Collapse

What made you a better driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of the points here resonate with me. To repeat a few that have worked for me recently (like last weekend...)...
    Competing hard with someone and learning what sections of track I am quicker than them and what sections slower - and therefore where i need to improve.
    Driving in the rain or at least on a wet track (last weekend and the previous race weekend).
    Racing! Nothing heightens the senses like coming through a wet corner 3 cars abreast.

Comment

They saying is not "practice makes perfect". The saying goes, "perfect practice makes perfect". - Speed Secrets.
      Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
      1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
      2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
      2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
      1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
      1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
      1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
      1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
      1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
      1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
      2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Comment

That is for sure. As someone stated above, it is not just 'seat time' but using that seat time to analyse and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
          I can recognize little improvements from just about everything you mentioned above; karting, cycling, sims, autocross, data, motorcycling
          I think specific resources are best utilized dependent on the situation with the particular driver.
          examples:
          A driver that has skill but get's tired quickly needs physical exercise.
          A driver that isn't comfortable having the car out of shape and lacks car control should do some autocross.
          A driver that is brave, has good car control but is rough and makes lots of mistakes needs to something with low power like a TAG kart or Miata.

I've been trying to teach myself high performance driving for about 35 years.

The key in coaching is finding someone who is not only significantly faster and more consistent than you are, but observant enough to see what you need to improve on and articulate enough to communicate it. If that coach can interpret data, you have the most valuable resource possible.
          Every driver that is self taught wastes countless hours stuck in bad habits. It would be like going to school without teachers.
          That said, I subscribe to the theory that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to master any skill. ..
          Many great points I wish I would follow but I'm still mucking around and I love it. I could not resist the funny or the sad however one takes it. This math nerd's back of Paper napkin says:
          10000 hrs @ 4 30min sessions/day=5000trackdays, 2 days/we doing 2 w/e per month= 48 days/yr on track
          I should just about get it in 100 years! So the answer is...more trackdays needed!

Comment

(more time needed...)
            *fixed
            Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
            1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
            2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
            2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
            1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
            1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
            1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
            1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
            1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
            1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
            2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Comment

Owning/tracking S2000. Great car to learn on, and close competition with socal S2000 track guys.

More than anything though, good instruction (Jeff, Emilio, Billy....)

I can also see a big difference with regard to fitness. Never really considered this, but its a big factor.

Seat time doesn't hurt either, so long as you're getting instruction, analyzing data.

Emilio has the right idea though, he's doing what Senna pioneered in the 80's. Its a sport, like any sport you have to consider it in a holistic manner in order to constantly improve.

-cheeRS

Comment

Originally posted by Dino Antonov View Post
                I can also see a big difference with regard to fitness. Never really considered this, but its a big factor.
                Getting in better shape has made a huge difference for me especially when racing. When I started racing, I didn't have the fitness to race for the whole race. I'd be exhausted. Since I started working out and changing the way I eat, I feel much better during and especially at the end of a race.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

Biggest problem I see with w2w drivers are they can't have another driver jump into their car to gather data. Another is no passenger seat. Passenger seat helps when you watch another driver. And for passenger to give you input on driving and car setup. It helps when advice given in real time

This is a very good point.

Lately, I've been thinking about picking up a street-legal track car with two seats, for driver and instructor. I think this would work well at Speedventures events (and other trackday orgs like that). Something that I could drive hard and with more room than a Miata and not a convertible. Maybe e36 M3 or RX-8.

Comment

for me:
                    -seat time
                    -request for an instructor
                    -drive with a clear mind
                    -don't think about laptimes
                    -try and listen to your car
                    -HAVE FUN!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcaptain View Post
                      for me:
                      -seat time
                      -request for an instructor
                      -drive with a clear mind
                      -don't think about laptimes
                      -try and listen to your car
                      -HAVE FUN!!
                      I've read that book too
                      Oh,and welcome aboard

Comment

Dmv

Comment

I know this is a couple months old, but why not add a little more.

There are some awesome tips in here. The ones that were the most effective for me personally were:

Read - I started by reading Secrets of Solo Racing when I was 15. That helped prevent me from learning bad habits before I got my license. From there the Ross Bentley books, and Going Faster by Carl Lopez.

Sims - I killed two PS2's playing GT4, I have a seat and pedal set up for Forza and try to play at least a couple times a week. Most peoples gripe is that it doesn't really feel like a car. I agree with that 100%, but the benefit of the sim comes more from reaction times, expanding your vision on track, and you can play with line choice and pushing the car with no repercussions. It's almost more difficult on a sim because you're trying to do what you do in a car with half of the feedback missing and the competition is fierce.

Doing every kind of event possible - I try to go to every kind of driving event possible. Auto-X, Track days, Rally-X, Indoor electric karting, indoor gas karting, karting at tracks. I've learned something from all of them and had a lot of fun while learning.

Time on a skid pad - I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but for a driver trying to refine their car control a day on the skid pad is priceless.

Finally going to the the track and working on one thing - I'll go to a track day and try to focus on one thing that I notice I have room for improvement. Things like how I release the brakes, smooth inputs, getting on power as early as possible, not braking in areas I don't have to, or anything really. I've found that some of my biggest improvements as a driver came from this kind of practice.

I won't bother mentioning anything that's already been mentioned, but I suppose the ideal way is to take all of these tips and do them all.

Comment

Originally posted by 5:04 View Post
                            Time on a skid pad - I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but for a driver trying to refine their car control a day on the skid pad is priceless.
                            This is very valuable drill for someone that is totally new to it. The concept of changing the attitude of the car with the throttle is usually foreign. I had a good (drag racer at the time) friend ask me to give him some basic tips for road course driving.
                            I took him to a giant empty parking lot. Picked a big light post and basically did a big 200' radius arc around it, playing with the throttle to steer it. Two visits to that lot and he "had it".
                            WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I seem to remember being in a parking lot (long beach?) driving circles in a 944 with you in the right seat... like 20 years ago?

holy crap,,, how did I get this old?
                              BID

Comment

Working...
                              X