Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

AIM SOLO DL + AEM EMS + AEM Serial Gauge. Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BANKAI
    replied
    Thanks markn! I finally got my AEM ECU to communicate with the SOLO DL.
    Learn something new everyday. I will post this in case someone else has the same problem

AIM's instructions say to connect to COM1. My USB to Serial cable was using COM3. You can go into Device Manager and change the COM# to whatever is available on that port. Once I changed my USB to Serial port to use COM1, (then a restart of windows), VOILA! WORKING!!

But now I have the dilemma of trying to figure out how to get my Oil Pressure and Temperature real-time since I was using the AEM ProGauge that usually plugs into the serial port on the AEM ECU...
    I don't have CanBUS, so that is out...and although I can get my Oil Pressure & Temperature channels to display on the AIM SOLO DL, it just reads what the AEM is outputting, which is in VOLTS.

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    replied
    Thanks Mark! PM sent

Leave a comment:

• markn
    replied
    Send me a pm and let me know who you have been talking to at AiM. I'll circle back after I get in contact with them.

Mark

Originally posted by BANKAI View Post
    Can anyone help with my setup? I cannot get it to display data from my AEM EMS V1. I have been back and forth with AIM Support and still no results. I want to throw this thing against the wall.

Directions are from here: http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...9+_108_eng.pdf
    Contrary to the directions, there is no way for me to connect to "COM1" Only COM3 is available. I've set up the Telemetry and Units after connecting to COM3.
    Also worth mentioning is that I normally have an AEM Serial ProGauge hooked up which works perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10212[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10211[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10213[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10214[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10216[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10215[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10217[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    replied
    Can anyone help with my setup? I cannot get it to display data from my AEM EMS V1. I have been back and forth with AIM Support and still no results. I want to throw this thing against the wall.

Directions are from here: http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...9+_108_eng.pdf
    Contrary to the directions, there is no way for me to connect to "COM1" Only COM3 is available. I've set up the Telemetry and Units after connecting to COM3.
    Also worth mentioning is that I normally have an AEM Serial ProGauge hooked up which works perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEM_CONNECTS.png
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	232289

Name:	AEM_COM3.png
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	232288

Name:	AEM_TELEMETRY.png
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	232290

Name:	AIM_AEM_CONNECTION.jpg
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	232291

Name:	AIM_SETUP.png
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	232293

Name:	AIM_FIRMWARE.png
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	232292

Name:	AIM_SUCKS.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	232294

Leave a comment:

• markn
    replied
    CAN connections with AiM data systems and AEM V2 and Infinity ECUs work great. we have done several of these integrations. Two wires gets you a lot of data The AEM V1 ECU is pretty old so no doubt the logging options are limited and since the V1 has been end of sale for a while there is not much incentive for either AiM or AEM to improve the situation. The AEM Infinity is a phenomanal ECU and is encroaching on megasquirt level pricing with the 5 series and the soon to be released 3 series.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• anorexicpoodle
    replied
    Well mixed news there. AEM V1 is where things get iffy

http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...9+_108_eng.pdf

Yes it seems you can connect the V1 to the Solo DL but it ONLY supports serial.

Its just 2 wires, RS232 TX from ECU to RS232RX on AIM and ground. You CAN technically fork the RS232 TX wire as long as its a short run and only 2 devices listening, it'll either work or it wont.

That being said, not sure what you're looking to log. The AEM V1 serial dataset is pretty small.

This makes me kinda sad, I have a car on a AEM V1 I was contemplating putting an AIM dash in.

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    replied
    Originally posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Mine is not a AEM but a Hondata Kpro, but i expect this would be similar.

I would set this up as CANbus not Serial.

All you should need to do is wire the CAN H on the AEM to the CAN H wire on the AIM lead, the CAN L wire on the AEM to the CAN L wire on the AIM lead and ground on the AIM to ECU ground.

You may need to put an additional 120ohm resistor on the ECU side between those 2 wires, but the one in the AIM lead should be sufficient.

You will also need to configure the AIM with the correct CANBUS profile for the AEM. You might also have to contact AEM about if the ECU can publish serial and canbus at the same time.

It is like you are speaking a different language and I understand only the major points... but this is very good and giving me ideas.
    I didn't even know you could get canBUS off the AEM ECU... I have a 2002 S2000 running AEM V1, is it still possible?

If it is possible, that means I can keep the serial gauge to display while the CanBUS is logging.

Of course this is all dependent on whether this is even possible... but it is giving me hope.

I am going to attempt to connect it again tonight... so maybe I will keep it.

Leave a comment:

• anorexicpoodle
    replied
    Mine is not a AEM but a Hondata Kpro, but i expect this would be similar.

I would set this up as CANbus not Serial.

