Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by desertosprey View Post
    The event is held at the earliest September 24th, yes? So, for all the THQ hopefuls, have a showdown!

    Every contender pitches in $xx on a rental car (opt for the insurance), and the group ensures the car is set up the same for each driver (same tire pressure, windows in the rear up, spare tire in car, full tank of gas, etc.). Draw straws to see who goes first (cool of morning) and such, and bang! Fastest times determine your winner. Hold the qualifying round at the 9/17 XtremeSpeed event or similar, and there you go.

    BTW, the rental should be rear drive and please... someone bring brake pads for the thing!!

    Man, even if you don't do that for the magazine challenge, we should do a rental car challenge anyway.
    Don't like that plan. I'm racing in Utah then. Who is the poor bastard that puts the car on his card?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by desertosprey View Post
      The event is held at the earliest September 24th, yes? So, for all the THQ hopefuls, have a showdown!

      Every contender pitches in $xx on a rental car (opt for the insurance), and the group ensures the car is set up the same for each driver (same tire pressure, windows in the rear up, spare tire in car, full tank of gas, etc.). Draw straws to see who goes first (cool of morning) and such, and bang! Fastest times determine your winner. Hold the qualifying round at the 9/17 XtremeSpeed event or similar, and there you go.

      BTW, the rental should be rear drive and please... someone bring brake pads for the thing!!

      Man, even if you don't do that for the magazine challenge, we should do a rental car challenge anyway.
      Where did this thread come from? Anyway, this will be fun. But you guys need to rent an Evo otherwise i will be the slowest guy out there.
      Team Rambling Warrior Poet


      RRE
      Robispec
      Girodisc
      SCM
      APR

      Comment


      • #18
        my prediction is Trackhq'ers will own those "pro"
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
          Don't like that plan. I'm racing in Utah then. Who is the poor bastard that puts the car on his card?
          I like that idea as long as its not on my card.
          Team Rambling Warrior Poet


          RRE
          Robispec
          Girodisc
          SCM
          APR

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
            my prediction is Trackhq'ers will own those "pro"
            I just hope we pack the list with enough great versatile drivers to ensure that happens, even if a few have a bad session.

            If I was building the dream team, here's what I would do:

            Since we have two resident trackHQ pros, I'd suggest we give Billy and Charles priority spots if they want them and can make it. Manly absolutely should be on the list for sure as well.

            Emilio drives lots of cars very well so he should get a spot.

            Also would be good to drop in a seriously quick non-Charles S2K challenge driver. I'd probably ask S2K Ed for a recommendation.

            What is that, five?

            It would be interesting to toss in someone from Corvette Challenge and Miata Challenge, but Gordon and Andrew don't post here much and I am not sure if there is anyone really fast in CC.

            Bueller might be a fun pick since he races an evo, but hard to tell how fast he really is since he races against dissimilar cars.

            Would also be fun to get either Ryan or Oli since they only race against other T1 cars these days.

            Hmm. As for filling the last 5 of my spots, I guess a challenge for trackHQ regulars with a V6 rental mustang or a rented car from another trackHQ guy would be best. (just not scheduled during nasa championships ) Maybe after driving the live axle mustang we can all go tell Billy that he's crazy
            Last edited by robburgoon; 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              i just hope i make the cut, i feel i can do well in different drive trains

              Comment


              • #22
                awesome, its on!!! I really need to think hard about how to select the drivers now.

                On top of my head:

                1) rent the 949 racing miata and have a shoot out. top 10 -12 drivers get the spot. But some of us dont have experience in miatas, maybe handicap system?

                2) forget about shoot out.
                Each trackhq member can nominate up to 3 drivers. each member can only receive up to 10 nomination. You can not nominate yourself. the top 10-12 nominees get the spot. ??

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  I just hope we pack the list with enough great versatile drivers to ensure that happens, even if a few have a bad session.

                  If I was building the dream team, here's what I would do:

                  Since we have two resident trackHQ pros, I'd suggest we give Billy and Charles priority spots if they want them and can make it. Manly absolutely should be on the list for sure as well.

                  Emilio drives lots of cars very well so he should get a spot.

                  Also would be good to drop in a seriously quick non-Charles S2K challenge driver. I'd probably ask S2K Ed for a recommendation.

                  What is that, five?

                  It would be interesting to toss in someone from Corvette Challenge and Miata Challenge, but Gordon and Andrew don't post here much and I am not sure if there is anyone really fast in CC.

                  Bueller might be a fun pick since he races an evo, but hard to tell how fast he really is since he races against dissimilar cars.

                  Would also be fun to get either Ryan or Oli since they only race against other T1 cars these days.

