Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Does compression alone create horsepower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does compression alone create horsepower?

Here's something I don't think I ever figured out. If you have two engines, identical in every way except for the compression ratio, would the one with a higher compression ratio make more power?

As an example, say you have two old school 350 Chevrolets, one with 9.5:1 and one with 10.5:1. All other components of the engines are idenical. Does the one with 10.5:1 make more power?

www.TrackHQ.com

I'd say yes, more power. The reason being you get to ride more of the bang and waste less of it.

Suppose you had almost no compression ratio. You'd make a lot of fire but wouldn't do much.

Comment

Blah blah octane, blah blah timing...

Comment

Thinking about it more, would there be a geometric increase as compression ratio rises? Taken further, for example, let's say you had four identical 350 Chevrolets. 7.5:1, 8.5:1, 9.5:1 and 10.5:1.

The power gains are greater as compression rises. In other words, expressed as a percentage, the power gain from 9.5 to 10.5 would be greater than those from 8.5 to 9.5 and from 7.5 to 8.5.
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Logarithmic, aka diminishing returns I think.

Comment

I'm betting on a parabolic curve, normal distribution.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

This topic is click bait for engineers.
              Look it up yourself
              Start with Carnot
              Pronounced car know

Comment

A good overview:
                https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/boost...sion-benefits/

. . . .Or see the "bottom line" formula below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	263804

The "full Monty" - a very comprehensive article, including discussion of octane, and boost vis a vis compression:

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...tio-101-part2/
                Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-25-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Looks like the returns are indeed decreasing. Maybe not log-decreasing...

Comment

In relation to your Miata build, I would suggest that your aspiration is to be as close as possible to 9.50000000 as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
                      In relation to your Miata build, I would suggest that your aspiration is to be as close as possible to 9.50000000 as possible.
                      Agreed.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                        Looks like the returns are indeed decreasing. Maybe not log-decreasing...
                        Natch!

I'm not a science/math/engineering guy; but -plugging in numbers - it is increasing because the fraction inside the parenthesis is a larger numerator when the compression is increased; and no exponents hint at a non-log function.

Plus, why would anyone increase compression anyway if it reduces output?

Or not . . .

I

Comment

Returns decreasing. Still going up, but less and less quickly. As in, going to 2:1 to 3:1 is awesome, 11:1 to 12:1 not nearly as awesome. Aka diminishing returns. But yeah, probably no logs or exp here.

Edit: Would be amusing if there was a stealth exponent from calculation of volume for calculation of ratio... but probably not, hehe. I have better problems to think about.
                          Last edited by robburgoon; 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I misunderstood (all too typically) your word "returns" to mean "results". Hence, my very boneheaded question. :-(

Comment

Working...
                            X