Track testing FR-S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track testing FR-S

Some FR-S test results from Buttonwillow 13CW this weekend. In each case, I did maybe 1-2 hot laps then came in. I had a total of 8-10 full laps for the entire day, 1-2 laps at at time then in for changes. I had to adapt to whatever changes we made on the out lap, go for it then back in for more adjustments or switch drivers. The car's owner, Matt Andrews, did the bulk of the driving. So most of my laps had some little errors, or traffic. I'd say each lap time posted here left 1s on the table in the same conditions. All runs 100% as delivered from dealer unless otherwise mentioned.

1. 100% bone stock + Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads, 85° 2:12.1
    2. 255/40/17 RS3 on 17x9, Subaru "crash" alignment bolts (add -.7°), 90°, 2:07.1
    3. Same as set up #2, + prototype AST 4150's, 93°, 2:03.75. This lap had three big mistakes.

Too hot and ran out of time to test much else. Lots left on the table. Sub 2:00 car on RS3's in cool weather with a few tweaks to the coilover setup. Wanted to test the Ventus TD C71's but didn't get them in time. That would have been high 1:58's I think. The FR-S is fast. It's much closer to an AP2 than an NA/NB or even NC. It may turn out to be just as fast or even faster than an AP2 for the same mods. Tough to get an AP2 really fast without a wing or geometry modifications. The FR-S will probably end up more like the NB in that it just needs coilovers, alignment and wheels to go fast.

I'll leave it up to Matt to fill in the blanks and add the cool video from the igloo cases stuck all over the car. He'll be campaigning the car in TT probably so I'll guess he won't divulge the entire setup we are coming up with

Look for full report at his blog FEcompetition | automotive exploits

Click image for larger version

Name:	FRS_testing_buttonwillow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	234713

I only had one short video of an outlap on my GoPro and shaky mount. This was setup #2 while we played with air pressures so I'm still feeling it out when the checkered flies. The rest of the videos are on Matt's cameras so those will have to wait until he gets back into town next week. Interesting note, he used his trick igloo cases for iPhone and either clamps or suctions mounts on the body.

Igloo Cases | Durable Video Case for iPhone Android
    Click image for larger version

Name:	igloowithmount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	234714
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Wow my memory was so far away it's scary.

Nice testing, great results.

Comment

nice to finally see real numbers for this car

Comment

I eat my words. Looks to be a great car. S2000 killer? =0
        Do you understand?

Comment

Basically a hardtop 2000 without vtec, brakes fixed (s2k weakness), better rear aero.

Mike said it the best: FRS is better than sum of its parts. Looking at spec: McPherson strut, not so hot HP/weight ratio, rough revving boxer engine, crappy Dyno graph (with that big dip mid rpm), one would never of guessed.
          Last edited by bellwilliam; 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
            I eat my words. Looks to be a great car. S2000 killer? =0
            S2000 killer, I don't think so. Ultimately it has worse HP/weight ratio than a s2k. FRS is easier to drive, but I would guess about a second slower than a S.
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              S2000 killer, I don't think so. Ultimately it has worse HP/weight ratio than a s2k. FRS is easier to drive, but I would guess about a second slower than a S.
              One second is basically the difference in drivers. I would say the cars are very equal if this holds up being the case.

Maybe has something to do with the fact that its not a vert
              Do you understand?

Comment

That is faster than I expected as well. Good to see some real numbers.
                Elise
                MR2 Spyder
                Mazda RX7 FD
                Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                  I'd rather have a good used S2K for $12K that this new for $26K.

And I'd wait for Subaru's turbo version (hope hope hope).
                  The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                  1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                  2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                  2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

so who else besides me wants a frs/brz wagon for a daily? low cg, rwd, 5 doors, stick.
                    not going to set lap records so i wouldn't mind a little more weight for a bigger car.

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
                      so who else besides me wants a frs/brz wagon for a daily? low cg, rwd, 5 doors, stick.
                      not going to set lap records so i wouldn't mind a little more weight for a bigger car.
                      Me. I don't think I'll be able to sell the idea of the coupe to the Mrs.
                      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

CTS-V wagon. The ultimate family vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                          Me. I don't think I'll be able to sell the idea of the coupe to the Mrs.
                          Yea me too. That rear facing baby seat is tough on car choices.
                          Elise
                          MR2 Spyder
                          Mazda RX7 FD
                          Porsche 911E

Comment

Cool cool, nice work Emilio & Matt.

Would love a turbo "STi" version of this car.
                            HP Autowerks 335i - 1st Place @ RTA Las Vegas 2010
                            HP Autowerks 335i @ Buttonwillow - 1:59.1
                            HP Autowerks 335i @ Laguna Seca
                            Buttonwillow dorifto
                            Lexus IS-F @ Chuckwalla
                            100cc TonyKart @ Adams
                            125cc TonyKart Shifter @ Apex

Comment

to quote Clarkson

POWWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Steve

Comment