SFI flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFI flywheels

Being super lazy, trackside, I just want to sit in my chair and wait for my turn to race. I'm willing to add gas and oil and check my lugnuts but that is about it. It is time for me to change my clutch again and I got to thinking about SFI flywheels. In case you don't know SFI has a spec to which manufacturers get product certified for certain specs for safety. Look on youtube and search "flywheels blowing up" that's why you want an SFI flywheel. It is much less likely that you will suffer a flywheel coming apart if it is SFI rated for the horsepower/torque your engine is putting out. While most flywheel break ups are in drag racing here is a link to a road racer like us who's flywheel took out his car. He was lucky it just ruined his race. The damage a grenading flywheel can be extensive to the car and it can be fatal to a driver. So think about SFI flywheels the next time you need a new clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5nfJdUDrKw

Click image for larger version

Name:	post-1121-1182424091.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	237881
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cuda-xmsn-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	237882

There was a V8 Miata at HyperFest this year in the burnout contest, and it caught fire. I think it was from the clutch/flywheel failing.

Drag racers install protective blankets over their bell housings to guard the driver's feet and legs against exploding clutches.

Failure at 1:20

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Good god, did the driver get out of the Miata? Was that him at the end? I can't believe people were cheering unless they saw the driver get out.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

I changed mine to SFI when I had my car apart last year. Peace of mind.
        Yer pal,
        Force

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
          Good god, did the driver get out of the Miata? Was that him at the end? I can't believe people were cheering unless they saw the driver get out.
          Yes, he got out and was uninjured. He was really lucky. That was a brutally spectacular mechanical failure and it could have been way worse.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
          X