Hot brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot brake question

I know that coming to a complete stop with hot brakes can lead to uneven material transfer and brake vibration/shudder. So, how does a pit stop fit into this theory ?

I ask because my Miata brakes act a little strange, they shudder for the first lap or two then calm down. I am running stock 1.8NA calipers & disks with XP10/XP8 pads no ducting. I try to not stop the car completely with the brakes when back in the paddock, and then roll it a bit about 10 min later. But nothing seems to change the out come. I have a new set of sport fronts (disks/calipers/XP10) to install this week and get to test them July 4th, so I will see if anything changes.

Just curious to see what others have experienced....

Do you have a cracked rotor(s)?

You might need to inspect closely as sometimes the crack is there, but not readily visible.

As the rotor heats up and expands the thumping/shutter goes away.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a DYI or inexpensive or homebrew LPI method? LPI = liquid penetrant inspection. Applicable to this topic, I believe.
      Yer pal,
      Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
        Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a DYI or inexpensive or homebrew LPI method? LPI = liquid penetrant inspection. Applicable to this topic, I believe.
        Spot Check kits, they are about $100. We use them in aircraft maintenance for a quick check, but you have to practice with it to get good results.

Comment

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1207

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/ardrox906.pdf

Crack detector

Comment

crack detector ? are you guys on crack (see what I did there ) ?

Miata front rotor is $10.50 each, rear rotor is $6.74 each..

and you want him to buy a $59 test kit ?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1190911&partt ype=1896&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=fsc4pt5m4vg9deseqjiqef56e5

Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM.
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I was just answering a specific question, I agree too cheap to bother testing.

Back to the original question, Why don't the brakes just get ruined by holding them solid during a 15 second pit stop? They sure as hell don't give them a cool down lap.

Comment

Working...
              X