How to move a car that hates to roll into the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move a car that hates to roll into the garage

So I've got this dirt modified with flat tires, a welded rear end, no mirrors, a really loud idle, and isn't fun to get in and out of.

I'd like to be able to move it in and out of my garage without starting the engine. It would have to traverse some decent sized cracks and gaps in the concrete. What do you guys think? HF wheel dollies? Some sort of towing system? Quad? Forklift?

Winch.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Comment

Easy this HF winch attached to this special Wilson Engineering "Post Mount" put some air in the tires done. I know the drill well...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0827.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	228281

Comment

I also say winch. Cheap enough from HF and you can install it on your trailer just in case.

I don't have a winch in my new trailer yet, fortunately my car is light and rolls well because it got pushed into the trailer this past weekend. Thanks Anthony and stranger who helped push it from impound.
        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
          So I've got this dirt modified with flat tires, a welded rear end, no mirrors, a really loud idle, and isn't fun to get in and out of.

I'd like to be able to move it in and out of my garage without starting the engine. It would have to traverse some decent sized cracks and gaps in the concrete. What do you guys think? HF wheel dollies? Some sort of towing system? Quad? Forklift?
          Rob, you need one of these to move your dirt modified in and out of the garage. Your regular Miata hardware is not up to the task.

Name:	5373d1362669321t-tag-vs-gooseneck-trailer-tumblr_m5uol3q69r1ry1420o1_500.gif
Views:	2
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	228283
          To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Reinflate the tires then push it.

Comment

tow it out.
              Yer pal,
              Force

Comment

Yup. That's what we use. Harbor Fright #67511
                We call them Miata roller skates

Name:	image_21404.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	228286
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

What's a garage Bubba? Out here in the backwoods we just park ours on cinder blocks.

Name:	3920365677_ef2001a409.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	228287
                  99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                  99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
                    Reinflate the tires then push it.

Umm.... flink. Have you ever tried pushing and turning slightly a car with a welded rear axle? This car HATES being pushed, 2250lbs or not. It's a two person push and not an easy one.

Winches sound interesting, what do I anchor it to in the garage? Drill holes in the concrete to bolt something down?

Emilio, think those skates will get over gaps between concrete slabs? It's not just moving around on level floor.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                      Umm.... flink. Have you ever tried pushing and turning slightly a car with a welded rear axle? This car HATES being pushed, 2250lbs or not. It's a two person push and not an easy one.

Winches sound interesting, what do I anchor it to in the garage? Drill holes in the concrete to bolt something down?

Emilio, think those skates will get over gaps between concrete slabs? It's not just moving around on level floor.
                      Might be a little work for one person but yes. We have a slight incline in our lot and a tiny lip at the back door. Our cars weigh about the same I'm guessing. OK for one man push. Trick is to rock it back and forth a bit to get all the wheels pointed the right way. Until then even a bare tub is tough to move. There are deluxe dollies from Griot's, Eastwood etc with larger diameter urethane or rubber wheels that are lovely but like $900/set

Just like a skateboard, the larger the wheel diameter, the better it deals with rough surfaces. The HF dollies have tiny steel wheels so they're the worst for big pavement cracks.
                      WWW.949RACING.COM
                      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Not as cheap as Harbor Freight, but very nice

The Auto Dolly: Home Page

Steve

Comment

Hmm... could put dollies only on the rear axle. That might be a nice compromise. Or even just one of the rear tires...

Comment

If your modified doesn't have a wide 5 bolt pattern, why don you go to the junk yard and get some cheap 15' or 16" wheels and tires? (preferably tall and narrow) Then inflate them to 50 psi?
                            BTW I know your pain, I had a sprint car in the shop. I couldn't move that either without help.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve35 View Post
                              If your modified doesn't have a wide 5 bolt pattern, why don you go to the junk yard and get some cheap 15' or 16" wheels and tires? (preferably tall and narrow) Then inflate them to 50 psi?
                              BTW I know your pain, I had a sprint car in the shop. I couldn't move that either without help.

Steve
                              better yet why not just find some solid rubber donut spares?

Comment

Working...
                              X