Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

trailer maintenance - tire pressure monitor, hubs, tire change.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Yes. Your trailer has a rating for it full capacity or fully ladden called CGVW Lets say it is 7000lbs and your tires would be E rated and list 70psi as the full inflation pressure. Same would go for a pickup truck rear wheels for example. If you run a light load then you need less air in your pickup truck rear tires or your ride is very rough. People with pickup know exactly what I'm talking about. So lets say you got loaded 5500lbs total a safe guess is 10psi per 1000lbs or 55psi. For those who run light loads and max pressures I bet you have funny wear patterns and short life on your trailer tires. Try 10psi/1000lbs and see how the tire wear is.
    you and Mr. Onlinetowingguide need to fight it out, and let me know what's the proper tire pressure.....

with my trailer, it is rarely empty (may be on my way to pick up the race car). even it is, it is relatively short trip, and there is no ride issue. as I am not sitting in it.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
      so pyrometer ?
      Using a pyrometer on trailer tires is like having a 20-page thread on what motor oil to run in your track car (oh wait, we had a thread like that . . .)
      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

What I read over the internet says nothing but the max pressure printed on the tire is recommended.Doesnt seem right to me,but what do I know...

Comment

The bulk of my source material has been from tire manufacturers.

Unless planned obsolescence is the point of their advising max pressures—and I doubt it is because many already recommend replacing trailer tires every three years regardless of tread wear—I am comfortable recommending max pressure.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
            The bulk of my source material has been from tire manufacturers.

Unless fostering planned obsolescence is the point of their advising max pressures—and I doubt it is because many already recommend replacing trailer tires every three years regardless of tread wear—I am comfortable recommending max pressure.
            The tire engineers probably just say max pressure since they know those ungrateful consumer bastards won't check their tire pressures and want the tires to have the best shot at survival.

Comment

We have met the enemy, and he is us.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone is trying the newer TPMS on their trailers. The folks on the RV forum like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Truck-Syste...T+trailer+tpms

Or these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Tire-Pressu...T+trailer+tpms

Similar product with different type of sensors. Some say the flow through sensors are better but others like the caps.

These seem to be popular as well:
                https://smile.amazon.com/EEZTire-Tir...Z+trailer+tpms
                Last edited by Red_5; 03-11-2017, 06:57 AM.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

after another hub failure and tire failure last year, I bit the bullet and bought this. it works well. even without the repeater (which I bought). it not only reads and alarm for psi (for tires), it also reads and alarm for temperature. hub temperature supposedly affect the sensor, which indicated imminent hub failure. not sure how true that is.

and Amazon review is great also.

10 senders (my RV + trailer), $450
                  https://www.amazon.com/EEZTire-Tire-...dp/B009BF9S4E/

4 senders, $270
                  https://www.amazon.com/EEZTire-Tire-.../dp/B009BE069Q
                  S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I have this:

seems to work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                      Works on your trailer tires ? Wow.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                        Works on your trailer tires ? Wow.
                        yep

Comment

I ended up buying the TST 507 kit with the caps from these guys for $220 shipped.

Motor home TPMS SYSTEMS PRESSURE TRACK TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM,TPMS, RV TIRE MONITOR, RV TPMS SYSTEM

The system worked really well on my 24' travel trailer without a repeater on our trip to Tucson and back. Each way I had a time when one of the sensors dropped the connection but it seemed to work again after restarting the receiver. I had my receive sitting in the console of my truck, would probably be better up on the dash but I need to come up with a better solution than the adhesive on the dash. I think it came with a suction cup too so that might be what I do.
                          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                          X