Carvana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvana

Anyone on here bought a car through Carvana before? If so what was your experience?
    They have a Corvette GS my wife is interested in. They will bring it to your house and give you 1 hour to look it over. If you like it, you pay them and then you have 7-days to "test drive" it (up to 400 miles). If you don't want to keep it you call them up and they come pick it up and refund your money. Price on the car is low end of KBB dealer price. Seems too good to be true?
    Interestingly the first (of 2) owner(s) of the car was the US Government for a "dignitary vehicle". It was only driven 350 miles in the first 3-years. What's that all about?

Although I haven’t bought a car through Carvana. Between a friend and I, we'’ve sold cars to Carvana, Shift, Vroom and Carmax within last 6 months.

What I can say is Carvana, Vroom and Shift are start up companies that’s trying to grab market shares that don’t care how much it loses per car transaction. They typically pays $1,000 to $2,000 more than Carmax and really don’t check for condition of the car much.

Carvana and Shift - you fill out info online, get an estimate. they come to you in an Uber, look the car over (sometime in the dark) in 10 min. And give you a check.

Vroom - fill on info online. Get a number. You agree, they send you a fed ex label. You send them your title. They send a trucking company to pick up your car next day. They wire you money within 24 hours. Note this is a trucking company picking it up, not Vroom. Vroom probably won't see the car for couple of weeks, your car might as well be trashed.... as for vroom, they offered me same money my local dealer are SELLING them for RETAIL..

Carvana is a public company, that's losing close to $300 million on a 4 billion per year sale.... Shift and Vroom are planning to go public. may be that's why they are throwing money at you to get business. which might be a good news for you.

Carmax offer very little money and they really look over your car. Easily a 30-40 minute process. I don't recommend selling to Carmax (I've done a few times in the past) when the other 3 companies are around that pays good money.

btw, while these 3 companies pay good money to buy your car, but it has to be something they can sell (without sending to auction). so late model cars / suv only. No, they won't offer you good money (they will make stupid low offer for cars they don't want) for your 1999 Integra Type-R or 1972 Ferrari 308, but they offer retail for say a 2016 CRV.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 11-14-2019, 09:20 AM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger and Carvana is delivering my wife's Corvette to our house this Saturday morning at 9:30. We then have 1 hour to test it out and if we want to keep it they pull the funds from our account. They deliver it with no deposit. Just for fun we wanted to pick it up from one of their "vending machines", but the nearest one is 91 miles away in Westminster. None in San Diego yet.
      Stay tuned.........

Comment

I wonder what will become of those vending machines when the company goes belly up?
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
          I wonder what will become of those vending machines when the company goes belly up?
          We will use them to store our race cars between races. A consortium of racers will build a garage down below next door with six lifts for pre-race prep work.
          To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I am betting against the company. shorted (actually a put option) on Carvana (CVNA) stock. wish me luck !!!
            hope the vending machine isn't a thing.....
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
              My guess would be they would be turned into high end taco shops LOL

Comment

Originally posted by craZee View Post
                Well, I pulled the trigger and Carvana is delivering my wife's Corvette to our house this Saturday morning at 9:30.
                I bought a Carvana car a few weeks ago.

Some notes:
                - verify the mileage that they have on their forms and what's on the odometer. Mine was delivered with 500 more miles than stated. This could have been a huge issue had I not kept it, as they charge something like $1/mile over 400.
                - I'm in the registration process. It's taking a long time because they lost the first certified envelope with my power of attorney and vin inspection. fun.
                - They take care of the registration and such. The registration fees Carvana charged me was half what it would have cost me to register the car myself.
                - I'm suppose to have two keys. They only had one at the time of delivery. I'm still waiting for the second set
                - Car was as clean as described on their website
                - I had my car delivered on Saturday. Monday I had a PPI scheduled to have the tech check for ECU tunes, GCU updates, etc. Came back clean
                - MUCH better than dealing with a brick/mortar dealership.
                Last edited by Kam; 11-15-2019, 01:21 PM.
                4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                  I bought a Carvana car a few weeks ago.

