'19 Mustang GT racecar build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '19 Mustang GT racecar build

Boy I really stepped in it this time! I just bought a 2019 Mustang GT with performance pack 1 to gut out and turn into an SCCA T2 racer that can straddle 2 classes and also race T1 as a T1-limited prep car. Why did I do that when I had a perfectly working C5Z06 that fit perfect in those 2 classes? Well I'm a glutten for punishment and I wanted a new car to race, and I wanted a new car that would not break down. SCCA racing is a lot of waiting. Running 2 classes where I just have to change ballast and restrictor is pretty darn nice especially if you are towing to who knows where for Runoffs.

I had the luxury of buying my corvette new gutting it and racing it for many effortless years of racing just adding gas and oil. In time things started failing and I would just fix them but never knew what was next. There are too many parts in there and you can't replace or get ahead of them all. Also, there is nothing more reliable than buying a "factory crate motor" and they no longer made those for C5Z06's and engine builders all promise but rarely can deliver. Can you imagine towing all the way from Cali to mid-ohio for the Runoffs and have your new engine fail! That week sucked and turned out to be a very expensive fishing trip or little trout in Mid-Ohio.

I'm not sure exactly where this thread will go but quite frankly there are more real racers here that suffer the same problems we all have as racers than any of the mustang track forums I have found. Maybe you guys can give me some good ideas as I fumble through another racecar build.

always thought you as a LS guy.....
    need to change out your avatar !!
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

That Z06 sounds like a real pain to own. I'll give you $500 for it! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
          Boy I really stepped in it this time! . . . Maybe you guys can give me some good ideas as I fumble through another racecar build.
          This will be really fun to watch.

You say "fumble". I see rumble.

Comment

Congrats on the new race car. Looking forward to seeing some videos and pictures. Any pictures of the car as it sits right now?
            SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Had a feeling you're going to pull this one off
              Congrats!
              Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Please post photos of the build!

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                  need to change out your avatar !!
                  Possible temporary . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	th0RTCX084.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	263131

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                    Congrats on the new race car. Looking forward to seeing some videos and pictures. Any pictures of the car as it sits right now?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_130355.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	263145 That's it Orange traffic cone part 2.

I bought it with 6 miles on the odometer. I put 300miles on it driving locally then took it to the track to see what it can do in stock form. This car is SLOW and deficient just about everywhere except a brilliant gearbox and motor. I have a lot of work to do. Or I suck as driver. Maybe some of both. I'm not sure I have what it takes to get this car to the laptimes I'm at in my 15 year old vette.

I'm going to try a couple of tweeks before I fully commit to the build. Maybe I need Emilio and William. They are good drivers and smarter than me.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=es--Iw5abl4

I just found this. This is exactly how the mustang drives. It is all over the place. Even the great one seems to find this car a handful. When the commentator asks how is it, Randy pauses like he is looking for nice things to say. I suspect if it is between you and me he would say, "That sucked!" Other cars have similar laptimes with way less drama.

Can this chassis be tamed to drive like a normal car?
                      Last edited by fatbillybob; 10-16-2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Intentionally deleted . . .
                        Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                          I checked out the link and it was a Smoking Tires canyon run video. . . .
                          Not for me. Nope! The video I posted goes right to the proper video when I click it??? Anyway, My car drives like the 1st video all over the place. I think the second video looks more in control but perhaps it is because of video editing. In one section you can see the shadow of the gopro on the hood and you can see the yaw back and forth in a section where a balanced car will point and shoot right up the hill. Probst is fighting the car between power and grip. Looks like there is no balance there to me. While this second video looks better I don't think it is. Maybe his last comment in your video is a hint? """The Mustang GT may be quicker from zero to 60 than a Shelby GT350, but it still can’t touch the handling characteristics of Ford’s track-focused Snake.""

The GT and 350GT chassis is the same maybe just put 350R shocks springs and bars and go racing? Is it that simple?

Comment

the video Fatbillybob linked was to the very end of Randy Pobst's video, next video in que is the One take video. that's why the confusion.

1. which track did you go to? SoW is already a bit tricky with torquey motor, you are always better running it in a taller gear...
                            2. what tire were you on?

1st mod I recommend is MORE camber up front... ~ -4.
                            Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-17-2019, 10:13 AM.
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

a friend's lap.. did a 1:50 at Sonoma - first time there. pretty decent lap time.

Mustang PP1 MODS
                              1. 305mm 3R goodyear
                              2.brakes : rotors and pads ( ferodo)
                              3.Suspension : FP shocks with BMR springs .Front BMR Sway bar, 350R rear sway bar.
                              4.Hood vents Trackspec Motorsport
                              5.Catback BORLA ATAK.

1:56 at BRP
                              Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM.
                              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                              17 GT350R
                              03 Miata Club Sport
                              96 NSX
                              06 EVO MR
                              15 Mini Cooper S
                              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X