TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    now that we are getting off topic, "pro" is almost as inappropriately used of a term as "race" on car forums.

HPDE and time attack aren't a "race". And "pro's" that don't pay their bills and live off of an income made from racing or testing cars are not professionals. Not taking away from talented people here or those who have worked with magazine staffs. Just kind of a pet peeve of mine - kind of like saying "good" when you should use "well", or leaving dangling participles at the end of sentances...

/rant
    Whatever....I won a $100 at the last S2K race. That makes me a good pro doesn't it.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Comment

• Originally posted by VagaXt View Post
      "Sentences..." :P

But yeah, I agree with you on the "race" and "pro" definitions.
      haha. spelling however, is not a pet peeve of mine... :P
      Turn your iphone into an action camera:
      www.igloocase.com
      www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Comment

now that we are getting off topic, "pro" is almost as inappropriately used of a term as "race" on car forums.

HPDE and time attack aren't a "race". And "pro's" that don't pay their bills and live off of an income made from racing or testing cars are not professionals. Not taking away from talented people here or those who have worked with magazine staffs. Just kind of a pet peeve of mine
        +1. I couldn't have said it better. I wonder if the Magazine's "pros" are really pros under that definition? Billy Johnson is a pro. I don't actually know if Charles Ng is. (Is that a dangling participle?)

I think Micky Grana is one of the Magazine pros. But he makes his living running Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, as far as I know. I don't think he makes a living as a race car driver.
        The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
        1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

• By definition all of the Magazine Pros either get paid to drive for the magazine or paid to drive. Therefor making them Pros.

Comment

• Who cares!!! This will be a lot of fun either way. And it'll get the word out about TrackHQ.com.
            HP Autowerks 335i - 1st Place @ RTA Las Vegas 2010
            HP Autowerks 335i @ Buttonwillow - 1:59.1
            HP Autowerks 335i @ Laguna Seca
            Buttonwillow dorifto
            Lexus IS-F @ Chuckwalla
            100cc TonyKart @ Adams
            125cc TonyKart Shifter @ Apex

Comment

• Troy Castaneda is listed on the Auto Eclectic website as one of their "pro" drivers.

Troy Castaneda - News

Just sayin'.
              2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Comment

• Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                Troy Castaneda is listed on the Auto Eclectic website as one of their "pro" drivers.
                Seriously, who is Troy Castaneda? Is this him?

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Olitho View Post
                  Seriously, who is Troy Castaneda? Is this him?

Troy Castaneda - News

and Besides being paid by auto eclectic, I don't think he fits the given definition here for a "Pro".
                  --Chris Ronson Jr--
                  www.ronsonracing.com

T1 Corvette roller for sale

Comment

• Originally posted by J. Tyler View Post
                    Who cares!!! This will be a lot of fun either way. And it'll get the word out about TrackHQ.com.
                    Agreed
                    Facebook.com/BonanniMotorsports

Comment

• Originally posted by SIK02SS View Post
                      Troy Castaneda - News

and Besides being paid by auto eclectic, I don't think he fits the given definition here for a "Pro".
                      I agree. He does not make a living racing cars. He also looks about 14 on that website. I think Oli found a picture of his great-grandmother.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                        I agree. He does not make a living racing cars. He also looks about 14 on that website. I think Oli found a picture of his great-grandmother.
                        I think Micky Grana who runs the track has the automatic advantage though...dare I say it: an unfair advantage
                        --Chris Ronson Jr--
                        www.ronsonracing.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SIK02SS View Post
                          I think Micky Grana who runs the track has the automatic advantage though...dare I say it: an unfair advantage
                          That's just trackHQ's tough luck. If we want to have Billy represent us, they should be able to have Micky represent the Magazine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfevo View Post
                            By definition all of the Magazine Pros either get paid to drive for the magazine or paid to drive. Therefor making them Pros.
                            I guess we have different views on the definition of "pro". honestly, I never looked at the list of drivers for your site - so I wasn't and am not speaking of the drivers for your mag specifically. If you have a day job, or mommy and daddy have deep pockets which allow you to focus on racing and build out a pretty website, you aren't a pro. I don't care how many times someone has given you a check that doesn't cover the expense of racing and your daily life bills.

Like I said - it doesn't mean you aren't fast as there are LOTS of talented drivers that haven't gotten the lucky break to make a living doing it.

(trying to find the exit to this rat hole...)
                            www.igloocase.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                              That's just trackHQ's tough luck. If we want to have Billy represent us, they should be able to have Micky represent the Magazine.
                              difference is, I will be quite suprised if Billy will fly back from North Carolina for this, while Micky is probably pretty near by the track. I wouldn't call it an unfair advantage, but if we are using his car at his track, he will be set up with just about every advantage you could hope for...

but who cares? This should just be for fun. A magazine needs entertaining articles, if they are faster or slower doesn't really change their credibility with readers IMO.
                              Last edited by Matt Andrews; 08-27-2010, 02:00 PM.
                              www.igloocase.com

Comment

difference is, I will be quite suprised if Billy will fly back from North Carolina for this, while Micky is probably pretty near by the track. I wouldn't call it an unfair advantage, but if we are using his car at his track, he will be set up with just about every advantage you could hope for...

but who cares? This should just be for fun. A magazine needs entertaining articles, if they are faster or slower doesn't really change their credibility with readers IMO.
                                I was joking about the unfair advantage really. It wouldn't stop me from competing at the best of my ability if I were somehow chosen for it. I've competed against "Pro's" a few times over the last few years and have done pretty well against them thus far. Given a day of testing (which it looks like there is), I don't think I'll have any problem learning the track to run it well when given my 4 laps
                                --Chris Ronson Jr--
                                www.ronsonracing.com

Comment

Working...
                                X