5th wheel toy hauler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th wheel toy hauler

Been a while since we touched on this, so let's revisit the subject of using a toy hauler for towing a car to the track.
    Following my eventful tow to Chucky, it seems like both my truck and my trailer are going to get totaled which puts me in the market for both.

I've always liked the idea of using a toy hauler as the trailer (gooseneck only).
    Seems like it's the best of both worlds, an enclosed trailer which keeps the car and gear out of the elements and prying eyes, a nice place to stay at the track and potential use for family activities.
    The common route of using a class C RV and a small open trailer is impractical for me since I will still need the truck for my day to day operation and have no desire to add yet another vehicle to my fleet (and the costs associated..).

I'm leaning towards something like a ~34' / ~15' garage with sleeping quarters at the front.
    Should fit a Miata fine and looking at pics such as the one below I'd estimate that the triple axle models seem to place the front axle of the car right over the middle axle of the trailer, which I'd imagine would be okay in terms of weight balance -

So, given enough garage space in the back and obviously high enough weight capacity, what are the potential issues?
    I'm aware of ramp height and angles, extension ramps and a winch should solve this.

Also, what are the limitations I'm going to run into from licensing standpoint?
    For the sake of discussion, I'm probably going to get another Ram 2500 diesel (~2013-2017) which should have no issue with this size trailer (being gooseneck of course).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Blackbird; 03-22-2018, 12:13 PM.
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

I rented one once that people put razors and atv in. The 3/4" plywood floor was beat up and my 3200lb racecar one wheel almost fell through the floor! So I don't know how these haulers are constructed but you might want to check the reinforcement around where the tires are going to park. It might be as easy as supporting the floor with a piece of angle iron welded in. .

Comment

I know a fabricator...
      It helps that my car is also 1200 Lbs. lighter.
      Moti

Comment

Check tongue weight carefully. Most 2500's don't have that much payload capacity when the truck is fully loaded with peeps and gear. The recommended 5th wheel/Gooseneck tongue weight is around 20% of the trailer weight so it is a chunk. I'd consider moving to a 3500 class truck. Almost the same money but a lot more capacity. I have a friend who uses a toy hauler with a spec miata and it is fine although his trailer is smaller and is a bumper pull. He did need some custom race ramps to make it all work. Loading / unloading is still interesting though.
        AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
        Iron Canyon Motorsports
        http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Ditto the 1T recommendation for a 28' or longer toy hauler. They tend to be a foot or two taller than regular trailers so even more Aero drag
          WWW.949RACING.COM
          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

1. it is more difficult to get a toy hauler that will fit a car in the back. 98% of them are designed for ATV, motorcycles.
            2. steep angle from the garage to asphalt.
            3. I am guessing (purely a guess) reason they don't allow car back there is weight distribution. as most of the car fits behind trailer axle, that causes weight distribution issue ?
            4. Toy hauler is super un-aero.. with tall living space about the truck bed.

If I had a choice, I would pick a 5th wheel trailer, but with a small living quarter in front (but not on top of the bed). William Brinkop has one, he can chime in...
            Last edited by bellwilliam; 03-22-2018, 02:07 PM.
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

with new 2019 RAM all the rage, I bet you can get a 2018 cheap.
              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Wilson found a toy hauler. Gotta be a front bath I think. Living space smells like car.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                  Ditto the 1T recommendation for a 28' or longer toy hauler. They tend to be a foot or two taller than regular trailers so even more Aero drag
                  It seems like the sticky point is the payload, not the aero drag.
                  There's no difference in power between the 3/4T and 1T (at least on the Dodge, haven't checked others), but there's a massive hike in payload between the two, from low/mid-2xxx to high-3xxx.
                  Moti

