T-hill first time, what configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-hill first time, what configuration

I am trying to make sure I get up to Thunderhill. It's a long haul from LA so I don't think I will do it more than a couple times.

It seems like there are a lot of configuration options for the track - if I am only going to make it there a couple times, are there any I should avoid or make sure to attend for? It's slim pickings on Motorsportreg right now.
    2003 Z06
    Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

I haven't been there yet, either, but I keep threatening to go. I want to run the 25 hour course.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by fe4 View Post
      I am trying to make sure I get up to Thunderhill. It's a long haul from LA so I don't think I will do it more than a couple times.

It seems like there are a lot of configuration options for the track - if I am only going to make it there a couple times, are there any I should avoid or make sure to attend for? It's slim pickings on Motorsportreg right now.
      The classic course forwards and backwards is pretty solid. Both the turn 4(?) hill and the bypass are fun for different reasons. Don't know anything about the add on, other than it looks technical and maybe a bit blind.

Comment

Either run the 3 mile or the 5mile. Bypass or no bypass on the 3 mile is fine. Difference isn't much. Both are fun.

I'd advice the 3 mile first as that will let you come upto speed faster. The 5mile consists of about 90% of the 3 mile config.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
          The classic course forwards and backwards is pretty solid. Both the turn 4(?) hill and the bypass are fun for different reasons. Don't know anything about the add on, other than it looks technical and maybe a bit blind.
          Dumb question - what's the classic course? The 15(?) turn 3-mile?
          2003 Z06

Comment

Originally posted by fe4 View Post
            Dumb question - what's the classic course? The 15(?) turn 3-mile?
            east course is the classic one, yeah 15 turns. 3 miles sounds about right.

Comment

Well, I drove up from LA to run the West course, and to try out the new SCCA time trial format. For something that doesn't take the car out of third gear, it was a fun track. Maybe not quite 900 miles round trip fun, but the SCCA format was interesting as well. Need to find a way to drive the East course, the facility overall was really impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVg-RYLG0f4
              2003 Z06

Comment

Looks like a hoot. What are your alignment settings? Did you upgrade the factory eccentric bolts? I see some people add spacers to keep the alignment straight.
                SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                  Looks like a hoot. What are your alignment settings? Did you upgrade the factory eccentric bolts? I see some people add spacers to keep the alignment straight.
                  stop reading what people say on Vette forum. most of them are Intermediate groups on a good day. Many of west coast fast Vette guys are here on Trackhq, FE4 is one of the fast Vette.

oh, stop pretending you just bought one of pristine c5z06 already. let's start modding the car and start tracking it !!! you know this is TRACKHQ forum !!
                  S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

That's fine and dandy, but the question remains, are upgraded eccentrics and spacers needed?
                    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                      That's fine and dandy, but the question remains, are upgraded eccentrics and spacers needed?
                      My alignment is something like:

camber
                      -2.2F
                      -1.3R

toe
                      zero front
                      the normal toe-in rear

caster
                      probably low 6? maybe high 5. max camber and uca bushing slip means caster is dropping out of spec.

At the car's current ride height, which is about in OEM range, that's pretty close to max camber. Definitely more available if it was lowered. Tire wear is pretty even for most of the tires I run, but I stay in the 100-200TW range.

The car's really stock, so the stock eccentrics have worked for me. They have slipped on track once (and on the street once as well, which was amusing) back on some alignments in 2011/2012. Since that point I have been militant about forcing the alignment guy to use an actual torque wrench, at the actual torque spec, and they have not ever slipped. Those conversations can be awkward, but are totally worth it. But I don't race, I don't use Hoosiers, aero etc. So your results may vary.

Lloyd
                      2003 Z06

Comment

Thanks for the reference. Miatas have similar issues. You really have to over-torque the eccentrics or they will come loose on track.
                        SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Working...
                        X