Corner Balancing and gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Balancing and gas

How much gas should I put in my tank for a corner balance?

I mainly do time attack and my best times are in the morning 2 sessions unless it is a cool day. But throughout a track day, I will use a full tank of gas and then some... so is it better for the rear to get lighter and get more rake as my car loses weight throughout the day?

This is probably more important for enduro races, but I wanted to hear the theory behind gas and weight distribution throughout a race. Thanks!
    How can I do?

A lot of variables in this question- not the least of which is how the car's performance changes with various fuel loads. However, if you are running through full tanks, I suppose there is some logic to corner balance it with 1/2 a tank and that way you'll never be that far off. Make sure you place enough ballast in the driver's seat to represent your weight when doing the balance.

Comment

Fuel burn probably won't mess with corner weights all that much in miatas and corvettes. It mainly changes front/rear weight distribution since fuel tanks are roughly centered left to right.

Passenger cars with exhaust on one side and fuel tank on the other will have corner weight changes.

Comment

I agree with Rob. I don't know what you drive, but for Corvettes and Miatas the fuel tank in in the center and does not affect the overall weight balance too much. I am not sure about Miatas, but Corvettes have two "saddleback fuel tanks, one each behind the bulkhead behind the two seats. It has a load balancing tube between the tanks to run them both down at the same time.

With all that said, I corner balance my car for a mid-race level fuel load as a compromise. For your application and/or a best effort qualifying/time attack I would corner balance with only enough fuel to do my three laps and come back in.
        To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

You corner balance what your race or TA at. When you TA, do you TA with just 1 gallon ? If so, that's what you corner balance at.

If w2w, if you race with 1/2 tank to start (so you won't run out of fuel by race end). Depending on your class: most classes race is fought in first 2 laps (then corner balance with 1/2 tank).

But in reality, unless you corner balance for each track. (you wouldn't set up your corner balance the same for ACS and WSIR. Not even close.) Fuel load wouldn't really matter in any car let alone in Miata / Vette where it matters even less.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
            I agree with Rob. I don't know what you drive, but for Corvettes and Miatas the fuel tank in in the center and does not affect the overall weight balance too much. I am not sure about Miatas, but Corvettes have two "saddleback fuel tanks, one each behind the bulkhead behind the two seats. It has a load balancing tube between the tanks to run them both down at the same time.

With all that said, I corner balance my car for a mid-race level fuel load as a compromise. For your application and/or a best effort qualifying/time attack I would corner balance with only enough fuel to do my three laps and come back in.
            Two tubes I think! Both big if I remember right.

Comment

[QUOTE=bellwilliam;150053. (you wouldn't set up your corner balance the same for ACS and WSIR. Not even close.) [/QUOTE]

How do you change corner weights for ACS vs. WSIR?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                I have seen him use a wrench. ;-)
                To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post

Oli are you sure about the load balancing tube between the two tanks? On th C6 that tube is at the top of the tank and only balances between the tanks when near full. As I understand it the passenger side tank empties first and then the driver side tank. I never understood the logic of this I would think it would be better for both tanks to empty at the same rate or to have the drivers side empty first.

Charley
                  Last edited by CharleyH; 07-01-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

On the E36 the tank is centered under the rear seat with the return fuel line connected to both sides. You cant go wrong with 1/2 tank for balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                      ACS require more wedge (say 52% RF/LR). WSIR is opposite.

My point is unless you wedge to a specific track. Fuel load matters very little in most cars
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

My point is unless you wedge to a specific track. Fuel load matters very little in most cars
                        Usually when you screw with wedge, you're trying to make the car looser in one direction and tighter in the other. Be de-wedging for WSIR, you are loosening lefts and tightening rights. Which corners is that adjustment for? Usually I'm tight in 4 and loose in 5.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyH View Post
                          Oil are you sure about the load balancing tube between the two tanks? On th C6 that tube is at the top of the tank and only balances between the tanks when near full. As I understand it the passenger side tank empties first and then the driver side tank. I never understood the logic of this I would think it would be better for both tanks to empty at the same rate or to have the drivers side empty first.

Charley
                          Oops, yeah I think you're right. Two small lines in a big protector?

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyH View Post
                            As I understand it the passenger side tank empties first and then the driver side tank. I never understood the logic of this I would think it would be better for both tanks to empty at the same rate or to have the drivers side empty first.

Charley
                            This is how I've always understood it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                              ars
                              How much time does that buy you at either track?

Comment

Working...
                              X