Collapse

TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a fun event and would love to see some of us weekend warriors get in the mix...but...have to agree that to represent TrackHQ properly, need to put up the best drivers from the site.

A trackhq challenge run in the same car would have been fun though....

Comment

• Evos with OEM suspension are typically very easy to drive because they essentially behave like FWD cars. Evos with modified suspensions and diffs are a different story. Furthermore, setting up a car for time attack is different than setting up a car for a +35min race. But that also depends on how youre having it setup. You can setup an Evo to be extremely snappy and uncomfortable if you want. Basically, if you want, you can set it up to be as catastrophic in nature as you please.

As for the Evo X, ive never had the opportunity to drive one, but have sat in 2 on track. They are different to me. The Evo X, based on my limited experience, will make a hero out of just about anyone.

You guys are getting awfully picky. Difficulty is that a lot of you guys say that you guys have experience with various types of cars. So its not like you guys can ask for a car that the majority have not driven. Why dont you guys ask them to supply a car that is very difficult to drive. And then you guys can have someone purposely set it up poorly so that it is even more difficult to drive. Make the car unpredictable, and super snappy. I would think that twitchy cars are easier to drive, but when a car is unpredictably snappy, thats a different story.
      Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
      Robispec
      Girodisc
      SCM
      APR

Comment

• Originally posted by Bueller View Post
        Evos with OEM suspension are typically very easy to drive because they essentially behave like FWD cars. Evos with modified suspensions and diffs are a different story. Furthermore, setting up a car for time attack is different than setting up a car for a +35min race. But that also depends on how youre having it setup. You can setup an Evo to be extremely snappy and uncomfortable if you want. Basically, if you want, you can set it up to be as catastrophic in nature as you please.

As for the Evo X, ive never had the opportunity to drive one, but have sat in 2 on track. They are different to me. The Evo X, based on my limited experience, will make a hero out of just about anyone.

You guys are getting awfully picky. Difficulty is that a lot of you guys say that you guys have experience with various types of cars. So its not like you guys can ask for a car that the majority have not driven. Why dont you guys ask them to supply a car that is very difficult to drive. And then you guys can have someone purposely set it up poorly so that it is even more difficult to drive. Make the car unpredictable, and super snappy. I would think that twitchy cars are easier to drive, but when a car is unpredictably snappy, thats a different story.
        Maybe the editor of the magazine should just go out and buy a couple old cheapo cars...now that would be fun

But really, I think that if they have a couple of decent performance cars as I believe was the plan, it should even out the playing field. To me the idea of being a good driver is the ability to hop in any car, and with very little track time, be running quick laps.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnathan68 View Post
          Maybe the editor of the magazine should just go out and buy a couple old cheapo cars...now that would be fun

But really, I think that if they have a couple of decent performance cars as I believe was the plan, it should even out the playing field. To me the idea of being a good driver is the ability to hop in any car, and with very little track time, be running quick laps.
          Issue is that most of the guys here have experience with various types of cars. And its been noted that one of the cars thats being submitted is an Evo X. Who knows what cars will be used, if this even happens, but thats whats been noted thus far. Everyone knows that the Evo is easy to drive (due to its FWD type characteristics). Even more so if you set it up so that it is easy to drive. Im saying that it sounds to me that some of the guys are worried that the Evo will close that gap between someone who has experience with a Miata, S2K, Vette, Lotus, 350Z...vs someone who doesnt. And the guys with less experience may only be a bit slower than the more experienced guys. If thats the case, purposely setup the Evo so that it is unpredictable and extremely snappy.

RRE
          Robispec
          Girodisc
          SCM
          APR

Comment

Issue is that most of the guys here have experience with various types of cars. And its been noted that one of the cars thats being submitted is an Evo X. Who knows what cars will be used, if this even happens, but thats whats been noted thus far. Everyone knows that the Evo is easy to drive (due to its FWD type characteristics). Even more so if you set it up so that it is easy to drive. Im saying that it sounds to me that some of the guys are worried that the Evo will close that gap between someone who has experience with a Miata, S2K, Vette, Lotus, 350Z...vs someone who doesnt. And the guys with less experience may only be a bit slower than the more experienced guys. If thats the case, purposely setup the Evo so that it is unpredictable and extremely snappy.
            I'm just joking around since I haven't tracked FWD, let alone AWD. If it gets scary you hit the gas harder? I think my right foot might refuse the order!

