Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Safety Attire recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Safety Attire recommendations

    I'm looking for some safety attire for hot SoCal track days... any recommendations? Brands? Not sure what to even look for...

    Not looking to spend tons of money here, just something to improve safety for my track days (Time trials). I already have a HANS and my roll bar/6pt will be replacing my 4pt schroth soon.

    Found this on Amazon: RaceQuip Single Layer suit

    Same goes for gloves and shoes... any recommendations are welcome.
    How can I do?

  • #2
    Cool suit. Cool driver makes less mistakes

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
      Cool suit. Cool driver makes less mistakes
      I am only doing 20min sessions... I feel like I will get bashed for having a cool suit. haha

      Unless I am misunderstanding you... this is what I think when you say cool suit, Driver Cool Suit Systems
      How can I do?

      Comment


      • #4
        I am one of the few who races without a Cool Suit. Most have it and I probably just don't know what I am missing.

        With that said, I have purchased lower-end brand suits like Race-quip and expensive top of the line Sparcos. The expensive ones are generally lighter and thinner materials. They are a bit cooler in very warm weather, but releasing heat does get more difficult when covered from head to toe in a thermal blanket of sorts.

        I typically do track days, testing in my cheaper suits. That way if I need to get out and do some quick work on the car I don't feel so bad if I get it a bit dirty in the process. I save the nice suit for when I expect to podium and be in pictures. I also wear one of my cheapest thick matted suits when it is really cold in the morning.

        As far as the protective qualities of suits in fires I have not seen any comparative tests. But they must all pass the SFI or FIA tests and I am not sure how they conduct their tests.

        Your question is a good one for further discussion.
        To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

        Comment


        • #5
          It can be 60 outside and 100 in the car. I will wear not only a cool suit but coolclava. I got tubes hanging all off my body. I was going nowhere at my race two weeks ago at homestead. I came in on lap 20 of a 22 lap race because my coolsuit stopped working. Multiple people asked what was wrong with my car. It was fine I was getting too hot. Let people laugh. I do this sport for my comfort and entertainment.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Racequip suit you linked seems like a decent deal and as long as the SFI labels are genuine, you should be OK. There's a thread on TrackHQ about counterfeit labels. However, it is a single layer suit, which isn't putting your best foot forward because you should really wear a layer of Nomex underwear beneath the suit. That's probably another $200.

            So, you might consider two layer suits for $299 or thereabouts. I have a suit that doesn't require me to wear long underwear, but I wore the long johns once and now I wear them every time I go out because the suit slides over my knees better. When I went out bare-legged, the suit tended to cling to sweaty knees, so I think wearing long johns is better for good footwork.

            You can usually find gloves and shoes at discounted prices when they're on closeout. I found a set of Alpinestars gloves online for like $100 that lasted me three years. Likewise, I found a set of Lico shoes (Sparco's budget line) for $39 a couple of years ago an I still have them.
            www.TrackHQ.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Olitho View Post
              I typically do track days, testing in my cheaper suits. That way if I need to get out and do some quick work on the car I don't feel so bad if I get it a bit dirty in the process. I save the nice suit for when I expect to podium and be in pictures. I also wear one of my cheapest thick matted suits when it is really cold in the morning.
              That's pretty smart right there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                You can usually find gloves and shoes at discounted prices when they're on closeout. I found a set of Alpinestars gloves online for like $100 that lasted me three years. Likewise, I found a set of Lico shoes (Sparco's budget line) for $39 a couple of years ago an I still have them.
                This is the smartest advice on this thread. I do this often.
                To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BANKAI View Post
                  I am only doing 20min sessions... I feel like I will get bashed for having a cool suit. haha

                  Unless I am misunderstanding you... this is what I think when you say cool suit, Driver Cool Suit Systems
                  Haters gonna hate. I wear a suit for HPDEs, and I am thinking of adding a cool shirt. I have a nice mid-range Alpinestars suit and sitting on the grid, waiting to go out, the car gets very,very hot inside. I'm talking Africa hot, because I'm doing these in higher-humidity environments of the Southeast. My suit is light-colored and I would suggest the same for sun reflection. If you wear black, it sure hides the dirt, but that dirt/grease can also degrade the effectiveness of the fire protection. I was on a budget looking at suits, but what Oli says is accurate. High-priced suits will be lighter and have extra features that makes them more comfortable, like elastic gussets near the bendy-places (shoulders, waist, etc). It makes movement less restricted and fluid. I altered my budget a little when I started trying on different suits. My rationale was that if I was going to be comfortable wearing the suit, it shouldn't be a hindrance, a distraction, and I would probably want to upgrade sooner than later. So, I ponied up a little more, got the sizing figured out and bought one at the best price I could find. I'm very happy with it, it's peace of mind and although I still suck at driving I look like serious business in the paddock.
                  Last edited by Force McCocken; 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM.
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I really like the alpinestars horico nomex fabric that meets SFI spec in a honeycomb single layer. It was great except I just could not get decent sizing. On was too small and then next one was giant.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                      The Racequip suit you linked seems like a decent deal and as long as the SFI labels are genuine, you should be OK. There's a thread on TrackHQ about counterfeit labels. However, it is a single layer suit, which isn't putting your best foot forward because you should really wear a layer of Nomex underwear beneath the suit. That's probably another $200.

                      So, you might consider two layer suits for $299 or thereabouts. I have a suit that doesn't require me to wear long underwear, but I wore the long johns once and now I wear them every time I go out because the suit slides over my knees better. When I went out bare-legged, the suit tended to cling to sweaty knees, so I think wearing long johns is better for good footwork.

                      You can usually find gloves and shoes at discounted prices when they're on closeout. I found a set of Alpinestars gloves online for like $100 that lasted me three years. Likewise, I found a set of Lico shoes (Sparco's budget line) for $39 a couple of years ago an I still have them.
                      Didn't even think about the nomex underwear! Time to up the budget. Thank you!
                      How can I do?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't have the full underwear yet, but I do have the balaclava and socks. I have a track go-bag I store my gear in and I keep an extra set of clothes in. I wear cotton on track days; t-shirt, shorts, etc. I will round out the rest of the gear this year perhaps. I have an Alpinstars GP Race suit. The Sparcos were also nice, a little more of a formal cut around the shoulders and neck. I didn't find any OMP suits locally at the time I was looking, but now that I have seen them, they too are a really nicely made piece of gear.
                        Yer pal,
                        Force

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X