LFX (GM V6) in a Miata @ Goodwin Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    I guess they do need to feed themselves, but I hope the cost is reasonable.

Anyway, this has been - and continues to be - a memorable thread.

These [PB] people are out of their minds. $399 yearly to host a few pictures. As Ryan said they f*cked the whole web now. I hope they will disappear due to their greed.

Comment

• Shooting themselves in the foot. It amounts to ransomware. Store your data in our cloud for free. Link web content to that data. Then we send the extortion note. Profit!

Or go out of business.

Probably is the death gurgle of photobucket
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• Transitioning over to SmugMug. It's going to be a long process but I'm going to try to work backwards, updating the latest posts first and eventually I'll get the whole thread back on-line dating further back.

Got some work done yesterday after work. I had mentioned earlier that the coolant expansion tank that I had been using with the 1.6L turned out to be too small for the LFX. So I picked up a Moroso tank with just about double the capacity:

The larger tank needed a new home, so tank position is moving to go up against the right side firewall. Because the lines to/from this tank need to be easily accessible to disconnect if I'm pulling the front nose off, I broke the lines up into two lines each, joined by bulkhead fittings on a little plate I made:

Tank and lines installed:

The tank takes up the location on the firewall where the relays and fuses were living. Because those items stay attached to the engine if the engine is pulled, and the tank stays with the chassis, I move that stuff forwards of the tank via another bracket so that it's still just one M6 bolt to remove to release that from the car. All this stuff is waterproof, but there's a splash shield integrated into the bracket, just in case:

Ryan Passey
        Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
        "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

• Detail delicious . . .

Comment

• Juuust about to go for the first test spin... turns out the clutch isn't disengaging. Wonderful. Hydraulics checked out, so there was nothing left but to drop the transmission. Hey, on the bright side this was an opportunity to go through the whole engine removal process and take notes for next time

Cooling assembly off:

Whole assembly out as a unit:

A view we don't usually get of things:

Turns out.... the clutch disc was in backwards! The doofus who installed it (yes me) missed the small mark for which side was supposed to point to the flywheel.

Going back in today.
            Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Comment

• Dammit Sean, why did you put the clutch disk backwards!
              Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

• Yeah let's blame Sean, I like that version better
                Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Comment

• Happened to me once, with much worse implications. The engine started for a few seconds and died. After that the engine was frozen and would not turn over. I almost had to cut the transmission in half to remove it. The friction disc hub was touching the throw-out bearing sleeve and once the engine started they did weld nicely together.

Comment

• Originally posted by bawareca View Post
                    Happened to me once, with much worse implications. The engine started for a few seconds and died. After that the engine was frozen and would not turn over. I almost had to cut the transmission in half to remove it. The friction disc hub was touching the throw-out bearing sleeve and once the engine started they did weld nicely together.
                    Literal friction welding
                    -Anthony
                    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                      Dammit Sean, why did you put the clutch disk backwards!
                      So I could watch him practice the quick engine removal for later, Ryan's really good about needing to replace his transmission once per season.
                      Scooby: E85 powered 1992 NA6 w/ NB1 Swap Time Attack Build
                      Scrappy: SuperMiata & Autocross Rental Build
                      Good-Win Racing | Singular Motorsports

Comment

• Time to get a hood on this thing!

The project began with a donor hood from a scrapped car. Bolted it to the hinges and set the hood down on the engine... and this is where it stopped. We're going to need to get out the grinder!

Cut a big ol' hole and now it closes.

That's it! Hood's done.

Ok, perhaps not quite. With the hood cut to clear we can see how much of the engine sits proud of the NA hood line:

Made a template for the contour needed in the hood:

Time to get the actual hood. I've had this one sitting in my garage waiting for this project. It's a dry carbon piece with integrated headlight lids. Not the prettiest finish on it since it was a function-only part and I got it second-hand but it's going to be covered in matching livery with the rest of the car when all is done. Transferred the template over to the carbon hood:

The "cut once, measure twice" point... or was it the other way around?

After many, many times of cutting, test fitting, cutting a bit more, etc. (also cut a slot for the tow hook):

Then installed the Aerocatch latches:

And it's done! I'll be adding louvers and a radiator exit duct later, but this gets the hood fitting the car and suitable for driving:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Comment

• Looks great. Who makes that hood?

Comment

• Just keeps getting better!

Comment

• Originally posted by shindul View Post
                              Looks great. Who makes that hood?
                              Thanks! Unsure who made this hood actually. But, if one wanted a lightweight hood with integrated headlight lids I'd recommend CCP Fabrication. I just ordered doors from them actually, but they do a similar hood in fiberglass that's nearly as light as this one.
                              Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Comment

• The engine's out again. I'll get to that update when I have it concluded.

While it was out of the way, I added heat shielding on the firewall behind where the engine resides:

I also added a second shield to the transmission tunnel (it already has a layer of adhesive backed insulation from the turbo days). I'm leaving the first layer in place and adding to that a modern-style thin aluminum layer with an air gap between it and the tunnel - very much like Moti did on Morpheus.

I started with a tunnel shield from an ND Miata. With the insulation layer removed (black part in the photo) it is a featherweight. Essentially no weight penalty for adding it.

Then I formed it to fit the NA tunnel:

Installed, with ~1/4" air gap:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Comment

Working...
                                X