I'd be happy to beat their lap time in a mail truck, schoolbus, Koenigseggisseggggnignigsegigisegggg or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              I'm just joking around since I haven't tracked FWD, let alone AWD. If it gets scary you hit the gas harder? I think my right foot might refuse the order!

I'd be happy to beat their lap time in a mail truck, schoolbus, Koenigseggisseggggnignigsegigisegggg or whatever.
              For AWD or FWD cars, that have been setup so that it drives relatively easy, just counter and keep your foot in it. But there is a balance you need to find. If its setup to be twitchy you can still pretty much do the same thing no matter if its AWD or FWD. But if youre driving an AWD car that is snappy, you are pretty much toast. If you guys really want it to be challenging, i think you guys should have it purposely setup so that it is not only unpredictable, but also extremely snappy.

RRE
              Robispec
              Girodisc
              SCM
              APR

Comment

For AWD or FWD cars, that have been setup so that it drives relatively easy, just counter and keep your foot in it. But there is a balance you need to find. If its setup to be twitchy you can still pretty much do the same thing no matter if its AWD or FWD. But if youre driving an AWD car that is snappy, you are pretty much toast. If you guys really want it to be challenging, i think you guys should have it purposely setup so that it is not only unpredictable, but also extremely snappy.
                Not sure if I want to make a big top heavy car "snappy" "sky-dirt-sky-dirt-sky-dirt oh man this is gonna hurt!"

Comment

• Can't wait to see this go down
                  Hella Functional

Comment

• I'm in.

Evo X may not be as easy as it seems to drive QUICK on a factory suspension. Fast yes. But quick is different, especially with a single make competition.

A few notes from first hand experience here, having competed and/or instructed with STI and EVO (among other cars): Yes they are capable. But pushy 3,500lb cars masquerading as race cars are not precision instruments. These cars do not punish bad habits with offs and spins as harshly as others. The setup+electronics help keep the car on the track. But poor driving will be punished with poor lap times, just the same as any other car. The pros will still acclimate faster than the enthusiasts. In a single make/class the driver differences will be apparent. A spread of multiple seconds on lap times will not be surprising.

Either way, sounds like a hell of a good way to speed a day.

Comment

• The cars are picked and brought to the event by the Magazine. It might be an Evo X and a C6 Z06, and it might be something else. We don't control that.

What we do control is which members here drive in the Challenge. I think we need to put up our best drivers who are legitimate trackHQ members and not ringers. That includes Billy, Charles, Matt, Ryan, Oli, Emilio and Jeff, among others. I don't mean to leave anyone out (except Rob, of course ).
                      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                        and it might be something else.
                        I hope it's this tastefully modified, corvette inspired, racing car vehicle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                          I don't mean to leave anyone out (except Rob, of course ).
                          Bestest faux uncle EVAR!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanB View Post

"If the bumper fits you must...." Oh, wait a minute that quote is synonomous with another travesty.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Olitho View Post
                              "If the bumper fits you must...." Oh, wait a minute that quote is synonomous with another travesty.

I think justice was served... late but served.
                              If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post
                                I kind of think it would be cool to see trackhq rep'd by guys that dont make pretty regular media appearances. Having drivers at have reputations already outside of track hq win this thing would be kind of anti climatic. But to have guys like Clint, rob, William, sonny, and AJ represent the group would be a more compelling outcome IMO. They are all fast. (not intentionally leaving anyone off my list of fast guys here - these are just examples of guys i know and think of off the top of my head ) I mean, if the top 'prize' is being a test driver for them, why not send people that would actually appreciate the honor?

Just a thought...
                                I like this idea too.
                                Driving to the limit is my goal.
                                Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
                                2013 NASA TTD National Champion
                                NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
                                Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X