Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Downforce...how much more rear stability with wing/diffusor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny, on one run, I was following a red, turbo Evo X straightpiped, and it was shooting flames at me!
    www.facenbody.com
    2005 Elise: Ohlins DA, BWR sway bar, RAC monolites, Pagid blues, Larini SE exhaust, CF everything, BWR s/c...
    SRF #237

Comment

I felt the Roval will not benefit with additional aero on the NA Elise. If anything, it might even slow it down being low on power. With R1R street tires, the car was already capable of going flat out on the entire oval part of the course. And if getting it just right, also flat at the fast chicane on the back straight. The only place where there might be benefits with aero is the left turn leading out to oval.
      Not sure about the other tracks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
        Also if you have a non-functional wing or one with way too much angle of attack to stall it out, you're pretty much putting a parachute on the back of your car without benefiting from any added downward force (because the wing is stalling out).
        The aero-nerd in me requires pointing out that a stalled wing is still generating lift (or, for auto applications, downforce), but in a highly inefficient manner.

However, beyond that technical nerd point, it's still true that for practical values very bad.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
          The aero-nerd in me requires pointing out that a stalled wing is still generating lift (or, for auto applications, downforce), but in a highly inefficient manner.

However, beyond that technical nerd point, it's still true that for practical values very bad.

Steve
          Yes, very true. I should have better clarified my point. Although a stalled wing would still create lift/downforce (depending on application), it will be generating far more drag which in most cases would not offset its benefit.

Comment

manly, what about an s/c'd Elise? benefits on a wing?
            www.facenbody.com
            2005 Elise: Ohlins DA, BWR sway bar, RAC monolites, Pagid blues, Larini SE exhaust, CF everything, BWR s/c...
            SRF #237

Comment

Working...
            X