Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

New Acura NSX Supercar to be Built in Ohio and Developed in the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Acura NSX Supercar to be Built in Ohio and Developed in the U.S.

MARYSVILLE, Ohio
    Acura today announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit that an all-new Acura NSX supercar will be manufactured in Ohio. In addition, the new sports car will be developed in the U.S., including the Ohio Center of Honda R&D Americas, Inc. (HRA).

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Takanobu Ito unveiled a concept version of the Acura NSX today in Detroit. Although Acura is keeping most of the vehicle's details under wraps, the new NSX will employ a lightweight chassis, a mid-mounted V-6 engine and Acura's innovative new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive) system. Ito said the new supercar will come to market within three years.

Along with unveiling the NSX concept, Ito announced that it will be built in Ohio. Honda plans to produce the new supercar near its current auto production operations in central Ohio at a unique, advanced manufacturing operation. The original Acura NSX was built at Honda plants in Japan from 1990 to 2005.

"Honda associates are up to the challenge of producing the new NSX for global customers with a high degree of craftsmanship," said Hidenobu Iwata, head of Honda's North American manufacturing operations and president of Honda of America Mfg., Inc. "Honda associates in Ohio have been building high-quality Honda and Acura vehicles for nearly 30 years, so this news in many ways is a culmination of their determined efforts."

A team from HRA Ohio Center will lead the continued design and development of the new vehicle. Headquartered in Torrance, Calif., Honda R&D Americas has major research and vehicle development operations in the Raymond, Ohio center, where much of the work on the NSX will take place.

"We have a rich history of creating innovative new products for our customers in the U.S. and in markets around the world," said Hiroshi Takemura, president of Honda R&D Americas, Inc. "The responsibility to develop the all-new Acura NSX demonstrates the maturity of our organization, the know-how of our associates and their ability to create an advanced and innovative supercar."

Click image for larger version

Name:	NSX_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	234560
    www.TrackHQ.com

Just saw it, hopefully its a massive breakthrough similar to what the NSX was back in the early 90's for modern times. Best of luck Honda!
    Do you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
      Just saw it, hopefully its a massive breakthrough similar to what the NSX was back in the early 90's for modern times. Best of luck Honda!
      I hope so but doubt it. It looks like an R8 and if rumor of a 3.5L ~310hp V6 (350Z performance) is true, even with an additional 100hp from electric motors, it will be a letdown. 400hp is nothing for a "supercar" and less than 100hp/liter means Honda just isnt trying. The AWD and a rumored wide front relative to rear tire width also concern me. It dosnt seem to have the same driving forces behind its creation like the original. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
        I hope so but doubt it. It looks like an R8 ...........
        It dosnt seem to have the same driving forces behind its creation like the original. What a shame.
        +1

Honda is trying to create an image of a manufacturer with a very fuel efficient,yet sporty cars.IMHO it doesnt work.Nowadays even econoboxes have in excess of 150 hp and to call something "sporty" you should have at least better than average power.Which doesnt do well for the efficiency and so on.All those rebirths of the legendary models under the logo of the fuel efficiency are not going to do well.
        Just my $.02

Comment

Sadly Honda is too little too late with this one. Nissan and Toyota make cars (GT-R and LF-A) that are way more interisting. If Honda doesn't use price controls it will be a showroom queen.
          If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
            Sadly Honda is too little too late with this one. Nissan and Toyota make cars (GT-R and LF-A) that are way more interisting. If Honda doesn't use price controls it will be a showroom queen.
            I don't think you can compare the GT-R and LF-A. The GT-R, while somewhat expensive at about $90,000, can be purchased by mere mortals. The LF-A at some $350,000 is only a Halo car and nothing else. Most people will never see one in person.

That said, the concept NSX is kind of a flop. I agree with the comments that Honda just isn't trying hard enough.

These are different times than the days when Honda developed the original NSX, and helped unleash a sustained period of at least 15 years of improving sports car from many automakers, and horsepower wars that many cars have nearly double the horsepower of the old NSX. Now, everything in the past 5 or 6 years, as I have said before, is green, hybrid, electric crap. It's remarkable the Nissan still makes the GT-R and sells it in the USA. I just wish it weighed less and was available with a manual gearbox and proper clutch pedal. Oh well . . .
            The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
            1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

The only upcoming car that sparks my interest at the Detroit Auto Show is the new Scion/Subaru little sporty car (tuner/drift/track car of the next 10+ years in the making perhaps?) and maybe the 2013 Ford Fusion since it actually looks pretty cool and they are good cars (I had a 2011 Fusion rental car I drove to the Grand Canyon last fall and it was a properly good car sans the cheap interior). As a Bimmer guy, I don't really care about the all-new 3-Series, but maybe that's just because I keep telling myself that after owning three 3-Series cars, it's finally time to move up and my next one will be an M5, 7-Series anyway. But if I did want to buy the new one, it doesn't excite me with looks, and the mandatory (albeit can be switched off each time you drive) auto-stop feature pisses me off and takes away from the "drivers car" feeling.

