Leave a comment:

• Loose Caboose
    replied

Some specifics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=z_7aTQzpIOI

Leave a comment:

• Blackbird
    replied
    Exactly, and despite some of the negative talk, it's more than likely that they have nailed it.

Leave a comment:

• Silversprint
    replied
    The supra will probably out sell the Z4 three to one. This is similar to the FRS vs BRZ.

The Z4 is more expensive than the Supra. The supra is a hardtop, lighter, faster with less power, will get better MPG, and will be cheaper to insure. Toyota also has a much larger dealer network.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbird
    replied
    I am wondering if Toyota made the calculation that in order to sell a bunch of Supras they should avoid building a car that competes on the same square as the Nissan GT-R for example, because that market is small.
    Instead, aim at a lower market which BMW sells a lot of cars into, and the thought was that their best way to compete with BMW on the same square is to... Sell a BMW..

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    If there is that much bmw in there I cannot bring myself to buy it. I just put a radiator in 3 series. Their superior German engineering outsmarts itself to the point of failure and accessory failure points we just don’t need.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    It isn't a Toyota. it isn't 50% Toyota. from few of walk around reviews I've seen, it is not even 10% Toyota. nobody has yet to find a Toyota part on the car. Pretty sure there are a few Toyota part number, like oil dip stick, as BMW haven't made in in a decade?

and this is how the Toyota "chief engineer" lied about all those 10 fake vents....and was immediately called out on the BS.
    https://jalopnik.com/i-just-dont-bel...ine-1831838527

Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Naw, the owners I know think it's ugly too.

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied
    Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post

Can't outrun ugly.
    Although Civic Type R owners would beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
    The Z4 version ran a faster lap time on the nurburgring than the m2. The supra hardtop is lighter, stiffer, and faster to 60 than the convertible Z4.
    Can't outrun ugly.

Leave a comment:

• Silversprint
    replied
    My complaint is it doesn't have back seats. That was one of the things that made the old supra different. You could buy the old supra make 500hp and and drive it for 200k miles with your kids in the back.

Leave a comment:

• Nurburgring
    replied
    I´ll go against the current on this one.
    - The BMW B58 engine has been mostly trouble free, and it´s an easy 400whp with just ECU reprogramming (DME is already cracked). Turbo and oil pump, among other smaller engine parts, are Supra-specific, I´m prety sure Toyota will not compromise on reliability, it´s their core strentgh. Head of develompent said "BMW couldn’t believe how extensive some of our quality and efficiency studies were as parts came into shape one by one. We would take every bit down to a fastener or rivet, and put it through our stringent quality control and a dozen other testing, we’d ship thousands of parts back to Japan for analysis. That is normal to us. Each piece we test at our level".
    - The ZF 8HP gearbox has proven smooth, fast and reliable.
    - Rear electronic differential from the M series works very well.
    - Handling was one of the top priorities during development, with Tada San at the helm (same guy who lead the GT86 design). 50:50 weight distribution, very low COG (lower than GT86), and very high torsional stiffness (higher than the LFA carbon fiber tube).

It´s much more a sports car than previous Supras, which were more on the GT side. Price is very decent for the overall package.
    I think they will sell a lot, and aftermarket support will be awesome. Good job Toyota.

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    Originally posted by OJR View Post
    A lot of negativity in here when they are the only Japanese company willing to build performance cars for enthusiasts in recent years. Price is not bad either when you look at the the competition(Cayman). Yes, nowadays working with another manufacturer to help share costs on a low volume sports car is necessary.
    Toyota didn't build this Supra. Couldn't say what the percentage of final car is theirs but it's certainly below 50%. Mazda, OTOH, singlehandedly built the current MX5. Nissan offers the GTR and 370Z, both unique platforms.

While I always appreciate any mfr for bringing a new performance car to market, I can't always applaud the resulting product.

Leave a comment:

• OJR
    replied
    A lot of negativity in here when they are the only Japanese company willing to build performance cars for enthusiasts in recent years. Price is not bad either when you look at the the competition(Cayman). Yes, nowadays working with another manufacturer to help share costs on a low volume sports car is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Silversprint
    replied
    I've never had a new BMW give me any issues. I beat the crap out of them too. The only time one broke was my e46 m3 smg at autoclub speedway. The transmission died. The BMW dealer sent a tow truck to the track. Picked up the car and fixed it free under warranty.

I don't buy used BMW's without warranties. They don't seem to age well. Same can be said for any European car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X