Blew my corvette up at wsir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew my corvette up at wsir

Well phooey. Put federal 255 and 275 on a c5, added an oil cooler and crank scraper, and blew it up after 25 min.

Locked up the rears and sent me into 9 backwards. Had no idea the engine went, thought a tire fell off or something.

Only warning was a very brief flash of "check gauges" in turn 2 in the same lap. Gauges looked fine when I dutifully checked.

Notes for posterity:
    Big oil cooler behind the radiator.
    Stock rad, 50/50 coolant, a/c present
    Ambient 60*
    Coolant 220*
    Oil temp 275*
    Oil pressure 35-40 psi in 2 in lots of laps, haha
    Last edited by robburgoon; 04-11-2018, 07:58 PM.

Bummer.

C6 LS3?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

C5 ls1 with crank scraper

Comment

That sucks. Glad it didn't toss you in way where you got hurt!

Steve

Comment

That sucks !!

Broken Valve spring ? I know that’s a big issue with LS6. Not sure about LS1
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

bummer!
            That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              That sucks !!

Broken Valve spring ? I know that’s a big issue with LS6. Not sure about LS1
              Think I'd hear it go sour if it dropped a valve? This was instant death, more like I'd imagine a rod deciding to depart would feel like. Just instant lockup.

Comment

25 minutes? I'm jealous.
                2001 MR2-Eleven
                Experience Points: 21
                Youtube Channel.

Comment

Not a lot of experience with vettes but 275F oil temps on a 60F ambient day seems pretty high. Also (again, not a vette expert)but placing an oil cooler BEHIND a radiator never seems like a good idea. Oil-to-air heat exchangers are inherently inferior to oil-to-liquid coolers and you need ALL of the air temperature differential possible. The air, heated by passing through the radiator, is probably making the oil cooler pretty darn ineffective. Sorry the big ka-boom had to happen to you.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
                    Not a lot of experience with vettes but 275F oil temps on a 60F ambient day seems pretty high. Also (again, not a vette expert)but placing an oil cooler BEHIND a radiator never seems like a good idea. Oil-to-air heat exchangers are inherently inferior to oil-to-liquid coolers and you need ALL of the air temperature differential possible. The air, heated by passing through the radiator, is probably making the oil cooler pretty darn ineffective. Sorry the big ka-boom had to happen to you.
                    275 oil is low for a corvette. And yes, of course the oil cooler is going to suffer behind the rad. That's why I picked a big one. Think of the radiator as a giant screen protecting the oil cooler

Comment

Where are the LS experts ? It doesn’t sound like oil pressure in this case ? Sususnowboarss also blew up his Vette, what was the cause of that ?
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                        Think of the radiator as a giant screen protecting the oil cooler
                        But you forgot to put the screen that is protecting the engine
                        Sorry for your engine, I know how you feel

Comment

^ Back in the days I was wrenching on RX-7s we referred to a CEL as the "change engine light".
                          Sorry to hear about the engine, Rob.
                          Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Yeah, so I've read about the notoriously high vette oil temps, but on a 60F day? A smallish oil cooler in front of the radiator may be whole lot more effective than a large cooler behind the radiator. Also, what are the specs on the heat exchanger? Some of the Chinese-made coolers have notoriously high pressure drops across the cooler. Mishimoto, despite having a Japanese sounding name, does have some real CRAP coolers, for example.

Datalogging oil pressure and plotting this against a track layout can be revealing.... as this one was for us!

Click image for larger version

Name:	lowOil.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	232766

Comment

That sucks.

Without a cooler, WSIR and 50-60*F ambient temps means oil in the mid 290s, so you're not doing worse than no cooler.

I would guess "Check Gages" with no CEL means overheat or low oil pressure, but I forget if those messages in the DIC clear themselves automatically or not.
                              2003 Z06
                              Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Working...
                              X