Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

In-car race video from Thunderhill NASA / PRC April 17th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-car race video from Thunderhill NASA / PRC April 17th.

I didn't want to **** up the lap times thread, so figured I'd post it here.

Was a great event, over 40 cars in the PRC race (about 6 or 7 GT cars, a bunch of Spec 911 and a bunch of Spec 944's). My best lap according to mylaps was on lap 12 of 13, which starts at around the 6:50 time mark of the second video (or 24:45 of the data overlay).

I've driven TH a bunch, but it was the third time in the car and first time racing with NASA/PRC so I was trying to be on my best behavior in traffic. Made a few mistakes on the first lap since we had adjusted tire pressures after qualifying and I forgot. Still a bunch of time left in the car and my lines probably aren't optimal but figured someone might want to kill time at work. :-)

Part 1: YouTube - nasa / prc @ thunderhill 04-17-2011, part 1
    Part 2: YouTube - nasa / prc @ thunderhill 04-17-2011, part 2

-mike
    twitter: updates from the track.
    youtube: in-car videos.

Very nice! That is a very nice car. A lot of traffic, for sure, but everyone seemed sane (well, as sane as people get at racetracks).

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve! Went out to TH yesterday for a little test & tune. Earlier this week I received a few tips from a buddy/pro who watched those videos and has a massive amount of seat time in the 911 Cups.

We ran a few 20 minute sessions and I was able to cut my lap times by 3 *seconds*. Packed up and went home a little early after a pebble got stuck between the front caliper and rim and machined a pretty deep groove down the center of the wheel hoop. Either way I was happy to get out of there with a 1:50.3 (over the cyclone) and a much better feel of the car. I'm still about 2 seconds off the pro's, but I have an idea where my weak points reside and think I can improve them the next time.

-mike

Comment

What did he have you doing? I had a few thoughts (mainly about braking earlier and getting on the power early to pin the tail) but wasn't sure how my pokey SRF translates to the 911, despite the similar weight bias.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
          What did he have you doing? I had a few thoughts (mainly about braking earlier and getting on the power early to pin the tail) but wasn't sure how my pokey SRF translates to the 911, despite the similar weight bias.

Steve
          3 main things. first, going down a gear in a few of the corners. i was lugging the car like i did in the old 996 WC car (which has about 75 more hp), instead of using the sequential to my full advantage and upshifting in the middle of the corner which let's you keep the rpms high and make the most power (these motors have hardly any torque). second, being more aggressive w/ the throttle at the middle-exit of the corner. i was having problems with grip on exit which was why i was so gentle with the throttle. i think going down a gear helped exponentially cause it allowed me to apply more torque/power which in turn moved more weight to the rear to help get the car to squat on exit which then provided more grip/stability. and thirdly, not being such a little ***** when it comes to the braking zones! since these cars like trail braking, it helps to go deeper and do the last ~20% of slowing down to the apex. :-)

i still have more work to do with timing the downshifts to get the most out of the braking zones, and being even more aggressive with the gas pedal, but i think i turned a corner (no pun intended) with the car yesterday.

-mike

Comment

Hi Mike, and welcome to THQ. Do you only race with Norcal NASA, or do you race with Socal NASA also? Ive heard about PRC (Porsche Racing Challenge), but dont know anything about it. What can you tell me about PRC?

And thanks for posting your videos. The sound of a sequential is awesome. And it looks like you have some really good grip. What sort of a Porsche do you drive? Care to list the specs? Like your suspension mods, weight of your car with you in it after your race, your whp, tire type/size/compound, engine size...
            Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
            Robispec
            Girodisc
            SCM
            APR

Comment

Originally posted by Bueller View Post
              Hi Mike, and welcome to THQ. Do you only race with Norcal NASA, or do you race with Socal NASA also? Ive heard about PRC (Porsche Racing Challenge), but dont know anything about it. What can you tell me about PRC?

And thanks for posting your videos. The sound of a sequential is awesome. And it looks like you have some really good grip. What sort of a Porsche do you drive? Care to list the specs? Like your suspension mods, weight of your car with you in it after your race, your whp, tire type/size/compound, engine size...
              Hey Ed, thanks for the welcome!

I've been with SCCA (cal club @ BW last month was the first time i drove this car. lol), Pirelli Cup (auto club speedway 2 weekends ago), and NASA / PRC so far this year. I wasn't planning much else in Socal this year, but I do want to get down to Willowsprings and it's always been one of my favorite tracks. PRC is really fun. It's a good group of guys who mostly know each other. It's more gentlemanly racing than anything else. Some of the guys are really quick and some have just got started. They're focused on no-contact and having fun. They have interesting rules about not using slower traffic to help overtake other cars for position and things like that, so it tends to be safe and let's everyone drive hard with as little impact from other cars as possible. There tends to be a wide speed differential between cars in the group- from Cups like mine to spec 944's and everything in between (any Porsche race car is allowed). Makes for a fun race with 40+ cars out there and everyone behaving nicely and wanting to take their cars home in one piece.

The car in the TH video is my 2009 Porsche GT3 Cup. It's a factory spec car- the 3.6L motor is rated at 420hp (crank) and weighs about 2800lbs with me in it. Tires in the video were Michelin Slicks, but I have to run Pirelli club sport slicks in the Pirelli Cup races, or sometimes I'll run take-off Yoko scrubs from the local teams.

My old one is JvO's old Flying Lizard 996 World Challenge car. It's actually sitting in my garage and for sale. If anyone's interested let me know and we can make a deal. (it's faster than my 997)

-mike

Comment

Working...
              X