Is it me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me?

Is it me of does every BMW after the E46 just suck! The work I have to do to replace a simple valve cover gasket is just amazing, and the parts you can break along the way and the need for other extra ancillary gaskets and to screw with the variable valve timing motor just to change a valve cover gasket? What planet are these geniuses from? It is so hard for me to want to buy a new BMW...incestuous electronics, piped-in fake engine noise, and ridiculous service access...I am always surprised at BMW's ability to take a simple job and turn it into a PHD research project. OK rant off...thanks for listening.

It's not just you. Even my E46 has me scratching my head sometimes, "What were they thinking when they designed that?"
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Zee car is engineering perfection, why would you ever need to take it apart?

It's equally irritating that every socket/wrench size in the range must be used, plus a few torx and triple squares.

16mm sockets are an abomination. The meticulous engineers could have easily selected a 17 on these occasions. Nope. You're going to need a different socket for every fastener. And if you think you found the one part on the car that uses all the same fastener, there's probably one fastener remaining hidden from view (likely pressed up against the drive train that requires a $400 tool and the hands of a child).

They are beautiful cars though. Good luck!

Comment

You guys are so unhappy because you have never touched Mercedes. Once you spend some time working on a Merc, BMW becomes an open book
        In all seriousness the simplicity logical build of the older BMWs is long gone. Also the engines are much more complex now, tucked in the firewall and this doesnt help either.

Comment

Oh yeah I loved the 4 cat converters on my mercedes. I dont buy those anymore.

So sad as I look for a new racecar to build it is back to vettes or mustang as the only makers with intelligent design sort of.
          Last edited by fatbillybob; 04-22-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

You aren't alone. I had an e30, e46 at the same time. Night and day, but it was expected. I could fix the e30 with a bag of hammers and a screw driver.

For the e46, and modern BMWs, I like to look at the exploded view diagrams on RealOEM first so I don't get surprised. I keep it bookmarked on my phone and tablet for quick reference.

I have an acquaintance who is a BNW tech, he descibed the procedures for a lot of the turbo cars, which entails dropping the engine and front subframe on a pin table. So many people are having issues with the turbo cars, I decided I will never own one. All this makes me appreciate how easy my '92 Miata is to repair, in comparison.

I do know of a more sinister marque...Jaguars. Another friend I race with is a Jag mechanic. His repair stories and replacement parts prices are frightening!
            Yer pal,
            Force

Comment

Here is where I started many years ago ('80 520):

Now if I need to stop minor oil drip from the turbo oil supply hose on the diesel I have to drop the engine/tranny and remove the whole exhaust tract:

The one above has only 2 sequential turbochargers, so to prove a point they made one with 3 turbos. What could possibly go wrong :

Comment

This is why I would never own a modern BMW (post-e46) post-warranty.

Comment

for those of you not my FB buddies...

I bought an Ultimate Driving Machine - Carmax warranty 08 80k miles E90 M3 4 months ago from a private party. I only bought it because of 2 years of Carmax warranty left on it.

few month before I bought it:

replaced transmission (manual) - $8k
                  valve cover gasket, 1 Xenon headlight and some misc stuff - $1.5k

after I bought it 4 month ago:
                  bank 1 throttle actuator (bank 2 was replaced in 2015), starter, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket (again) - $5,300
                  motor mounts, AC refill, drive shaft - $2,800

total bill in 1 year is ~$18k.
                  to be fair, this is BMW dealer billing Carmax.

as for the infamous rod bearing, it was changed out in 2015......probably won't due till 2019.
                  dealer also said I am due for a new rear subframe soon.....
                  Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM.
                  S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

William,

Wow! That is 1/2 the value or the car. Note to self...carmax baby! What an awesome warranty. Is it a special extended one?

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                      for those of you not my FB buddies...

I bought an Ultimate Driving Machine - Carmax warranty 08 80k miles E90 M3 4 months ago from a private party. I only bought it because of 2 years of Carmax warranty left on it.

few month before I bought it:

replaced transmission (manual) - $8k
                      valve cover gasket, 1 Xenon headlight and some misc stuff - $1.5k

after I bought it 4 month ago:
                      bank 1 throttle actuator (bank 2 was replaced in 2015), starter, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gasket (again) - $5,300
                      motor mounts, AC refill, drive shaft - $3,100

total bill in 1 year is ~$18k.
                      to be fair, this is BMW dealer billing Carmax.

as for the infamous rod bearing, it was changed out in 2015......probably won't due till 2019.
                      dealer also said I am due for a new rear subframe soon.....
                      Are subframes now considered to be wear items?
                      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                        Are subframes now considered to be wear items?

Yes. That is BMW charm. I only go back to the E30 until now and BMW is still using very thin metal where the sub assembly mates to the chassis. This sheet metal area always rips.
                        BMW knows this because on the very few factory BMW racecars (except the M235I racecar) BMW fortifies this area just like all the cage builders in the know do. For non-racers there are weld in plates to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                          Yes. That is BMW charm. I only go back to the E30 until now and BMW is still using very thin metal where the sub assembly mates to the chassis. This sheet metal area always rips.
                          BMW knows this because on the very few factory BMW racecars (except the M235I racecar) BMW fortifies this area just like all the cage builders in the know do. For non-racers there are weld in plates to fix this.
                          I guess it's a good thing that other than the Cayman GT-4, I've lost my excitement for new German cars.
                          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                            William,

Wow! That is 1/2 the value or the car. Note to self...carmax baby! What an awesome warranty. Is it a special extended one?
                            nothing special. you just have to buy the warranty. do note, Carmax warranty for a low end 3 series cost almost as much as high end one. 911 warranty is relatively cheap, whereas Audi A5 is $$$$. You just have to ask the sales rep to check each car. example below is cheap is probably due to the low mileage.

I posted this a week back on FB:

I was at Carmax the other day. Saw a 26k miles 08 M5 for $35k. Add 100k miles 5 years warranty for $4k. I was very tempted, fortunately it was getting transferred out. Or I probably would of got it. V10 8300rpm low mileage M5 for 5 years no headache !!

this is screen shot of the M5 Carmax extended warranty.
                            Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-24-2017, 02:41 PM.
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

few things about Carmax warranty:

it lets you take your car to your dealer (BMW in my case).
                              it is "bumper to bumper". There are few things not covered, mostly so called "maintenance" items. I am not sure what the definition is, but so far no issue. I hope I don't one day find them not covering say blown engine because of busted radiator hose (maintenance item). I don't know.
                              when I was searching for an used tow vehicle, I found many CPO warranty sucks. It is only 1-2 years "bumper to bumper", rest is powertrain only.
                              Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Mazda CPO is 1 year bumper to bumper
                              Subaru CPO is ZERO year bumper to bumper, just powertrain

dealers LOVES you when they hear "Carmax warranty". They have 2 types of customers (not under warranty)

1. no warranty - customer will ***** at those $40 wiper blades, thinking you are always out to rip them off. goes over each line item.
                              2. Carmax warranty - customer high fives when a technician tells them car need a new engine.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM.
                              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                              17 GT350R
                              03 Miata Club Sport
                              96 NSX
                              06 EVO MR
                              15 Mini Cooper S
                              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X