Official NASA National Championships Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edit. Don't wanna feed the troll
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by hakeem View Post
      Presumably unless you class yourself via the points method, but don't actually have the equipment you claim under the hood? I could understand the teardown rationale in that case (have no idea in this specific case, just speaking generally).
      One thing I thought funny about NASA's rules. If you take points for something, say like a header. You have to have it. If you don't, you can be DQ'd. I know because I got slapped on the hand for this rule once.

Also I wish they would just cap the HP/LBS and let you do what ever you need to get the numbers right. With my car, I have had such a hard time finding stock motor parts (they no longer make 12a rotary's). But to stay in PTE I have to have a stock port motor.

I know Sonny can drive. I also know the guys @ 949 can build a good handling car. You put any good driver in a good car and your going to have a winning combination.
      That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gian View Post
        One thing I thought funny about NASA's rules. If you take points for something, say like a header. You have to have it. If you don't, you can be DQ'd. I know because I got slapped on the hand for this rule once..
        I didn't know that. And I thought I've read the rules back and forth 50 times !!

Greg Greenbaum (head honcho for Writing PT and TT rules) . We bombard him with questions every month. He has always been fair and patient. We write him on every single mod, shut down about 50% of the time
        Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-12-2013, 01:43 PM.
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by flink View Post
          . . . .Whose idea was it to put this track in Utah anyway?
          FYI, lifted from Wikipedia:

"This track was originally conceived as a novelty track for Larry H. Miller, owner of the NBA's Utah Jazz and various automobile dealerships in the area, to use as a personal playground, with a budget of about $5 million. Due to enormous local motorcycle and auto industry support the concept gradually grew into an $85 million plus project, one of a kind in the U."

He seems to have been a very interesting man. He passed away a few years ago.

Larry H. Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Last edited by Loose Caboose; 10-12-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
            FYI, lifted from Wikipedia:

"This track was originally conceived as a novelty track for Larry H. Miller, owner of the NBA's Utah Jazz and various automobile dealerships in the area, to use as a personal playground, with a budget of about $5 million. Due to enormous local motorcycle and auto industry support the concept gradually grew into an $85 million plus project, one of a kind in the U."

He seems to have been a very interesting man. He passed away a few years ago.

Larry H. Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            sadly, his son died just weeks prior to the National......
            it is also has great facilities, better than any California tracks.
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              I didn't know that. And I thought I've read the rules back and forth 50 times !!

Greg Greenbaum (head honcho for Writing PT and TT rules) . We bombard him with questions every month. He has always been fair and patient. We write him on every single mod, shut down about 50% of the time
              Yeah, Greg is a funny guy. When you walk up and ask him something. It's No! But, Once you get him to sit down and talk. He is very helpful.
              I know it's not easy trying to be the rule maker, enforcer. Trying to keep all the cars on an even playing field. And I'm sure he is over whelmed with everyone asking questions. Deciphering the rules for everyone trying to bend the rule to fit what they think it should mean. But consistency is a problem.

One thing I have found to work, for this, is getting the question and his answers on a recording.
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                Edit. Don't wanna feed the troll
                Not trolling. You guys are *****ing about Sonny's teardown, and I'm trying to figure out what NASA was up to. If Sonny had a points engine, and made more power than NASA was expecting with his listed mods, then you get a teardown.

Comment

• I thought that NASA was supposed to be more sensible than SCCA. So honestly, I'm confused as to why NASA would allow a teardown protest on an engine that was only being rated on output horsepower. I mean, if it's legal to use gerbils as long as you don't have more than X horsepower and the car doesn't weigh less than Y pounds, who cares about anything else?

Steve

Comment

• If PT didn't share classing system with street legal TT, we would see an end to points for power and just have a straight weight to power ratio and use points for other mods. There's no reason for example, that a race car should take points for removing a cat or even swapping out the stock exhaust - should be free mods but would give an advantage to trailered TT cars.
                    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

• NASA's PT/TT points system is very good for what it is trying to do:
                      I would say it is very well written. There are some loopholes, but that's expected for a class that encompass every car on the market.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
                        I thought that NASA was supposed to be more sensible than SCCA. So honestly, I'm confused as to why NASA would allow a teardown protest on an engine that was only being rated on output horsepower. I mean, if it's legal to use gerbils as long as you don't have more than X horsepower and the car doesn't weigh less than Y pounds, who cares about anything else?

Steve
                        That's the question I'm trying to get Sonny to answer. If it's a dyno reclass, the teardown was kinda silly, but with how quiet he got, I'm thinking it was a points based engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X