Collapse

Hoooowling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be anti-you Richard, but I've only ever heard great things about the Giken, and I have read a few Kaaz complaints.

And i recall reading tests where the Giken beat the Kaaz by .3-.7 seconds or so? If I recall correctly. Might be the same one Red 5 is referring to.
    Do you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
      If you have to spend more money on everything to believe you are getting the best, then go for it.
      Ouch Richard, you don't have to be nasty about it. I did research before I made my purchase and it all said the the OS Giken would make the car faster and more durable than the competition. Our mutual friends had never even heard of OS Giken. I'm hoping by spending money on the right unit the first time, I don't have to have another one installed so ultimately saving money.
      Lets remember Richard that the goal is racing and tenths of seconds are huge so if I can afford a couple of hundred extra for faster times and better durability then I think it's money well spent.

Here's the Miata.net thread that contains the GRM link to the LSD comparison:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ighlight=Giken

Oh and did I mention . . .

e
      Last edited by Red_5; 05-05-2010, 08:24 PM.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

thnx for the help so far everyone! so no one has an idea of wat the noise may be? ive read the comparison test of the os giken and the kaaz both on an s2 and the os giken took the win. just much more expensive so i gotta see how much time i have to buy one. im just hoping that my stock unit isnt a ticking time bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post

e
          hularious lol totally cracked me up =p
          momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Comment

Ouch Richard, you don't have to be nasty about it.

Growing a thicker skin would help you on the internet and in racing.
            The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
            1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Growing a thicker skin would help you on the internet and in racing.
              It took you all night to come up with that?

If you've seen my car lately, it could definitely use a thicker skin.

e
              99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
              '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

It took you all night to come up with that?

If you've seen my car lately, it could definitely use a thicker skin.

e
                No, it took me all night to get drunk on that Austrian potato vodka they sell at Trader Joe's. Really good considering the price. I thought of that when I woke up this morning. Burp.

Hope you get your car together soon. By the way, our "friends" aren't my friends anymore.
                The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

a great improvement over the Torsen, which was pretty much worthless.
                  Aaaaand... you lost me.

I rather like my torsen. So you're grouping a torsen with an open rear end?

Comment

so..... rather than goin at each other, does anyone have an idea about my diff? making more noise wen its not under load? bearing or something?
                    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
                    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Comment

The Kaaz LSD is just as good as the OS Giken and costs about $500 less.
                      Ever driven a car with an OS Giken at the limit of the car's potential?

I have driven both so I have some empirical knowledge.

Sorry man, if the KAAZ were actually as good as an OSG, at half the price, don't you think there would be a land rush of race teams switching over to them? There isn't. OTOH, OS Giken can barely keep up with demand. I have to order mine months in advance to make sure I can keep up with orders. I usually stock a few AP1, MX5, and Miata diffs.
                      WWW.949RACING.COM
                      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

so just call you for pricing then?

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                          Ever driven a car with an OS Giken at the limit of the car's potential?

I have driven both so I have some empirical knowledge.

Sorry man, if the KAAZ were actually as good as an OSG, at half the price, don't you think there would be a land rush of race teams switching over to them? There isn't. OTOH, OS Giken can barely keep up with demand. I have to order mine months in advance to make sure I can keep up with orders. I usually stock a few AP1, MX5, and Miata diffs.
                          OS cant keep up with demands. I went with a Carbonetics carbon diff because it was going to be two months minimum before I could get a Giken diff....and even at that I got the last Carbonetics diff on the shelves in Japan for the lotus. ugh.
                          AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                            Aaaaand... you lost me.

I rather like my torsen. So you're grouping a torsen with an open rear end?
                            Rob- Have you driven a miata with more than 90hp with a clutch pack vs a torsen? I totally respect your opinion as you have a ton of time in these cars, but the cusco 1.5 way showed me how useless the torsen really is.
                            Turn your iphone into an action camera:
                            www.igloocase.com
                            www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post
                              Rob- Have you driven a miata with more than 90hp with a clutch pack vs a torsen? I totally respect your opinion as you have a ton of time in these cars, but the cusco 1.5 way showed me how useless the torsen really is.
                              Not saying there aren't better performing options out there, just sayin that it isn't useless. If it was truely useless, I'd have an open rear end on my SM.

The fact that they don't wear out like clutch types is pretty sweet. No service required, durable, affordable, works much better than an open rear end. Very much my style. Not much quite like OEM when it comes to reliability.
                              Last edited by robburgoon; 05-16-2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post

I always wondered what took you so long to switch.

And sorry no clue about the noise. But it's usually a sign of impending failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X