Infineon Open Track Weekend Events in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infineon Open Track Weekend Events in 2012

If you are interested in a weekend at Infineon/Sears Point in 2012, which is the best road course west of the Mississippi and one of the best in the country if not the world. There are not that many opportunities to run a weekend at Infineon, because of professional races (its one of the two NASCAR road courses, Indy Cars, etc.) and SCCA and NASA run W2W race weekends (NASA does have HPDE, but sign up fast, it always sells out), and other events that limit the number of HPDE weekends. But here are two I know about:

Saturday Sept. 15th and Sunday Sept. 16th, 2012.

Saturday Nov. 17th and Sunday Nov. 18th, 2012.

For each of these weekends, Sat. is Track Masters Racing (TMR), and Sun. is Checkered Flag Racing Assn. (CFRA). TMR is a regular HDPE organization that should be familiar to you. CFRA is a private club and you have to be sponsored to run as a guest. I am a CFRA member and I'm willing to sponsor anyone I know (except that guy in the Jaku karate chop Mustang).

I ran one of these shared TMR/CFRA Infineon events last weekend, and had a blast.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

I believe that NASA has six weekends at Infineon next year.

4x20 minute HPDE sessions per day does suck a bit, but by the end of an eight-session weekend, you feel like you've had a lot of track time.

It is indeed a great track and everyone should make the effort to get there at least one weekend in their lives. But I do find that the track's great complexity gets in the way of the racing a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
      I believe that NASA has six weekends at Infineon next year.

4x20 minute HPDE sessions per day does suck a bit . . .
      The only solution to that is to bite the bullet, pay double, and run in HPDE-4 and TT. I have done that with NASA NorCal at Infineon. You get 7 x 20 minute sessions per day (the first run session of those two groups is combined, so you get 7 sessions, not 8). Just steer clear of Jerry Kunzman. What a putz!

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

oh no, you didn't flip off Jerry?

Comment

^^^ Haha, no. To make a long story short, he sent out the first run group of the morning out at 8:00 a.m. in fog so thick you couldn't see 20 feet. I told him I thought it was dangerous -- I thought I was doing him a favor. He told me I had to leave the event immediately because the release you sign when you come in the front gate says that if there is an unsafe condition that is not the fault of NASA (fog is not NASA's fault), you need to leave the facility. He later came up to me and apologized, but he never should have said it in the first place.

Comment

Yeah, their chief steward used the same line in a drivers meeting when someone complained about NASA changing the course config mid-race "to keep us on our toes"

There are various degrees of unsafe you goofs.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              Yeah, their chief steward used the same line in a drivers meeting when someone complained about NASA changing the course config mid-race "to keep us on our toes"
              Who does that?

Why are the good tracks so far away?
              99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
              '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                Who does that?

Why are the good tracks so far away?
                Umm... NASA norcal?

Good tracks... you mean good garages, bathrooms, and cafeterias right? Or maybe good onsite mechanics? :-D

Comment

Infineon, T-Hill, Laguna > Buttonwillow, ACS, WSIR

Although I do love WSIR.
                  Last edited by Richard EVO; 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Umm... NASA norcal?
                    Who DOES that not WHO does that? It was rhetorical either way.

Good tracks... you mean good garages, bathrooms, and cafeterias right? Or maybe good onsite mechanics? :-D
                    No, I meant the actual tracks.
                    Last edited by Red_5; 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM.
                    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                      Infineon, T-Hill, Laguna > Buttonwillow, ACS, WSIR

Although I do love WSIR.
                      I agree. Infineon and T-hill are my favorite tracks. Only problem is that I'm the only T1 racer in NorCal and one of the only ST2 racers.
                      99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                      99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Runoffs at WSIR would be freaking AWESOME.

Comment

^^^ You won't get an argument from me. I can just run lap after lap after lap on that track. Never get tired WSIR. Never feel like I went fast enough. Always happy to keep trying.

Comment

Umm... NASA norcal?

Doh!
                            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

If I could only run Infineon and WSIR for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind that very much.
                              Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
                              Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

Comment

Working...
                              X