TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leisure Suit Louie View Post
    +2 On the fence right now and considering sitting it out. 1 out lap to try to learn the car and 2 hot laps isn't giving me warm fuzzies.
    I still wanna do it despite the odds stacked against THQ. But to top it all off, they write the article and will spin it any way they want regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
      I still wanna do it despite the odds stacked against THQ. But to top it all off, they write the article and will spin it any way they want regardless.
      That's my take as well. If one or more of us beats their pros, I suspect they'll issue some caveat or disclaimer. Not exactly a well known online magazine though. It's not like MotoIQ, Edmunds or something that 100K people might see.

Still, if we get waxed, it would kinda suck to to have the article make it sound like we weren't up to the challenge.
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
        That's my take as well. If one or more of us beats their pros, I suspect they'll issue some caveat or disclaimer. Not exactly a well known online magazine though. It's not like MotoIQ, Edmunds or something that 100K people might see.

Still, if we get waxed, it would kinda suck to to have the article make it sound like we weren't up to the challenge.
        :

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
        Not exactly a well known online magazine though. It's not like MotoIQ, Edmunds or something that 100K people might see.
        Does it matter then anyway?

Go have some fun

Comment

• To my understanding, the magazine pros also won't know what car they are driving until the event. it will be the same with us. I think the magazine is trying to make this as fair as possible, other than most of us here have no track time at Chucwalla before. I think the only trackHQ member that has seat time there is Emilio and Sonny. And again, the track fee is pay to the track not to the magazine. Yes, it would suck if you get eliminated after the first round. but maybe the track owner will let us run the track in our own cars while nothing is in session since we already paid for the $75 insurance.
          I agree there is a good chance we will not win, but lets not jump into conclusion how the article will be written yet. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it won't be bias. I'm sure they know the odds are against us. That just might increase the possibility of Part 2 at BW#13, which is a home track to all trackHQer's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
            Go have some fun
            Pretty much sums it up.
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• way I look at it. at least if I get beat, I got an excuse
              but if I got beat in a car I am familiar while at BW or WSIR, I just plain suck

better I don't find out, just go on think I am the best there is (except for Astraist of course)
              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• I heard a very wise comment from Dave Coleman once at an Ultimate Street Car Competition.

"Competitions held by media aren't supposed to be fair - they're supposed to be entertaining"

From then on, I only did these sorts of things if they were fun. Otherwise they weren't/aren't worth while.

My bigger point from my last post wasn't that the people who enter are paying for the track - its that they are basically paying for the production cost of the article. As long as the 5 or 10 laps are worth it, then its fine.
                Turn your iphone into an action camera:
                www.igloocase.com
                www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Comment

• ^^ Got ya.

BTW, there is a 20% rain on Monday at Chuckwalla.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlk_f1 View Post
                    ^^ Got ya.

BTW, there is a 20% rain on Monday at Chuckwalla.
                    too bad its not higher, rain would separate the men from the boys

Comment

• Good luck, you guys! I'll be pullin' for ya!
                      2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post
                        From then on, I only did these sorts of things if they were fun. Otherwise they weren't/aren't worth while.
                        Bingo.

Holy crap I hope it rains, even though it would cancel my camping plans.

Comment

• BTW, I've been studying Emilio's and my video from our visit in April and I have some tips to the downhill blind corner before the bowl. I just realized it last night and could help us fly through the descent into the bowl.

Originally posted by GreyFocus View Post
                          too bad its not higher, rain would separate the men from the boys
                          :doing rain dance:
                          Driving to the limit is my goal.
                          Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
                          2013 NASA TTD National Champion
                          NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
                          Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

• ^can you link said video?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreyFocus View Post
                              ^can you link said video?
                              Starting at 1:27, you enter the downhill corner I'm talking about. Off in the distance, you see a mountain with two peaks (you can see it better from Emilio's camera view since he has better contrast).

If you point your car's head straight into the gap between the peaks during the initial turn in for the right, immediate look down for the left apex during the downhill. Pointing the car straight at the gap between the peaks will set you up perfectly for the downhill left. You can also see that 3:37 and 5:43.

[YOUTUBE]R8hDaLg37J4[/YOUTUBE]

Here are the other videos I know of from me and Emilio.

[YOUTUBE]YF1Njvwc3Uw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]kScAon4uQwA[/YOUTUBE]
                              Driving to the limit is my goal.
                              Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
                              2013 NASA TTD National Champion
                              NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
                              Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

• Sonny.

Thx for the video. First time I look at the track. Designer really likes double apexes !!

Anyone knows curbing here. Do u take them or leave them alone or does it depends on the corner ?
                                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                                13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                                17 GT350R
                                03 Miata Club Sport
                                96 NSX
                                06 EVO MR
                                15 Mini Cooper S
                                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                                X