Teen Mazda Challenge leaves NASA socal SM for Speed Ventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Mazda Challenge leaves NASA socal SM for Speed Ventures

In the past the teens ran something like 3 events a year in NASA socal. This was fun since some of the teens are seriously quick and about half of them are well adjusted and nice to be around and race with.

I noticed a couple days ago that the TMC has dropped NASA socal from their 2016 schedule and has speedventures weekends listed instead (non-SPM weekends).

There was some friction last year with some of the wilder teens crashing into things (including stationary objects that to my knowledge had never been hit by a SM before), and there was also a fast teen that the whistler detected a compression ratio too high that was allowed to return home after the TMC boss said that any NASA DQ's would be ignored for the purpose of TMC points.

Anyhoo... trying to figure out what to focus on this year.

could run norcal SM events, long tow though

could run socal NASA SM events and hope the racing picks up a bit, then run the NASA west champs at buttonwillow (buttonwillow?!?!)

could focus on dirt oval and put the miata on hold

could build a supermiata out of the SM. Could also build a supermiata out of the 99 sitting next to my house.

Hmm...
    Last edited by robburgoon; 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM.

The TMC has had a bit of a rocky road in So Cal that is for sure. The addition of the TMC series will definitely perk up the intensity and the status of the Speed Ventures events. I wonder if that means that Speed Ventures is going to run a SM / TMC run group in addition to the TMC entrants? There has not been enough TMC entrants to justify a standalone run group at an event if the past years are any indication of car counts. Congrats to the Speed Ventures crew in any case! SM car counts in So Cal NASA continue to climb (albeit slowly) while SCCA SM counts have declined or stagnated the last year or two.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by markn View Post
      The TMC has had a bit of a rocky road in So Cal that is for sure. The addition of the TMC series will definitely perk up the intensity and the status of the Speed Ventures events. I wonder if that means that Speed Ventures is going to run a SM / TMC run group in addition to the TMC entrants?
      I kinda doubt it. The teens certainly won't want other SMs screwing up their points race if they can help it. I would love to join that race but I'm not sure any non teens will be welcome.

Comment

How many teens are there ?
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
          How many teens are there ?
          12 teens in two of the socal weekends last year, something like 9 teens with perfect attendance.

Bit of a bummer.
          Last edited by robburgoon; 01-21-2016, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
            Could also build a supermiata out of the 99 sitting next to my house.

Hmm...
            Or you could sell it to me.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
              Or you could sell it to me.
              Could, but if I got really serious about a miata class, I'll need it for aero.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                Could, but if I got really serious about a miata class, I'll need it for aero.
                In SPM at least, the cars are equalized for aero with the EP dam and ducktail. No one year is dominant. Just FYI
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                  In SPM at least, the cars are equalized for aero with the EP dam and ducktail. No one year is dominant. Just FYI
                  I wonder where the aero advantage is in NB cars over NA cars in stock form. Is it the lights and less/no gaps in the hood?

Comment

I'm not an aero pro... but my guess would be a reduction in lift with the bumper changes from the headlights down and the shape of the trunk lid. Both items are negated with SPM aero (air dam and ducktail)

Comment

Do not underestimate the benefits of Burgoons golf ball aero. Those dents are strategic and retained for a reason. Rob is not the fool he appears to be.
                      AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
                      Iron Canyon Motorsports
                      http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by markn View Post
                        the fool he appears to be.
                        Gee, thanks, haha!

Comment

Working...
                        X