Collapse

Spec Miata that revs to 7,400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Reminds me of the days when, instead of publishing a bhp number for their cars, Rolls Royce just said "Power: Adequate."
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Smokey Yunick was a NASCAR crew chief in the 50s and early 60s with a shop in Daytona Beach called the "Best Damn Garage in Town." He was quietly responsible for a number of innovations that advanced combustion technology, chief among them, angle-plug small-block Chevy heads.

Remember Doc Hudson in the movie "Cars"? Smokey was the crew chief on that team.

One famous Smokey rule skirting: Electric fans weren't permitted in NASCAR, so he put a fan on the engine that incoming air would spin, which would turn the water pump and circulate coolant. No belt was necessary, so it freed up a few horsepower, which was enough to put his car up front. There wasn't a rule against it till he invented it.

I'm no NASCAR fan, but having grown up an hour from his shop, all of my buddies and I considered him a legend. A friend of mine called his shop and actually got him on the phone and they talked engines for an hour or so. I got to meet him when he donated his "Smoketron" machine to my alma mater UCF, which currently offers a master's degree program in race engine optimization. A Smoketron is essentially a giant electric motor and engine rig that can spin a Cup Car engine and measure parasitic loads of different equipment used (valve springs, rings, bearing clearances, etc.) Like a Spintron for a whole engine.

A self-taught genius, he could be a real bastard when he wanted to be. He could admit it, so I guess I can too, but I thought it was a privilege to meet him, and I always admired what he did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smokey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	226291
      Attached Files
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
      X