Correct transponder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct transponder?

For NASA/SCCA/Speed Ventures is the AMB X 260 is the right transponder to have? It there any sign those transponders will be excluded in the future to force the subscription stuff?
    2003 Z06
    Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Originally posted by fe4 View Post
    Speed Ventures is the AMB X 260 is the right transponder to have? It there any sign those transponders will be excluded in the future to force the subscription stuff?
    That will work fine for SV, I should know. I can not speak for the others but should be fine also unless they move to the new X2 decoders...

Comment

I'm waiting for that shoe to drop, the point at which AMB technology makes obsolete the AMB 260. I hope I'm wrong.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
        I'm waiting for that shoe to drop, the point at which AMB technology makes obsolete the AMB 260. I hope I'm wrong.
        Based on current depreciation (appreciation?) it seems like the running cost of a AMB 260 is nothing, beyond the holding cost. Whereas the new stuff costs over $100 per year or whatever. But I would hate to not realize if organizations were phasing it out. Or AMB was going to find a way to get rid of it.
        2003 Z06

Comment

Where are you finding non-subscription 260 transloinder these days ?
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
            When AMB announced the new program, I bought another one from Pegasus because I figured they'd have some still in stock. They did, but the price had mysteriously in a ****-you-we're-price-gouging-you-because-we-can kind of way increased to $499.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              It seems like used ones float around in the $350-$500 range. But maybe those deals won't actually close, I haven't tried.
              2003 Z06

Comment

If the new system can be read by the old in ground loop that hooks into what everyone currently uses then the 260 will become increasingly like gold. Before I pay corporate greed blood money for a subscription I would find someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one. It can't be that hard I might be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                  someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one.
                  Looks like it is time to call China

Comment

Maybe that will be the excuse they use to require the new one, heh.

Comment

AMB is becoming the Martin Shkreli of the lap timing world.
                      Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                        If the new system can be read by the old in ground loop that hooks into what everyone currently uses then the 260 will become increasingly like gold. Before I pay corporate greed blood money for a subscription I would find someone who reverse engineers a 260 and tell homebuilds one. It can't be that hard I might be able to do it.
                        It can't be that difficult to make the old style transponders. Maybe even take the business from AMB.
                        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

In the R/C car world, where AMB started decades ago, they just have tracks upgrade the timing loop equipment. One can't run a nationals or worlds-level event without a subscription transponder any more. I would be willing to bet that we'll see a transition over the next few years for full-size racing.

There was a company called MRT that made clones of AMB transponders for R/C cars, and you could select one of 10 number sequences to avoid duplicates. AMB caught on quickly, and they don't work with the subscription-hardware loops nowadays. The R/C car transponders are potted, not on circuit boards. That makes them annoying to take apart. I bet the larger ones are the same but I am not willing to spend $500 to find out.

I'd also bet that there is something in the subscription-transponder signal itself to tell the timing loop equipment (the "loop" itself is just copper wire :P) if the transponder firmware has an active subscription or not. AMB probably patented that type of transmission and that would preclude clones (and older 260's) from working on a newer AMB loop. This is just conjecture on my part but it makes sense from a moneymaking point of view.

Comment

Lets put them out of bussiness and do a freeware trackHQ gps based system works off your smartphone for hpde or faster gps hardwared to the car?

Comment

Originally posted by wagnerov View Post
                              In the R/C car world, where AMB started decades ago, they just have tracks upgrade the timing loop equipment. One can't run a nationals or worlds-level event without a subscription transponder any more. I would be willing to bet that we'll see a transition over the next few years for full-size racing.

There was a company called MRT that made clones of AMB transponders for R/C cars, and you could select one of 10 number sequences to avoid duplicates. AMB caught on quickly, and they don't work with the subscription-hardware loops nowadays. The R/C car transponders are potted, not on circuit boards. That makes them annoying to take apart. I bet the larger ones are the same but I am not willing to spend $500 to find out.

I'd also bet that there is something in the subscription-transponder signal itself to tell the timing loop equipment (the "loop" itself is just copper wire :P) if the transponder firmware has an active subscription or not. AMB probably patented that type of transmission and that would preclude clones (and older 260's) from working on a newer AMB loop. This is just conjecture on my part but it makes sense from a moneymaking point of view.

This also depends on the software the group is running on their timing system. I am not sure if the subscription runs on the orbits software, but the tran x 260 works fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X