X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfevo
    replied
    New issue of the magazine is online here: Auto Eclectic Magazine

Look for a TrackHQ.com VS AE Magazine Pros preview online soon.

Leave a comment:

• jnathan68
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Don't know. I sent Micky an email to ask him. Will post his reply when I get it.

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    ^^^ Don't know. I sent Micky an email to ask him. Will post his reply when I get it.

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jnathan68
    replied
    Does anyone know if there will be a open track day on the day of the event? I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere.

Would love to come see the Track HQ guys beat up on the pros and get to drive Chuckawalla raceway.

Leave a comment:

• GreyFocus
    replied
    since i cant get the 16-17th off for the star track day to practice, im going to go the sept 25-26 weekend instead for seat time. I have to work during the day sat so ill just be running sunday, but head out there sat afterwork and spend the night. Anyone else down to run? or wanna pitch in to drive one of my cars? My miata is not the best handling nore fastest around, but it has roll protection and is reliable. I wanna bring my focus as well to get used to the track in a car with power as well.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLevin
    replied
    I would actually expect it to be more like a traditional magazine; their insurance completely covers the vehicles. Often, there's a significant deductible that the magazine self-insures for (to keep the premiums reasonable), but fundamentally, they are insuring the entire risk.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• robburgoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sti-man View Post
    I would think the big time mags would have press cars, and if they're private cars maybe the owners have to sign waivers in exchange for the press they'll receive.. I'm really looking forward to you guys kicking butt out there.
    Yeah, hopefully it will be at least similar to typical rental deals: driver responsible for collisions, owner responsible for mechanical unless the driver does the 3rd to 2nd upshift.

Leave a comment:

• Sti-man
    replied
    I think we ought to have a discussion with the magazine guys about liability too. Emilio seems to assume that if any one of the drivers crashes a car, he pays for the damage. In a big time magazine like Road & Track, for example, if someone crashes their car, I don't think the driver pays for it. He might not be welcome back in the future, that's all. Journalists have crashed cars in R&T tests, I don't think they paid.
    I would think the big time mags would have press cars, and if they're private cars maybe the owners have to sign waivers in exchange for the press they'll receive.. I'm really looking forward to you guys kicking butt out there.

Leave a comment:

• GreyFocus
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I'll absolutely chip in for some seat time. Let me know when you want to go!
    im going to see if my work schedule will allow me to run the weekend before the battle, head out sat afternoon, stay the night, run sunday, stay night then run monday. but if it doesnt, ill do the same plan the sept weekend

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    I think we ought to have a discussion with the magazine guys about liability too. Emilio seems to assume that if any one of the drivers crashes a car, he pays for the damage. In a big time magazine like Road & Track, for example, if someone crashes their car, I don't think the driver pays for it. He might not be welcome back in the future, that's all. Journalists have crashed cars in R&T tests, I don't think they paid.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    ^^^ I agree Miata favors trackHQ drivers. At least two of the "pros" own Z06.

And if we offer up a Miata as one of the cars, how can they say no? "Oh no, we can't use one you YOUR cars. Not enough hp"?

A more standard Miata would be better than a Super Miata.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-05-2010, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    OK, so now we know who's driving. I believe the event is on a Monday, Oct. 18 at Chuckwalla. So far we haven't heard for sure what cars will be driven. Micky's C6 Z06 is very likely. An Evo has been discussed. I think we should push for more than 2 cars. There should be either a Miata or an S2K.

What kind of tires will be used? Street, R-Comp, or DOT-slick? These details need to be nailed down.

Emilio - would you consider offering one of your Miatas for the event?
    If the SuperMiata is dialed enough by then, I'd be willing to supply if the mag covers race gas and brake pads. Tire sponsor will cover rubber and I know a guy that can supply wheels :P. It should be capable of 1:55's there assuming it's in the mid-upper 90's.

Using Mickey's Z06 clearly gives him and advantage since he's probably the only one willing to toss it into the desert. What's to keep one of the drivers, "Pro" or TrackHQ, from getting a little too fired up and bending a car and who's responsible? Personally, I won't drive any harder that I can write a check for but I'm not sure that's universal here.

OTOH, using the SuperMiata gives the TrackHQ guys the advantage since some of our best cut their teeth in Miatas and have built their driving style on momentum. Put a long time Evo driver in a SuperMiata and he'll lilely struggle. At least I hope so

It would also be nice to know if there are going to be any rules, scoring etc. I'd like to see .1 sec added to the drivers best time for every 4 off and maybe .1 sec for 3 or more 2 offs. .1 sec penalty for each spin on track. get any .4 or more total penalties, you get black flagged and sit the rest of out out. Otherwise the guys that runs last are likely to get a car that has had it's alignment knocked out enough to slow the car's potential. That may even be a bit generous as a pro team doing a driver test would be less lenient and might radio you in after the first sign you were going to be hard on equipment.

As Charles and Billy would no doubt remind us, there is more to it than just being fast, it's the drivers job to get the best result possible for the event and team without destroying the equipment. In this case, the team involves over a dozen drivers so one driver beating up the equipment would be considered not doing their job.

Best total time for all cars, as opposed to points for "placing". So if one guy does well in say the Miata, but can't drive the Z06 to save his life, he gets time not just last place points for the Z06.

So maybe I'm making too big a deal about the equipment but that's my perspective as a car builder and parts manufacturer. Gotta first finish, blah, blah.

Leave a comment:

• J. Tyler
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyFocus View Post
    ill go for one of the weekends for sure to get some seat time, with which ever on of my cars is ready, if ANYONE on the list wants to help out with some costs, you can drive my my car as well when role with me. even though i know either one of my cars is most likely not like the car's we'll drive, seat time is seat time
    I'll absolutely chip in for some seat time. Let me know when you want to go!

Leave a comment:

• GreyFocus
    replied
    ill go for one of the weekends for sure to get some seat time, with which ever on of my cars is ready, if ANYONE on the list wants to help out with some costs, you can drive my my car as well when role with me. even though i know either one of my cars is most likely not like the car's we'll drive, seat time is seat time

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    But the "pros" are supplying the cars and know what they will be. They also have an opportunity to practice in the cars. One of the cars will be Micky's C6 Z06, which is HIS CAR and in which he has many many laps on Chuckwalla. Micky can let the "pros" practice in the Challenge cars to their hearts content at Chuckwalla.

The trackHQ drivers need to get out to Chuckwalla on Sept. 25 & 26, and Oct. 16 & 27, and drive each others' cars. Can someone bring a C6 Z06?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X