Some notes:
                  - verify the mileage that they have on their forms and what's on the odometer. Mine was delivered with 500 more miles than stated. This could have been a huge issue had I not kept it, as they charge something like $1/mile over 400.
                  - I'm in the registration process. It's taking a long time because they lost the first certified envelope with my power of attorney and vin inspection. fun.
                  - They take care of the registration and such. The registration fees Carvana charged me was half what it would have cost me to register the car myself.
                  - I'm suppose to have two keys. They only had one at the time of delivery. I'm still waiting for the second set
                  - Car was as clean as described on their website
                  - I had my car delivered on Saturday. Monday I had a PPI scheduled to have the tech check for ECU tunes, GCU updates, etc. Came back clean
                  - MUCH better than dealing with a brick/mortar dealership.
                  Thanks for the tips!

Comment

I bought a car from Carvana almost 3 years ago and figured I would relate my experience (a positive one) although not sure how much has changed since.

Bought a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST with around 5000 miles. Had to fly in and pick it up since at the time, they did not deliver out to San Diego. So, flew to Houston and they picked me up the next morning and took me to the vending machine location. Staff was super friendly and experience was good (although vending machine is about as gimmicky as you figure it would be).

Car only had one key but they agreed to pay for me to purchase and have programmed a second key when I got back to San Diego. About 250 miles outside of Houston on my drive home, clutch pedal went to the floor. Ford issue as it turns out the Fiesta had issues with the clutch slave cylinder. While I was on the side of the road dealing with the logistics of getting it fixed (under warranty at Ford), someone from the local Carvana gave me a call to see how it was going and I told them about the clutch issue. They had a manager call me back and she picked up my hotel room and said she would send me a couple gift cards to help cover the cost of food/extras (which she did send).

So, overall, their service was pretty good. I am looking at trading the Fiesta in and getting another car from them so interested to hear about your experience dealing with them now.

Comment

They dropped the car off this morning. Overall it is going well, however there are lots of questions you ask their staff that they don't know the answers to. For example, I hold all of my cars in the name of our family trust. No dealer has ever had a problem issuing the title that way. The guy I talked to at Carvana didn't even know what a trust was, and when I asked for his supervisor I was told by him that I needed to hire my attorney to do it LOL I can transfer it once I get the title that's in my personal name, but it costs me something like $100. This step could be eliminated if Carvana knew what they were doing.. Taking the car in for a PPI on Monday. Overall it appears to be as represented

Comment

I can’t remember where I read it, but there was a guy that bought a Corvette from Carvana. turns out the dealer would not warranty it because it was a factory demo/track car , and that voided the warranty. Have a dealer verify the remaining warranty within the 7 days.

here is the link: https://youtu.be/K1gd3Jlj5Bk
                        Last edited by GraemeD; 11-17-2019, 07:48 AM. Reason: Found link

Comment

There is no remaining factory warranty on this car

It's a Corvette. They don't ever break right? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by craZee View Post
                            Overall it is going well, however there are lots of questions you ask their staff that they don't know the answers to.
                            My experience as well. The purchasing and delivery process was good (if not about 20minutes late for me), but calling their customer service can be trying at times.

The good thing is, their staff is generally happy to help, even if they don't know what to do. Also, their hold music makes me want to choke a pigeon.

TrackHQ member buying a Corvette? That's rare.

4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Took the car in today for a PPI from a reputable Corvette mechanic here in San Diego. Too many concerns for me to want to keep the car. Over 2 dozen error codes in the cars 33,000 mile history. At some point battery acid dripped on to the wiring harness, which may explain a bunch of them. Guess I will find out how easy their return policy is. Lots of other smaller issues as well. Stay tuned
                              Last edited by craZee; 11-18-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X