Cars of late have just been boring me, and even pissing me off. I forgot where I read it but 20 years ago a major magazine like Motor Trend or someone did a survey of non-enthusiasts about how they felt about their cars and if they had a connection with the machinery they owned that went beyond transportation, and I believe 40% answered yes. They repeated the test about 5 years ago, and the answer was less than 20%. If they did it now in 2012, it would be even less. F*ck that, what do guys even enjoy nowadays if cars are on the way out? Where's the American passion and spirit of driving that we've had ever since the Model-T was introduced?

Comment

auto-stop feature
                WTF is that??? Every generation of the 3-series gets bigger, heavier, and softer than the generation before it.

F*ck that, what do guys even enjoy nowadays if cars are on the way out?
                Video games, iPads, and light beer. Oy vey . . .

Where's the American passion and spirit of driving that we've had ever since the Model-T was introduced?
                The press has Americans believing that $4.00/gal. gas is Armeggedon, and that we should forsake everthing we hold dear about the automobile because of it, when in fact, we have some the cheapest gas in the western world.
                Last edited by Richard EVO; 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by pucsicsal View Post
                  The only upcoming car that sparks my interest at the Detroit Auto Show is the new Scion/Subaru little sporty car (tuner/drift/track car of the next 10+ years in the making perhaps?) and maybe the 2013 Ford Fusion since it actually looks pretty cool and they are good cars (I had a 2011 Fusion rental car I drove to the Grand Canyon last fall and it was a properly good car sans the cheap interior). As a Bimmer guy, I don't really care about the all-new 3-Series, but maybe that's just because I keep telling myself that after owning three 3-Series cars, it's finally time to move up and my next one will be an M5, 7-Series anyway. But if I did want to buy the new one, it doesn't excite me with looks, and the mandatory (albeit can be switched off each time you drive) auto-stop feature pisses me off and takes away from the "drivers car" feeling.

Cars of late have just been boring me, and even pissing me off. I forgot where I read it but 20 years ago a major magazine like Motor Trend or someone did a survey of non-enthusiasts about how they felt about their cars and if they had a connection with the machinery they owned that went beyond transportation, and I believe 40% answered yes. They repeated the test about 5 years ago, and the answer was less than 20%. If they did it now in 2012, it would be even less. F*ck that, what do guys even enjoy nowadays if cars are on the way out? Where's the American passion and spirit of driving that we've had ever since the Model-T was introduced?
                  The masses need their car to hate starting when it's cold, and break down a lot to get them to form a relationship with it.

"Please start. Baby, please start now, I promise I'll move to a warmer climate if you just..."

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                    "Please start. Baby, please start now, I promise I'll move to a warmer climate if you just..."
                    Continued:
                    "I promise no more Vince Offer Sham Wows, only lamb skin Chamois, just start please."
                    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Comment

What happens when these cars get old? Im sure those electric motors will be pricey to fix and most likely a pita to replace if they werent engineered to be replaced which most components on production cars arent. With self closing doors, electric motors everywhere and the complexity of powertrains these days, the used car market might be a big issue and huge moneypit.

Comment

Ownership of a current BMW,AUDI or Mercedes model without warranty may lead to one's bankrupcy,looks like the same is coming from the other manufacturers.With the newest cars,original or aftermarket warranty is the only reasonable way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                          What happens when these cars get old? Im sure those electric motors will be pricey to fix and most likely a pita to replace if they werent engineered to be replaced which most components on production cars arent. With self closing doors, electric motors everywhere and the complexity of powertrains these days, the used car market might be a big issue and huge moneypit.
                          We will be like Cuba. Everyone will be driving around in 50 year old cars that are simple to fix and reliable if properly maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                            The masses need their car to hate starting when it's cold, and break down a lot to get them to form a relationship with it.

^ That's a good point.

Comment

So disappointed when I read the press release on the new NSX. Was hoping for a light weight, high HP, composite bodied back to basics sports car (no crazy gadgetry like the GT-R)... o well... at least this'll keep me interested in the 458. :-)

-mike
                              twitter: updates from the track.
                              youtube: in-car videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X