                  Hmm. As for filling the last 5 of my spots, I guess a challenge for trackHQ regulars with a V6 rental mustang or a rented car from another trackHQ guy would be best. (just not scheduled during nasa championships ) Maybe after driving the live axle mustang we can all go tell Billy that he's crazy

                  i like this too. it can be a mix of all these too

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    well if there is going to be a on track "try out" lets decide asap so it can fit a good amount of people's schedules

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by GreyFocus View Post
                      well if there is going to be a on track "try out" lets decide asap so it can fit a good amount of people's schedules
                      Also, if we are going to do try outs, it might be better to do it in a fast/heavy/scary car rather than Emilio's rental.

                      Besides, E's car doesn't have ABS. We'll end up with square tires.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Let's do this!!!
                        Driving to the limit is my goal.
                        Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
                        2013 NASA TTD National Champion
                        NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
                        Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.


                        Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

                        "Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ryan View Post
                          what's the prize? cookie?

                          signed,
                          street tracked an evo and a z06... and higher on the top 10 lists than all those shmoes.
                          Then why don't you sign up to drive for trackHQ. If you do it, I will pay your $75 entry fee.
                          The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

                          2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                          1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            OK, I like the first half of burgoon's suggestion.

                            Lets reserve the first 3 spots for Charles Ng, Billy Johnson, and Emilio. All of them have lots of experience in multiple platforms which is very important in this shootout. And i will get a spot since its my site. thank you

                            So for the remaining 8 spots, I will ask for your help to nominate them instead of the shoot out. Its a lot easier this way and everyone in our community can participant. I will make a new thread by tonite with the rules for the nomination. Stay tune. Thanks

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by mlk_f1 View Post
                              OK, I like the first half of burgoon's suggestion.

                              Lets reserve the first 3 spots for Charles Ng, Billy Johnson, and Emilio. All of them have experience in multiple platforms which is very important in this shootout. And i will get a spot since its my site. thank you

                              So for the remaining 8 spots, I will ask for your help to nominate them instead of the shoot out. Its a lot easier this way and everyone in our community can participant. I will make a new thread by tonite with the rules for the nomination. Stay tune. Thanks
                              Do we have 10 spots or 12? surf never made that clear.

                              Also, surf still needs to tell us what happens if a car gets written off. (unlikely, but good to understand in advance).

                              So Manly, will it be a secret ballot? Public? I think secret would probably be better. Should there be a minimum post count to be eligible to vote? To be voted for?

                              We should also get a list of interested drivers up so people can go down the list to make their picks.

                              If you want in, please quote the driver list and add your name and a brief (dammit Charles!) resume.

                              Here it is (with Charles, Manly, Emilio removed). Billy, if you want in, say so!

                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------

                              I WANT TO BE ON THE BALLOT

                              1) Alex Peng - 07 Honda S2000

                              2) Rob Burgoon -
                              95 Spec Miata
                              ---2009 Cal Club Rookie of the Year
                              ---2009 Cal Club SM 2nd place in points (would have been the champ if I showed up to the last event)
                              ---2009 Cal Club ITA 2nd place in points
                              ---2009 NASA PTE 3rd place in points
                              06 Corvette
                              ---4 brake failures and cracked rotors in one weekend at laguna... and didn't wreck

                              3) Sonny Watanasirisuk - 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
                              --- Miata Challenge 2009 season Unlimited Class runner-up (2nd place)
                              --- Unofficial record holder for fastest street-driven Miata ever at Buttonwillow Raceway C13 (and 6th ever Miata driver to break the 2:00 lap time barrier)
                              --- Battled head-to-head with Ken Block (Aug. 8th, 2010)
                              --- Important personal best lap times in Mazdaspeed Miata:

                              * Buttonwillow C13 - 1:59.337 (street-driven Miata record)
                              * SoW CW - 1:23.270 (street-driven Miata record)
                              * Chuckwalla CW (only one visit ever back in May) - 2:03.3

                              4) Clint Boisdeau - 05 Ford Focus-2008 Focus challenge champ, 2009 RTA West street FWD champ

                              driving experience in FF, FR, and AWD layouts

                              5) Matt Dennison - 06 Mitsubishi Evolution 9

                              6) Jeff Tyler - Any car you want - Stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night
                              Last edited by robburgoon; 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Man, this event sounds awesome!

                                I would love to try out and drive for TrackHQ but I'm afraid to say all my track experience is in an Evo. Hopefully I can make it out to the challenge and cheer everyone on.

                                It's funny how all this got started because of richard talking some smack. Lol
                                Erik Islas
                                ROBISPEC http://robispec.com/
                                Quality used miata parts http://www.2ndchanceroadster.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X