Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wagnerov
    replied
    Timing software isn't the issue at all, a transponder # is a transponder # to it regardless of the software's developer.

The decoder box attached is where the fun part is for AMB. This is for little cars: https://www.mylaps.com/en/products/r...er-upgrade/233

I am speaking out of my ass, though. I am assuming AMB has a similar system for big cars (transponder -> loop -> decoder box -> timing software). I haven't worked timing and scoring since the days before transponders.

Maybe the new AMB subscription-transponders simply don't transmit anything if their firmware isn't activated and no new hardware is required to be attached to the timing loop. Judging by what AMB did to the R/C car world with the new decoder box though, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to us big car racers sometime in the future.

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
    AMB is becoming the Martin Shkreli of the lap timing world.
    You, Sir, have won the Internet!

Leave a comment:

• fe4
    replied
    For Speed Ventures I understand that anything AMB-like with a serial number is probably going to work.

But for NASA or SCCA, don't they use AMB's web portal for timing? So I would need a valid AMB transponder? Or is that not so true. I have not been involved in any events like that so I am really not sure.

Leave a comment:

• 48yota
    replied
    Originally posted by wagnerov View Post
    In the R/C car world, where AMB started decades ago, they just have tracks upgrade the timing loop equipment. One can't run a nationals or worlds-level event without a subscription transponder any more. I would be willing to bet that we'll see a transition over the next few years for full-size racing.

There was a company called MRT that made clones of AMB transponders for R/C cars, and you could select one of 10 number sequences to avoid duplicates. AMB caught on quickly, and they don't work with the subscription-hardware loops nowadays. The R/C car transponders are potted, not on circuit boards. That makes them annoying to take apart. I bet the larger ones are the same but I am not willing to spend $500 to find out.

I'd also bet that there is something in the subscription-transponder signal itself to tell the timing loop equipment (the "loop" itself is just copper wire :P) if the transponder firmware has an active subscription or not. AMB probably patented that type of transmission and that would preclude clones (and older 260's) from working on a newer AMB loop. This is just conjecture on my part but it makes sense from a moneymaking point of view.

This also depends on the software the group is running on their timing system. I am not sure if the subscription runs on the orbits software, but the tran x 260 works fine with it.

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    Lets put them out of bussiness and do a freeware trackHQ gps based system works off your smartphone for hpde or faster gps hardwared to the car?

Leave a comment:

• wagnerov
    replied
    In the R/C car world, where AMB started decades ago, they just have tracks upgrade the timing loop equipment. One can't run a nationals or worlds-level event without a subscription transponder any more. I would be willing to bet that we'll see a transition over the next few years for full-size racing.

There was a company called MRT that made clones of AMB transponders for R/C cars, and you could select one of 10 number sequences to avoid duplicates. AMB caught on quickly, and they don't work with the subscription-hardware loops nowadays. The R/C car transponders are potted, not on circuit boards. That makes them annoying to take apart. I bet the larger ones are the same but I am not willing to spend $500 to find out.

I'd also bet that there is something in the subscription-transponder signal itself to tell the timing loop equipment (the "loop" itself is just copper wire :P) if the transponder firmware has an active subscription or not. AMB probably patented that type of transmission and that would preclude clones (and older 260's) from working on a newer AMB loop. This is just conjecture on my part but it makes sense from a moneymaking point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
    If the new system can be read by the old in ground loop that hooks into what everyone currently uses then the 260 will become increasingly like gold. Before I pay corporate greed blood money for a subscription I would find someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one. It can't be that hard I might be able to do it.
    It can't be that difficult to make the old style transponders. Maybe even take the business from AMB.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbird
    replied
    AMB is becoming the Martin Shkreli of the lap timing world.

Leave a comment:

• robburgoon
    replied
    Maybe that will be the excuse they use to require the new one, heh.

Leave a comment:

• bawareca
    replied
    Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
    someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one.
    Looks like it is time to call China

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    If the new system can be read by the old in ground loop that hooks into what everyone currently uses then the 260 will become increasingly like gold. Before I pay corporate greed blood money for a subscription I would find someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one. It can't be that hard I might be able to do it.

Leave a comment:

• fe4
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Where are you finding non-subscription 260 transloinder these days ?
    It seems like used ones float around in the $350-$500 range. But maybe those deals won't actually close, I haven't tried.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    When AMB announced the new program, I bought another one from Pegasus because I figured they'd have some still in stock. They did, but the price had mysteriously in a ****-you-we're-price-gouging-you-because-we-can kind of way increased to $499.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fe4
    replied
    Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'm waiting for that shoe to drop, the point at which AMB technology makes obsolete the AMB 260. I hope I'm wrong.
    Based on current depreciation (appreciation?) it seems like the running cost of a AMB 260 is nothing, beyond the holding cost. Whereas the new stuff costs over $100 per year or whatever. But I would hate to not realize if organizations were phasing it out. Or AMB was going to find a way to get rid of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X