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                    1. it is more difficult to get a toy hauler that will fit a car in the back. 98% of them are designed for ATV, motorcycles.
                    True, most of them only have a 11'-12' garage, but I have seen them going up to 14.5'-16', so while not common, it's out there.
                    2. steep angle from the garage to asphalt.
                    Yep, definitely going to need long ramps.
                    3. I am guessing (purely a guess) reason they don't allow car back there is weight distribution. as most of the car fits behind trailer axle, that causes weight distribution issue ?
                    It helps that my cars are light, I actually checked the weight on some 4 seater side by sides and they aren't that much lighter than Creampuff!
                    This was a surprise.
                    4. Toy hauler is super un-aero.. with tall living space about the truck bed.
                    All heavy duty diesels from the big 3 have 800+ TQ, should be fine... might not be able to do 75 uphill, but I'd imagine it'll still be A-okay.
                    If I had a choice, I would pick a 5th wheel trailer, but with a small living quarter in front (but not on top of the bed). William Brinkop has one, he can chime in...
                    Yeah, definitely going to go with a gooseneck.
                    Looking at a setup similar to this as far as dimensions and layout go - https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/r...536466932.html
                    Moti

Comment

Yeah, pin weight capacity is going to be the difference in the 2500's vs 3500's. Not a huge price difference so you might as well pop for the 3500. Dual rear wheels is probably the only other conundrum - much better for towing but a PITA when doing all of your non-towing chores. As for the trailers - I think we are seeing more and more targeted for the weekend racer. On the high-end (all aluminum construction and extruded aluminum floors), ATC seems to be jumping into the fray.

Like you, I have seriously considered the MH route - I think the journey would be more fun, "honey, can you make me a sandwich" but once at the track, it would be nice to disconnect and have the truck available to run around in.

Comment

The price difference between the 2500 and the 3500 (single wheel) is next to nothing, the difference in ride quality however is VERY significant.
                        The truck is going to be my DD, I'd much rather have a 2WD 2500 if I can get away with it because it has the best ride quality compared to 4WD 2500 and all 3500 versions.

You can't pay me enough to buy a dually.
                        I'm sure it's the best for towing but DDing a dually is a solid no-no in my book.
                        Moti

Comment

I've been thinking about the same thing in the last few months.

The actual toy haulers sit about 1 ft higher than something like a Carson Racer trailer, it could be nearly impossible to unload a race car with a splitter (like an S1) even with super long ramps.

I went to Carson Trailer in Norco to price out a custom 24' Racer trailer with a living quarter (front kitchen/bathroom) and have 16' of cargo space. The beds /couches will be in the cargo area (queen size bed comes down from the ceiling and a fold up bed/couch). This is with dual axles (6K each). Not sure if this will be enough with car, water...etc.

After everything including plumbing, RV finish interior & a generator, the total comes out to be 28K. (similar spec to the one below)

https://www.racingjunk.com/Trailers-...M8.524.html#12

I would assume a 32-36' 5th wheel (with the upstairs bedroom) would cost 6K - 10K more (goose neck, one extra axle, more living space).

Been searching on racing junk for a trailer w/living quarter. The one below I really like. Seems to have all the right stuff. but it's a 42' goose neck & it's on the wrong side of the country...

https://www.racingjunk.com/Trailers-...om=category#15

I currently have a 17 2500 Cummins with only 2100LB of payload, and I don't think it'll be enough for something like that. I think upgrading to stiffer coils will increase the payload. The daily ride wouldn't be as nice, but definitely would be nicer than leaf springs.

Alan
                          Last edited by e5pr1t; 03-22-2018, 08:07 PM.
                          1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
                          2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
                          2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
                          2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

I was thinking the same, but instead of any spring I was thinking airbags, so you can adjust the stiffness for the extra load when you tow.
                            Is your truck a 4WD?
                            Moti

Comment

Yep, it's a 4WD.

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                              I was thinking the same, but instead of any spring I was thinking airbags, so you can adjust the stiffness for the extra load when you tow.
                              Is your truck a 4WD?
                              1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
                              2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
                              2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
                              2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

Working...
                              X