NASA TREC Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA TREC Racing

https://www.facebook.com/10478684951...261899516/?d=n if you have any questions please comment below

I might suggest linking to the web based press release and some basic info about the new program.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

To compete in TREC, you need a NASA membership and a valid driver's license. It helps greatly to have some HPDE experience, and is recommended, but not required. If you are too slow, as to create an impedance, you likely will see a black flag. You also need a race-prepped car that meets NASA tech specifications.

The rules are linked below.
      https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...TREC_Rules.pdf

There is a list of frequently asked questions here:
      https://community.drivenasa.com/topi...challenge-faq/

Register for the first SoCal TREC event here:
      https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/3249

There are TREC events around the country, too.
      https://nasaproracing.com/events

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I am happy to see more endurance racing, but I am a little confused about why these events have zero licensing requirements. I think NASA and SCCA are probably stricter than they need to be for their traditional racing classes, but what makes endurance racing safer for newbies? Lemons and Chump/Champ, and now lucky dog all look fun, but one of the things that makes me think twice about racing with them is the massive variety of skill level.
        2002 Porsche 911 Targa
        1967 GTV
        1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
        2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

The no license requirement is simply the marketing status quo. Is it a good idea? Of course not. Does it lower the perceived barrier to entry for newbs? Absolutely.
          Club racing never got huge in the US. It's heydays probably the 80's and 90's. Autocross has always had something like 10x the participation of road racing. Early 2000's Lemons exploded onto the scene, sealing club racing's fate. NASA has been surprisingly slow on the uptake, give their decline in numbers. Last two years T25 didn't sell out. Kudos to them for trying all manner of programs and rules revisions to try to remain profitable and somewhat relevant over the last decade. They didn't give up right away but finally caved in and said, "wheel to wheel in crapcans without a comp license?.. That'll be $800 please.

Budget enduro is here to stay, with all its warts. Disparity in driver skill, vast chasms of ability to be blunt, are part of the price.
          Last edited by emilio700; 01-21-2020, 05:25 PM.
          WWW.949RACING.COM
          SuperMiata

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
            The no license requirement is simply the marketing status quo. Is it a good idea? Of course not. Does it lower the perceived barrier to entry for newbs? Absolutely.
            Club racing never got huge in the US. It's heydays probably the 80's and 90's. Autocross has always had something like 10x the participation of road racing. Early 2000's Lemons exploded onto the scene, sealing club racing's fate. NASA has been surprisingly slow on the uptake, give their decline in numbers. Last two years T25 didn't sell out. Kudos to them for trying all manner of programs and rules revisions to try to remain profitable and somewhat relevant over the last decade. They didn't give up right away but finally caved in and said, "wheel to wheel in crapcans without a comp license?.. That'll be $800 please.

Budget enduro is here to stay, with all its warts. Disparity in driver skill, vast chasms of ability to be blunt, are part of the price.
            I understand the appeal of low budget endurance racing. I understand that driver disparity will exist in all classes of racing, despite the level of budget (sometimes this disparity goes up inversely proportional to the budget). I simply don’t understand waving the racing license requirement.

Perceived cons of a racing license:
            You need to get a medical to prove that you are healthy enough to be in racing situations
            You need to go to a driving school to demonstrate that you’re capable of being safe on the racetrack
            You need to study the rules/regulations to prove that you understand the rules and can follow them with the other drivers

Why are these things bad?

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 01-25-2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Southern California Region
              Hello NASA Drivers!

I hope everyone enjoyed the winter break and you are excited to get back out to the race track!

Only 3 weeks until our first event at Chuckwalla and 5 weeks to the launch of a new racing series called Team Racing Endurance Challenge (TREC) that will support Round 1 of WERC at Willow Springs. NASA is launching this series tailored to the HPDE level driver that doesn't have a competition license but wants to go racing. The series is focused on fun and learning vs winning. Race prepared safety equipment is required but cars will utilize a (DOT) 180 (or greater) treadwear rated tire. This is a great way to experience your first race without spending years in HPDE and comp school.

https://community.drivenasa.com/topic/55669-team-racing-endurance-challenge-faq/

This is the perfect opportunity to share costs with friends and race together as a team. **Invite a licensed driver to help mentor your team and that driver is FREE!

Saturday Format:
              8:00 Driver Meeting
              9:30-10:00- TREC Qualification
              10:00-12:30 - TREC Race 1
              1:30-2:00 - WERC Qualification
              2:00-5:00- TREC Race 1 (continued)
              6:00-9:30- WERC Round 1

Sunday Format:
              9:00-3:00 - TREC Race 2

REGISTER HERE
              https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/3249

Regards,

Ryan Flaherty
              Regional Director
              2020 SEASON SCHEDULE

February 15/16 – Chuckwalla (SoCal Crossover w/ Arizona)
              February 29/1- Willow Springs (Enduro Weekend WERC/TREC)
              March 14/15 – Auto Club Speedway (*Banquet Sat)
              April 18/19 – Buttonwillow
              May 15-17 – Auto Club Speedway
              June 13/14 – Buttonwillow
              Sept 10-13 – UMC (National Championships)
              Oct 10/11 – Buttonwillow

Ready for a RACE LICENSE?
              March 7/8 – Buttonwillow – *Comp School Only*
              SPREAD THE WORD
              OFFICIAL NATIONAL PARTNERS
              CONNECT WITH US
              Copyright © 2020 National Auto Sport Association, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
              You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Comment

Working...
              X