Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

ALMS Road Racing vs. NASCAR Road Racing . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALMS Road Racing vs. NASCAR Road Racing . . .

So my weekend kinda sucked because So. Cal. Edison decided to shut off my electricity Saturday night at 11:00 to fix some equipment problem in my neighborhood. They said the power would come on by 7:00 Sunday morning. Then they changed it to 12:00 noon Sunday. Later they said 3:00 p.m. Sunday. The power is finally back on. I feel like I live in a third-world country. End of rant, and getting to the point of this thread.

In order to find something to do with no power at my place, I went to a local sports bar. At the same time, NASCAR was running one of its rare Sprint Cup Road Course races at Watkins Glen on ESPN, while ALMS was racing at Road America on ABC/7. I sat there watching both races on TVs side by side, while eating my tacos and drinking my screwdriver.

The driving skill on road courses could not be more different between NASCAR and ALMS. We all know most of those NASCAR guys only run ovals and their cars are set up to only turn left. So they go out to race on a road course, and the team sets the car up to turn right too. But the drivers can't do it. In the last 25 laps of the race, there would be a crash. Some bozo would hit the wall and spin back onto the track. Then some other bozo hits him. A safety car comes out until they clean up the wreckage, which takes about 5 laps. Finally the green flag comes out for the re-start. Two turns later, three more cars have crashed and the safety car is out again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. These NASCAR guys are like the Keystone Cops . . .

ALMS is a whole different story. Much more interesting cars. 5 classes (probably too many, as one class only had 3 cars). High quality racecraft. Aggressive passes, but nearly all made safely. Yes, there was a little carnage, but nothing like NASCAR. It was also fascinating to watch the Nissan Delta Wing, with its front wheels so close together in its pointy nose, going head to head with more traditional sports racers, and the Delta Wing was quite competitive.

I'll stick with road racing in cars that are meant to road race . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-11-2013, 04:18 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

I wonder if the lack of NASCAR driver's apparent ability has to do with the inability to get hurt in the COT? The last injurys of NACAR drivers were 1 death and a broken leg and I think those were on dirt tracks where there was no advantage of all that protection. I think for even the super human the closeness of a painful death has to temper one's actions. I suspect that closeness is a bit closer for ALMS. In NASCAR crashes are expected as part of the spectacle. It's WWF on wheels.

Comment

It's WWF on wheels.
      +1

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

I actually thought the reverse. The ALMS had "safe passing" but that's easy when cars are vastly different in speed. The stock cars were driven by a bunch of very competitive folks in competitive machinery that didn't have the benefit of massive grip and aero.

And if it was just skill level, why did so many guys that were "real" road racers suck so badly all weekend long in the Cup race? Max Papis had absolutely top machinery and went nowhere, for example.

In my book, NASCAR is what racing used to be in the glory days... little grip, little brakes and lots of power, without the "we can't pass because of aero" baloney.

Steve

Comment

^^^ So you prefer the silly crash-up bash-up of NASCAR on road courses?

Comment

Watched both races today, much preferred the nascar. Definitely the most entertaining racing on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
              I actually thought the reverse. The ALMS had "safe passing" but that's easy when cars are vastly different in speed. The stock cars were driven by a bunch of very competitive folks in competitive machinery that didn't have the benefit of massive grip and aero.

And if it was just skill level, why did so many guys that were "real" road racers suck so badly all weekend long in the Cup race? Max Papis had absolutely top machinery and went nowhere, for example.

In my book, NASCAR is what racing used to be in the glory days... little grip, little brakes and lots of power, without the "we can't pass because of aero" baloney.

Steve
              I am not a NASCAR fan, but that is my sentiment. The drivers are working harder with vastly far less technology. It is more of a display of driving talent, patience and creativity than the ALMS cars. I LOVE ALMS, but watching NASCAR at a circuit is a treat.
              Yer pal,
              Force

Comment

Watching NASCAR at a road course is fun because the cars are not suited to it, the drivers are unskilled at turning right, and they crash a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                  Watching NASCAR at a road course is fun because the cars are not suited to it, the drivers are unskilled at turning right, and they crash a lot.
                  I think that is completely inaccurate. In the Nationwide race on Saturday if a driver like Nelson Piquet Jr. finishes in 20th place or so I suspect the allegation these guys can't drive a road course is completely inaccurate.

I have found champions in one discipline can move over to another similar discipline and still be wickedly competitive with only a little bit of practice. Motocross and dirt track racers have moved to two wheeled road racing and even car racing with good success.

Oli
                  To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

^^^ So you prefer the silly crash-up bash-up of NASCAR on road courses?
                    Today's race in particular had a few more issues than recent years, but for the most part, it was guys absolutely pushing the edge. Do they push the edge really hard because they know they can often rub a little? Sure. But it's also because they have to do so.

And let's not forget that as recently as Lime Rock, one solution to "gee, we are equal speed and I can't cleanly get by" was a serious punt by Ryan Briscoe that had everyone up in arms. So let's not paint ALMS with the "we never rub" brush quite so fast

Steve

Comment

It was a very entertaining race; even though not a NASCAR fan I’d watch more if they did a few more road courses a year. There’s a lot of talent out there; Marcos Ambrose was impressive to watch….

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
                      So true; this is why I don't really watch F1 anymore.....wish it was more like the glory days when they still had manual gearboxes and little to no driver aids.

Comment

The Cup race had a pretty strong road racing field. JPM, Ron Fellows, Boris Said, etc. I'm sure car prep and budget has something to do with it, but they are getting smoked handily by the Cup regulars.

I remember Boris Said saying that of all the types of racing he has been involved in, he thought the NASCAR guys were by far the most skilled and that oval racing at that level and speed was probably harder than road racing.

Comment

Spec series (NASCAR in practice is a spec series) always involves more contacts. Someone that's a second (which is a huge deal in pro level) is on average only 0.07 second (15 turns) slower per corner than you are (don't forget you also make same power and on same tires). What makes you think you gonna pass him ?

SM drivers will really fit in...
                          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                          17 GT350R
                          03 Miata Club Sport
                          96 NSX
                          06 EVO MR
                          15 Mini Cooper S
                          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
                            The Cup race had a pretty strong road racing field. JPM, Ron Fellows, Boris Said, etc. I'm sure car prep and budget has something to do with it, but they are getting smoked handily by the Cup regulars.

I remember Boris Said saying that of all the types of racing he has been involved in, he thought the NASCAR guys were by far the most skilled and that oval racing at that level and speed was probably harder than road racing.
                            He said it here:

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f348/e...ris-said-5041/
                            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

NASCAR = F0

don't F1 drivers advances to NASCAR when they are done with F1 ? Kimi, Montoya, Piquet Jr., Trulli, Speed, Villeneuve all went to NASCAR after their F1 career.....Kimi was the only one that weren't fast enough and had to be sent back to F1.......
                              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                              17 GT350R
                              03 Miata Club Sport
                              96 NSX
                              06 EVO MR
                              15 Mini Cooper S
                              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X