Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by granth View Post
    Gas vs Diesel, Diesel wins every time....
    I wish these guys called me for the party

6000lbs with 3.0L diesel

Comment

• My 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Limited is likely one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Bought it for the diesel - but absolutely love it for the engine, the 8-speed trans and the air suspension. It is a very comfortable highway cruiser and like any vehicle mileage is dependent on speeds. Keep it at 65mph or less and it will get 30mpg all day long. Pick it up to 75mph, and it still get 24-26mpg.

We have both a Featherlite open and an enclosed trailer. Neither are a challenge for the ED - but obviously better mileage with the open trailer. Towing from LA area to Thunderhill, for example with speeds at 70-75, it will often still break 20mpg.

The factory 4-wheel air suspension is amazing. As soon as you put some hitc weight on it, it gets busy with leveling itself out. Interior on the Limited is ultra-nice and better than both Ford and Chevy IMO - although I rate the exterior styling a 3rd against these worthy competitors.

We upgraded the fuel tank to 40 gallons and now enjoy 1000 mile + cruising range. I LOVE this truck!

Comment

• I need to figure out how to boost the tank size on my 2500 HD. It's only 26 gallons, just like a half ton.
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Maybe put an expansion tank in your truck bed?
          1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
          2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
          2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
          2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

• Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
            I need to figure out how to boost the tank size on my 2500 HD. It's only 26 gallons, just like a half ton.
            Titan fuel tanks makes some products that replace the oem tank with a larger tank. I considered it once but then decided the cost wasn't worth it.
            Mid-Ship Fuel Tanks - Products
            -Anthony
            1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
            2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

• Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
              Titan fuel tanks makes some products that replace the oem tank with a larger tank. I considered it once but then decided the cost wasn't worth it.
              Mid-Ship Fuel Tanks - Products
              Aaaaaaaaand, seeing $1,500 price tags, I have come to the same conclusion.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Meanwhile:

Click image for larger version

Name:	21617560_10155584636180941_6464919210901714428_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	232661

Name:	21686356_10155584636175941_1560056061065077058_n.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	232662

These popped up in my FB feed this morning from a friend. I may have a new hero.
                Last edited by Force McCocken; 09-20-2017, 06:17 AM.
                Yer pal,
                Force

Comment

• Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                  Meanwhile:

[ATTACH]11234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11235[/ATTACH]

These popped up in my FB feed this morning from a friend. I may have a new hero.
                  Seriously baller.

Comment

• Anyone have DIRECT experience with the 2017 Express/Savanna 2.8 Diesel and 8 speed transmission?

The van is old school which is great, parts are cheap for most things and very simple in terms of new trucks/vans today.

The drive-train is the same from Colorado/Canyon been out a few years now.

Looks to tow about 7,500 would enclosed trailer be pushing it too much? (aero and weight)

Comment

• My former 5.7 Hemi Durango has 7400LB of towing capacity, and it was scary to tow my enclosed trailer, especially with a car in the trailer.
                      1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
                      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
                      2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
                      2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

• What part scary braking I assume?

Comment

Anyone have DIRECT experience with the 2017 Express/Savanna 2.8 Diesel and 8 speed transmission?

Looks to tow about 7,500 would enclosed trailer be pushing it too much? (aero and weight)
                          my office have gone through 3 of Savanna. they are super reliable, because of 1980's technologies. I don't know how you plan to tow 7,500LB enclosed when the diesel's tow rating is only 6,500-6,800LB ?
                          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                          17 GT350R
                          03 Miata Club Sport
                          96 NSX
                          06 EVO MR
                          15 Mini Cooper S
                          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Truck 5700lb, trailer 1100lb. 6800Lb and she pulled like a champ.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	232757

Comment

Truck 5700lb, trailer 1100lb. 6800Lb and she pulled like a champ.
                              as usual, difficult to understand you. in the picture:

1. that's not a Savanna with 6,500-6,800LB tow rating. it is a Colorado with 7,700LB tow rating.
                              2. that's not an enclosed trailer. whoich tows completely DIFFERENT than an open trailer
                              3. that open trailer is NOT 1,100LB, not even close. My open trailer weighs 1,600LB, and isn't the most robust design.
                              4. that's 6,800LB according to you, you stated towing 7,500LB earlier.
                              5. you know it pulled like a champ ? through Grapevine or Kansas ?
                              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                              17 GT350R
                              03 Miata Club Sport
                              96 NSX
                              06 EVO MR
                              15 Mini Cooper S
                              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Anyone have DIRECT experience with the 2017 Express/Savanna 2.8 Diesel and 8 speed transmission?

The van is old school which is great, parts are cheap for most things and very simple in terms of new trucks/vans today.

The drive-train is the same from Colorado/Canyon been out a few years now.

I think if you keep the enclosed trailer on the small side you can do it. Even the 2500 van has a very high payload - >3000 lbs - so I assume it has stiff springs which will help control the trailer. The diesel only has 181 hp so it will be slow over the mountains. Is this going to be a daily driver too or just a tow vehicle? If you really want to tow an enclosed trailer with one of these vans you might be better off with 6.0 Vortec. I'm sure you'll save several thousand dollars vs the diesel version.

Something else to consider is that these vans might be getting the 3.0 L diesel next year although I'm not sure a straight 6 will fit in a van. If they do, it would be better suited for your purpose.
                                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                                X