Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
    But the fast ones use wishbones (RSR).
    Just recently with the 991. All previous was still struts -even when BMW ditched struts for wishbones, Porsche still stuck with Struts. Then again there was no engine up front in a Porsche so less stress is on the strut.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
      Really? I like the C7. Anyway, Porsche has been using struts for decades... And the Camaro has struts.
      Same. It's a bargain for what you get at $52k imo and you can already find dealers doing discounts off MSRP. Been thinking of giving up the GT-R for one, but the Z06 should debut next month at the Detroit Auto Show.
      2015 GT3
      2013 GT-R (Sold)
      2009 GT-R (Sold)

Comment

38mm lower roofline
        32mm lower hood
        70mm lower rear decklid
        13mm wider
        A-pillar 30mm further rearward

Need to see it in person but from those who have, said its a much lower, wider, flatter looking car. Less bubbly. Exactly what the car needed IMO.
        THIS got me excited. The rear is too low though IMO, I've always hated that Audi A7 look. A nice rear lip will do wonders though and some fat wheels with good rubber will make this a beast on the track.

One question though, why do Americans and everyone else (except the Germans) insist on these stupid ugly gauge clusters?? So overstyled and ridiculous..

BMW is one of the only ones that knows how to make gauges look sweet. (End fanboy rant )

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw guages.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	228747

Comment

Ahem. Objection to fanboy rant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aim.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	228748
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

^^^But that is from 20 years ago ,when "they" used to make real cars
            But it was about time to get to the Miata in this thread

Comment

Anyone know when this thing is available? I need a new car in March.

Comment

It will be interesting to compare the stock, track numbers for the turbo 4 with FRS numbers.

Comment

Really? I like the C7. Anyway, Porsche has been using struts for decades... And the Camaro has struts.

I'm not too familiar with the Integral Link rear suspension layout but can't wait to drive it.

The Turbo 4 should have an awesome weight distribution and crank out a bit more power.
                  C7 is too busy to my eye. Too much surface detail. Extra chamfers and creases just for the sake of making the design more complex looking. It does not have any organic flow. I like the proportions of the C7, just not the details.
                  The C4 was too bland and generic looking. The C6 got the balance between surface detail, character and some design eloquence. That's why I bought one. C7 = transformers.

Drivetrain is badass though. Better BSFC and power per liter than my LS7, better cooling. Jelly. I would love a CTS wagon with the C7 6.2L, 8 speed auto, magnetoheterological shocks, 18" wheels and 5500lbs towing capacity.

All else being equal, a wishbone will always outperform a strut. Basic physics and fundamental mechanical principles dictate that. In practice, struts take up less space, are cheaper to build and can be built well enough to be competitive at a world class level. Plenty of great handling cars with them obviously. Put the same engineering resources and $$ behind a wishbone design and it will work better though. WRC and WTC cars do phenomenal things with struts .. because they have to.

Brice mentioned that the modular engine is too wide for wishbones. Didn't know that.

The turbo version with "Performance Package" sounds like it might be a great track day car. The performance bogie was the Boss 302 which was already a pretty good track car out of the box.
                  WWW.949RACING.COM
                  SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                  But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                    It will be interesting to compare the stock, track numbers for the turbo 4 with FRS numbers.
                    I'm intrigued too. Tire size, weight? >100hp more. Should be a formula for success.

Emilio - educate me on the LT motor of the C7. Why did they depart from the LS?

Comment

I'm intrigued too. Tire size, weight? >100hp more. Should be a formula for success.

Emilio - educate me on the LT motor of the C7. Why did they depart from the LS?
                      I'm no expert on the LT-1. DI is the major difference. Continuously variable valve timing for each bank is the other. That is really trick in a pushrod V8. Bunch of other stuff but those are the two that stand out.
                      C6 Z06 is woefully undercooled, shocker I know. C7 base model has separate exchangers for diff and trans. C6Z has some ghetto shared setup built into the main rad and it's all, well inadequate.
                      Remains to be seen but I have a feeling the C7 will be much happier on track in stock form that any of it's predecessors were.

Quick google search Gen V Small-Block V-8: Specs and Details on the C7 Engine – News – Car and Driver

Sorry for the derail. I'm looking forward to driving one of these new Mustangs on track.
                      WWW.949RACING.COM
                      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
                        Anyone know when this thing is available? I need a new car in March.
                        Probably mid-to-late next year. Won't be out by March for sure.

So when do we get to find out how much it weighs, which is the 800 pound Gorilla in the room . . .
                        The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                        1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                          I'm no expert on the LT-1. DI is the major difference. Continuously variable valve timing for each bank is the other. That is really trick in a pushrod V8. Bunch of other stuff but those are the two that stand out.
                          Just for a little correction,there is no such animal.You dont want separate cam timing for each bank,you want different one for the intake and exhaust valves.But guess what,pushrod engine has only 1 cam,so you advance or retard everything.There are some tricks to differentiate the exhaust from intake timing,but that doesnt mean much.As brilliant as LS engines are,pointing the variable valve timing as a huge technology marvel in 2013 is comparable to the Mustang switching to IRS.Variable valve timing is 20 year old technology,direct injection 10.

Comment

I think the current viper has a variable can timing in its pushrod motor...

Comment

A turbo 4 pot mustang just made the short list of potential new DD's in a few years (bumping the focus ST), especially if the weight numbers come in right.

Comment

Originally posted by bawareca View Post
                                Just for a little correction,there is no such animal.You dont want separate cam timing for each bank,you want different one for the intake and exhaust valves.But guess what,pushrod engine has only 1 cam,so you advance or retard everything.There are some tricks to differentiate the exhaust from intake timing,but that doesnt mean much.As brilliant as LS engines are,pointing the variable valve timing as a huge technology marvel in 2013 is comparable to the Mustang switching to IRS.Variable valve timing is 20 year old technology,direct injection 10.
                                I don't mean to be pedantic, but there is such an animal:

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                                X