X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    edited to add Emilio's video:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153550883727696

They towed the Miata from Arizona to Laguna Seca this weekend.

Cruise control at 65mph

Owner is an aeronautical engineer

We could not get our head around this. My head just can't compute.

I will never ever listen to Trackhq tow truck recommendation again

All you diesel tow truck driver lose.

That is nuts. They ran in PWC a few years back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120620-alterego-kujala-withcodriverstpetegrandprix-BODY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	230197

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
      I think Emilio had it right: She travels and races in her own dimension. Harm will never come to her because no one else exists in that dimension.
      Emilio can now add string theory to his impressive list of expertise.

Of course, this is could more simply be an apt example of the old expression that "God looks after fools, drunks, and little children" . . . and Pastor Maldonado?
      Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-05-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

On the other hand, you have to like the guy if this is him:

Zitza Family

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
          Darwin is not amused.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9396[/ATTACH]

Alas, the poor guy was seldom amused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin%27s_health
          Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-05-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

As much as I have distaste for marginal towing setups, I have to tip my hat to this rig. We saw "The Martian" last night and right away were commenting on the similarity. The lead character, when faced with of certainty of his impending doom posts a defiant blog entry for posterity "I'm gonna have to science the **** of of this". Remove all the safety margins then actually engineer something on the fly that doesn't actually meet your goals, stack up about 5 different systems all just past their limits then expertly pilot the resultant crap pile to victory. I mean, we have all done something like this, probably on a much smaller scale at some point in the past. A "that shouldn't have worked but I have no choice " kind of Ghetto Genius fix. Magnificent, sad and frightening all at once.
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
              On the other hand, you have to like the guy if this is him:

Zitza Family
              Love it...
              BID

Comment

in case you still don't believe.

courtesy of Slipangle Podcase
                Attached Files
                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                17 GT350R
                03 Miata Club Sport
                96 NSX
                06 EVO MR
                15 Mini Cooper S
                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PLg3Z6T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	230199
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

Comment

Having raced against one of those folks a few times... I am not shocked.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                      As much as I have distaste for marginal towing setups, I have to tip my hat to this rig. We saw "The Martian" last night and right away were commenting on the similarity. The lead character, when faced with of certainty of his impending doom posts a defiant blog entry for posterity "I'm gonna have to science the **** of of this". Remove all the safety margins then actually engineer something on the fly that doesn't actually meet your goals, stack up about 5 different systems all just past their limits then expertly pilot the resultant crap pile to victory. I mean, we have all done something like this, probably on a much smaller scale at some point in the past. A "that shouldn't have worked but I have no choice " kind of Ghetto Genius fix. Magnificent, sad and frightening all at once.
                      Reminds me of the late, Kirk Kerkorian:

Sensing the onset of World War II, and not wanting to join the infantry, Kerkorian learned to fly at the Happy Bottom Riding Club in the Mojave Desert . . . now Edwards Air Force Base, near Willow Springs. In exchange for flying lessons from pioneer aviatrix Pancho Barnes, he agreed to milk and look after her cattle.

Upon gaining his commercial pilot's certificate in six months, Kerkorian learned that the British Royal Air Force was ferrying Canadian-built de Havilland Mosquitos over the North Atlantic to Scotland. The Mosquito's fuel tank carried enough fuel for 1,400 miles (2,300 km), while the trip directly was 2,200 miles (3,500 km). Rather than take the safer Montreal–Labrador–Greenland–Iceland–Scot land route (although, going further north could mean the wings icing, and the plane crashing); Kerkorian preferred the direct "Iceland Wave" route, where prevailing winds blew the planes at jet-speed to Europe — but it wasn't constant, and could mean ditching - some put the odds at 1 in 4. But the fee was $1,000 per flight, and Kirk figured the odds to be more like 1 in 40. So, in two and a half years with RAF Ferry Command, Kerkorian delivered 33 planes, logged thousands of hours, traveled to four continents and flew his first four-engine plane

Then, after the war, having saved most of his wages, Kerkorian spent $5,000 on a Cessna; and paid $60,000 for Trans International Airlines, which was a small air-charter service that flew gamblers from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. He then bid on some war surplus bombers, using money on loan from the Seagram family. Gasoline, and especially airplane fuel, was in short supply at the time, so he sold the fuel from the planes' tanks, paid off his loan, and still had the airplanes. He operated the airline until 1968 when he sold it for $104 million to the Transamerica Corporation.

And that was just the beginning for a calculated risk taker that went on to become a multi billionaire.

And what was this eventual billionaire's his biggest wish? He always rued his lack of higher education and wanted to be able to "talk like an educated man". What a guy . . .
                      Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-06-2015, 08:43 PM.

Comment

update

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                        17 GT350R
                        03 Miata Club Sport
                        96 NSX
                        06 EVO MR
                        15 Mini Cooper S
                        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Do we know if they were pulled over by the police or if the police were assisting?

I think is a terrible idea but if they loaded the Jeep further back on the trailer it might not be so bad at least for a short distance. I wonder if the Prius has a brake controller? If not, I hope the trailer has surge brakes. The
                          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Are you kidding? The prius driver should go to jail for threatening the lives of all around him and he should have his license revoked for stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                            X