Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
    I was thinking the same, but instead of any spring I was thinking airbags
    My brother had a Duramax diesel with airbags. Used to pull his 28' toy hauler loaded with dirt bikes quads and or 26ft cubby cabin boat. Smoothest ride I ever been in while in tow.

Comment

I installed rear airbags (kit by Airlift) in my Titan. Big improvement in geometry with a heavy tongue load so the truck steers and rides much better when towing. Best part though is when you're done towing you just air the bags down and it goes back to riding like a normal vehicle instead of bouncing around from being over-sprung for no load.
      Ryan Passey
      Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
      "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

This is exactly why I'm looking at a 2500 plus air bags and not a 3500.
        Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
          From the sound of it alone, I already know it's over my budget.
          If you get a check from the insurance company, you can troll RacingJunk.com for a decent living quarters trailer and pounce when you find one you like at the right price. You might have to drive to another state to get it, or have it delivered, but I think the living quarters trailers are better for racecars than Toy Haulers. They're available as TAG trailers or as goosenecks.

I've been looking at them, not seriously yet, but if none of my kids want to come racing with me when they're old enough to drive, I'll probably get a living quarters trailer to make track weekends more comfortable. If the kids do get into it, I'll opt for a larger enclosed trailer that will hold two cars, and I'll just add some folding bunks to the walls.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Brett,

Somebody you race with regularly may be selling their LQ trailer. PM me if you can't figure out who it is as I am not sure they would want the name out there this early in the process.

Mark
            AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
            Iron Canyon Motorsports
            http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

I think I know the trailer. It's not what I'd be after. I'd be looking for a wall and a door between the garage and the LQ.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Buy a pre-hung lightweight door like the ones they use on sunrooms, a few sticks of 1x3 and 3 sheets of DiBond later..
                Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
                  Well, the only other suggestion I have is that if you can handle the slightly larger size, consider looking for a medium duty truck like a Freightliner M2.

They might seem intimidating at first for use around town, but again, if you get the right set up, the sharp wheel cut (something like 55 degrees) and the air suspension and everything actually make it pretty doggone nice, ad they aren't as crazy expensive as you might think.

Steve
                  I can't even imagine DD'ing one of these.... LOL
                  SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                    I can't even imagine DD'ing one of these.... LOL
                    Actually, I know a couple of people that do it. When you get them in the small configuration, they aren't much different that a dually, and the wheel cut makes them much more friendly in parking lots. And the ride is SO much nicer.

Remember, you are getting one with the lightest setup possible, with say a 10 or 12 thousand pound front end and an 18,000 pound rear axle, so you are also running 90psi or so in the tires, which really makes them quite nice.

Much nicer than our trusty old 90s Ford F250 7.3 powerstroke, which could get into an oscillation on the 10 eastbound that made a pro bull rider look like a Miata driver.

That said, we still have that truck and my brother used it last summer while his Duramax waited for $6,000 in injectors and pumps. When the world ends, it's be cockroaches, old McDonald's containers, and 7.3's that survive.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
                      Much nicer than our trusty old 90s Ford F250 7.3 powerstroke, which could get into an oscillation on the 10 eastbound that made a pro bull rider look like a Miata driver.

This is totally true.
                      To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I will throw my $.02 in here. I have had a toyhauler since I started racing in 2011. I have the smallest one that would fit my car. 15' garage with front kitchen and bath. Two queen beds on a chain system over the car. The box is 22' and 5200 lbs. empty. Car is about 2000 lbs. and I tow it all with an O7 F150, rather slowly. I decided on the toyhauler as I wanted the chance of my wife coming to the track with me. Knowing these garden spots like Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Chuckwally, etc., I knew she would need to get out of the elements. With that said, I really enjoy it. Camping at the track is great, there are always people with a fire pit in the paddock and a willingness to share stories. Loading/unloading is an ordeal but worth it to me. I have not had a problem with the trailer getting a
                        car smell". We have also used it to go to local campgrounds, although why you would go away for a weekend and not go to the track is baffling. {;-)
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X