All you should need to do is wire the CAN H on the AEM to the CAN H wire on the AIM lead, the CAN L wire on the AEM to the CAN L wire on the AIM lead and ground on the AIM to ECU ground.

You may need to put an additional 120ohm resistor on the ECU side between those 2 wires, but the one in the AIM lead should be sufficient.

You will also need to configure the AIM with the correct CANBUS profile for the AEM. You might also have to contact AEM about if the ECU can publish serial and canbus at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    replied
    Originally posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    It wont convert in the display, you are meant to do the conversion after on analog inputs in race studio. You still get the data logged, but race studio will do the conversion into the sensor measurements during analysis.

If you want to convert in the display, the AIM dash products can do this I believe. Alternatively you can inquire with AIM support. Ive requested an ECU definition file on my setup to display oil pressure and temp in the AIM, which on the Kpro4 are exported as raw voltage values just like the AEM. I presume the work they are doing on mine could work for yours as well.
    Thanks anorexicpoodle for the feedback.
    I inquired about the readings from my AEM ECU to the AIM and was met with no much good news. Same as yourself, it is raw voltage so it will not do the conversion to the AIM Display.

What the ECU definition file do? Will it change my AIM SOLO DL display from displaying i.e. AD13 to OIL_T?

For now though, I have set up everything that needs to get setup but I cannot get my AIM SOLO DL to read anything. I.e. ECT, RPM, or my raw volt data from my Oil T or P.
    Is there anything you set up in your AEM PRO besides the Telemetry? My AEM Serial Gauge works so I am inclined to believe my AEM ECU is outputting the data. My AIM SOLO DL just won't display any of it.

Any help is appreciated. For the time being, this is for sale until I get it working... lol so frustrated.

Leave a comment:

• anorexicpoodle
    replied
    Originally posted by BANKAI View Post
    Damn, I should have checked back sooner.
    I sold my SOLO so I needed a timer, so I went ahead and bought the SOLO DL so I will have one for my next track day.

I guess there was some confusion with some of the questions I asked AIM because apparently there is no support of external sensors. I have AEM Oil Temp and Pressure sensors wired into the AEM ECU which display fine to the AEM ProGauge (Serial Gauge).

The AIM SOLO DL cannot convert the VOLT signals to numbers to be displayed on the AIM SOLO DL.

Anyone want to buy an AIM SOLO DL with bolt OBD II and RS232/Canbus cables? Open box, but never used.
    It wont convert in the display, you are meant to do the conversion after on analog inputs in race studio. You still get the data logged, but race studio will do the conversion into the sensor measurements during analysis.

If you want to convert in the display, the AIM dash products can do this I believe. Alternatively you can inquire with AIM support. Ive requested an ECU definition file on my setup to display oil pressure and temp in the AIM, which on the Kpro4 are exported as raw voltage values just like the AEM. I presume the work they are doing on mine could work for yours as well.

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    replied
    Damn, I should have checked back sooner.
    I sold my SOLO so I needed a timer, so I went ahead and bought the SOLO DL so I will have one for my next track day.

I guess there was some confusion with some of the questions I asked AIM because apparently there is no support of external sensors. I have AEM Oil Temp and Pressure sensors wired into the AEM ECU which display fine to the AEM ProGauge (Serial Gauge).

The AIM SOLO DL cannot convert the VOLT signals to numbers to be displayed on the AIM SOLO DL.

Anyone want to buy an AIM SOLO DL with bolt OBD II and RS232/Canbus cables? Open box, but never used.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    I know AEM has its own data system with a dash display coming out this summer. You might wait to see what that's like before you buy anything.

Leave a comment:

• anorexicpoodle
    replied
    So 99% the answer to this is yes.

I presently have my Kpro4 outputting to my SoloDL via serial, and it works perfectly.

I have been working with AIM/Hondata for MONTHS to get Canbus output working (some of the params I want are only present in Canbus output). I expect the AEM support is far better since there is simply more of it. The guys at AIM have been outstanding in support, as has Mark at Iron Canyon.

I recommend buying through Iron Canyon (also a forum sponsor). So far im pretty happy with the whole setup.

Name:	cR5bbSk.jpg
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	232256

Leave a comment:

• BANKAI
    started a topic AIM SOLO DL + AEM EMS + AEM Serial Gauge. Possible?

AIM SOLO DL + AEM EMS + AEM Serial Gauge. Possible?

I am looking to purchase an AIM Solo DL and it looks like they sell an RS232 connector version (vs. the OBDII cable connector version).

My question is, this RS232 connects to the AEM EMS, but that's where my Serial Gauge connects. Anyone know if there is a way to run my Serial Gauge AND Log data through the Solo DL?

From what I understand, the OBD II connector on my car is no longer functional since I am on AEM EMS.
Working...
X