        Here is the aftermarket mod you need and all will be fine. They have a SA2015 version, too, that takes 2.2 seconds off of your lap time in the paddock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7422[/ATTACH]
        I love it!

Comment

2001 MR2-Eleven
          Experience Points: 21
          Youtube Channel.

Comment

Mike -

Your "location" says SoCal. I thought you were in Montana or some other god forsaken place. At least it has a Hurst shifter . . .
            The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
            1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

I've found with the Brembo's on the front, you need more brake in the rear. Or they don't feel as balanced. Also, look into the SLA front mod. You will love it (I know someone with a Agent 47 kit for sale).
              Oh and if you get tired of the suspension stiffness on the street. KW's V3's coil over set up work awesome on both track and street (More shock less spring). Or for less $$ you can go with the Bilstein. Still good on the track but street ride are better then the Koni's.

The Ford shocks and springs a marginal for the track.

3:73 rear gear seems to work best at all the SoCal tracks (Cali speedway you hit red line at turn one).

I've done a LOT of testing on the early s197's and that's what I found worked for us.

My personal s197 just has the Koni's single adjustable with Eibach springs (couldn't see spending 3000.00 for the KW's for a mostly street car). I feel the Eibach's are 1 to 1/2" to low for the street. But works very well on the track.

Also have the AirRaid with a SCT with a nice X pipe. 320whp with just those mods.
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                Also have the AirRaid with a SCT with a nice X pipe. 320whp with just those mods.
                that would apply only to the 3 valve I'm assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by slodrew View Post
                  that would apply only to the 3 valve I'm assuming?
                  yes, to get those HP numbers. But that set up works fairly well on all the Ford FI motors.

Comment

Love my '05 Mustang:
                    Roush TrakPak "Coilovers" (KW V1's)
                    Stock Rotors, Carbotech Pads (XP10 fronts, XP8 rears)
                    OEM v6 front sway, GT rear sway
                    Fays2 Watts Link
                    J&M Rear UCA
                    Enkei RP01 18x9.5 all around, Currently on 275/40R18 NT05's but soon to be 285/35R18 RS3's (V1)
                    Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams
                    JLT Intake
                    Kooks X-Pipe/High-Flow cats

Oh, and I daily drive this, although I strongly discourage the cams for any commute longer than 10 miles on the street, unless you're okay with refueling frequently .

See ya at the track!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140606_191907.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	229290
                    -DanBev

2005 Mustang 4.0L(->4.6L)
                    Mineral Grey

FUN!

Comment

yes, to get those HP numbers. But that set up works fairly well on all the Ford FI motors.
                      who do you recommend for writing custom tunes? or do you recommend just buying their pro tuner software? I already own one of their iTSX tuners. .

Comment

When I got the car. It had the SCT Bama tuner with on of Bama's tunes. It was twitchy and just didn't pull smooth. But the exhaust was hacked. I had Derrin @ Wildpony Motorsports do a custom tune.
                        Keep in mind this is a DD. So we kept it close to OME tune till 2k. It's smooth off the line and Then it starts making power. At the track I'm never under 2k. It works very well for me.

So, yes a custom tune will be better. But I don't know who in SLO is tuning these days. Wildpony Motorsports is in Santa Clarita. Derrin is straight foreword and tell you all your options. Then let you decide what you want. Then tell if it will work or not.

Comment

Originally posted by danbev07 View Post
                          Enkei RP01 18x9.5 all around, Currently on 275/40R18 NT05's
                          Why did you go with the NT05? Aren't they a Drag tire?
                          Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                            Mike -

Your "location" says SoCal. I thought you were in Montana or some other god forsaken place. At least it has a Hurst shifter . . .
                            Does Rosamond, CA qualify as "some other God-forsaken place"?

Comment

I've found with the Brembo's on the front, you need more brake in the rear. Or they don't feel as balanced.
                              I was wondering about that and ABS. So, with the 14" Brembos up front and stock brakes in back, how would you get the brakes to feel balanced? Currently, my planned setup is:
                              Front: 14" Brembos with Carbotech XP10 pads and brake cooling ducts
                              Rear: Stock calipers/rotors with Carbotech XP8 pads
                              Master cylinder and ABS module: OEM stock.

Do you think this will work OK?

The Ford shocks and springs a marginal for the track.
                              I drove an S197 Mustang GT with the FRPP handling package and really liked it. My car has the same setup. I realize there are better performing options but for sticking to a budget, I'm going to stick with what I have. At least initially.
                              One thing I need is more camber. Can you recommend a good camber plate?

3:73 rear gear seems to work best at all the SoCal tracks (Cali speedway you hit red line at turn one).
                              I want to do some bracket racing with this car so I'm leaning towards the 4.10 rear gear. I look at it as a speed-limiter. 130 mph is plenty fast for me!

And thanks for the excellent info!
                              Last edited by MikeColangelo; 06-24-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X